I don't want medication!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've been absent from this website for some time and am currently not on any medication for my diabetes (I'm a T2). However, after feeling really unwell for the last 3 days with various symptoms including blood sugar of 14.4 and high pulse (over 100) my surgery are now suggesting I go onto metformin.

I usually only have an annual diabetes check/Hba1c ( this is due in around 6 weeks time). My last Hba1c was 50. The nurse at the surgery thinks I currently have a viral infection but with only telephone appointments and photo's (I have a rash on parts of my body) she wasn't 100% sure on this. They want to book me in for a blood test and bring my Hba1c and annual check forward.

I've heard quite a lot of bad things about metformin and stomach issues so really don't want to be put on it. I have ad hoc issues with abdominal/gastro pain anyway which may be linked to my fibromyalgia. I feel that this is being "pushed" on me.

Anyway, here are my readings for today - 9.6 taken very late morning. Nothing to eat prior to this and only a soda water to take other meds. 10.1 by 3pm and I had lunch at midday which was an Aldi Chicken, Tomato & Basil Salad. After having a couple of wraps (Falafel & Houmous and Mackerel) and a small (regular) bag of crisps between 5-7pm I then tested around 7.45pm and was 11.8.

Do people think it's due to a viral infection and feeling unwell that my sugars are a bit high? Just to say I normally eat a lot more day to day and never test. However, the nurse asked me to test approx every 4 hours after I said I had a monitor etc.

Personally I want to hold out until I get the results of a blood test and then make a decision as it could be I'm borderline for considering meds. I believe a Hba1c result of 52 or more is when they recommend meds?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been absent from this website for some time and am currently not on any medication for my diabetes (I'm a T2). However, after feeling really unwell for the last 3 days with various symptoms including blood sugar of 14.4 and high pulse (over 100) my surgery are now suggesting I go onto metformin.

I usually only have an annual diabetes check/Hba1c ( this is due in around 6 weeks time). My last Hba1c was 50. The nurse at the surgery thinks I currently have a viral infection but with only telephone appointments and photo's (I have a rash on parts of my body) she wasn't 100% sure on this. They want to book me in for a blood test and bring my Hba1c and annual check forward.

I've heard quite a lot of bad things about metformin and stomach issues so really don't want to be put on it. I have ad hoc issues with abdominal/gastro pain anyway which may be linked to my fibromyalgia. I feel that this is being "pushed" on me.

Anyway, here are my readings for today - 9.6 taken very late morning. Nothing to eat prior to this and only a soda water to take other meds. 10.1 by 3pm and I had lunch at midday which was an Aldi Chicken, Tomato & Basil Salad. After having a couple of wraps (Falafel & Houmous and Mackerel) and a small (regular) bag of crisps between 5-7pm I then tested around 7.45pm and was 11.8.

Do people think it's due to a viral infection and feeling unwell that my sugars are a bit high? Just to say I normally eat a lot more day to day and never test. However, the nurse asked me to test approx every 4 hours after I said I had a monitor etc.

Personally I want to hold out until I get the results of a blood test and then make a decision as it could be I'm borderline for considering meds. I believe a Hba1c result of 52 or more is when they recommend meds?
How many carbs are you eating per day? Wraps are high in carbs and I find that they affect my BS more that most foods. To be effective you need to test just before you eat and 2 hours after - although if it’s particularly carby I sometimes test at the 3 hour point as well so I can see whether my BS is still going up or coming down. However illness can make your BS rise as well.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many carbs are you eating per day? Wraps are high in carbs and I find that they affect my BS more that most foods. To be effective you need to test just before you eat and 2 hours after - although if it’s particularly carby I sometimes test at the 3 hour point as well so I can see whether my BS is still going up or coming down. However illness can make your BS rise as well.

Hi, I don't know how many carbs were in the wraps or the pasta as I don't carb count and don't usually test or monitor my blood sugar levels. I did test prior to actually eating the pasta. I'll obviously be doing some more tests tomorrow which may give me a better idea as to what my body is doing and how it's reacting to certain foods.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi,

I never have to take medication.

I changed what my diet and exercised more.

Look up Low carb, get liftting weight and do some cardio.

IF you do that you will see big improvements but be care full if your heart rate is high speak to your Doctor first.

Also read the book the diabetes code that is really good for helping getting your bloods in control.

Virus can affect blood sugar levels, so it could easily be a virus. But also they kept asking me when I was diagnosed if I was feeling unwell in the week before hand. As a lot people do feel unwell due to high sugars.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I never have to take medication.

I changed what my diet and exercised more.

Look up Low carb, get liftting weight and do some cardio.

IF you do that you will see big improvements but be care full if your heart rate is high speak to your Doctor first.

Also read the book the diabetes code that is really good for helping getting your bloods in control.

Virus can affect blood sugar levels, so it could easily be a virus. But also they kept asking me when I was diagnosed if I was feeling unwell in the week before hand. As a lot people do feel unwell due to high sugars.

Hi, I know I'll definitely need to look at my diet as it's not good if I'm honest. I'm not into weights or cardio and think that due to other conditions it could do more harm than good. I probably need to move more and walk as I've been home since lockdown and am fortunate enough I can currently work from home.

Going back a couple of years or so ago I was a lot stricter and had more control. I need to re-focus on what I'm eating. I'm hoping it's mostly purely down to being unwell with a viral infection!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I need to re-focus on what I'm eating. I'm hoping it's mostly purely down to being unwell with a viral infection!

Being unwell or just generally stressed will definitely push your levels up. As an unmedicated T2 you can control your levels a bit by exercise but the most important factor is diet. Many of the folk on here use diet to achieve normal levels from starting hba1cs of 70, 90 or even more, but they all have to reduce their carbs, some more drastically than others. Aside from the obvious, cake, sweets etc, most people have to cut out juice, bread, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes.... Some of the people on here are on less than 20g of carbs a day, others can manage on 150g. Your meter will tell you what you can cope with. But everyone goes higher when they are sick. As a T1, I can inject extra insulin, as a T2 your only blood sugar lowering method is to drink lots of water and eat less carbs than normal.

If you describe a typical day's diet there are plenty of T2s available to suggest how you can tweak it to make it less carb heavy.

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm hard to say, having a virus or being sick could definitely be a factor. Those numbers aren't ridiculous but they do look higher than they should be. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about medication options (I know there's a couple others as well as Metformin although I don't know if they have similar side effects) and let him/her know your concerns. Hba1c of 50 also isn't that bad so I get what you mean about possibly not needing medication. Other than that I would suggest trying to eat low or lower carb and going for regular walks if you can.

Reactions: EllieM

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking purely personally here, I would wait until I felt well again, and then decide if I wanted to take Metformin. Illness pushes my blood sugar levels up.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi, I know I'll definitely need to look at my diet as it's not good if I'm honest. I'm not into weights or cardio and think that due to other conditions it could do more harm than good. I probably need to move more and walk as I've been home since lockdown and am fortunate enough I can currently work from home.

Going back a couple of years or so ago I was a lot stricter and had more control. I need to re-focus on what I'm eating. I'm hoping it's mostly purely down to being unwell with a viral infection!

If you def move more, that will help big time.

I am sure it is mostly the Virus making you feel bad.

I know this sounds daft but one of things that helps me big time, is just going for a walk. I am in the lucky situation that my dog is hyper and loves a walk, so I dont have an excuse. Also use either music or an auido book. I have listen to so many books, but I love reading and using them means. I am moving but still enjoying a good book.

Toby789

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I know this sounds daft but one of things that helps me big time, is just going for a walk. I am in the lucky situation that my dog is hyper and loves a walk, so I dont have an excuse. Also use either music or an auido book. I have listen to so many books, but I love reading and using them means. I am moving but still enjoying a good book.
Great advice - your legs are your largest muscles and walking is the best way to get out and get fresh air and also increase insulin sensitivity and keep you fitter (and very good core workout as walking is natural unlike weights).

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even the simplest thing like making sure you stand and move about every hour for a few minutes can make a difference.

one thing that helped me and continues to do so but not at all necessary is a smart watch, i find it very motivating.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigerlily72

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm hard to say, having a virus or being sick could definitely be a factor. Those numbers aren't ridiculous but they do look higher than they should be. I'd suggest talking to your doctor about medication options (I know there's a couple others as well as Metformin although I don't know if they have similar side effects) and let him/her know your concerns. Hba1c of 50 also isn't that bad so I get what you mean about possibly not needing medication. Other than that I would suggest trying to eat low or lower carb and going for regular walks if you can.
Metformin tends to be the first as it’s usually well tolerated. Yes, there are some who have stomach issues and that’s not good, but usually you have to have tried metformin I believe before they will move you onto others. plus the side effects of anything else can be worse again

Diet should be the first actually, so if diet and exercise work then that’s great. Effects can be quick, you can see results within a few months if not sooner. The levels of carbs in the original post suggest improvement

however, whilst I understand not wanting to take drugs, the impact of uncontrolled diabetes is substantially worse. There is a risk metformin won’t be tolerated, there are slower release and other alternatives. I don’t want to say there isn’t a risk, but I and others don’t have side effects on slow release, or even normal version.

I hope the improvements work, and that you don’t need drugs. Not even trying should they be needed seems unwise to me

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked to be put on metformin SR after been on Glimepiride for 2 months and going below 4 a few times also worried about how Glimepiride would have effects long term on my pancreas.
Some days including today I have IBS symptoms with metformin but overall most days I am ok with it , like Andydragon says unless you try it you won’t know how it will effect you .
My BG levels in may were higher than yours between 12 and 14 but now averaging between 5 and 6.5 due to mainly low carbing , not sure if metformin is making any difference.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I
Hi, I don't know how many carbs were in the wraps or the pasta as I don't carb count and don't usually test or monitor my blood sugar levels. I did test prior to actually eating the pasta. I'll obviously be doing some more tests tomorrow which may give me a better idea as to what my body is doing and how it's reacting to certain foods.
It would be interesting. I’m fairly lucky and have managed to maintain my Hba1c at non diabetic levels on between 100 - 130 carbs per day but I still keep testing - although not so much now as I’ve learnt what foods I can/shouldn’t eat without too much effect on my BS.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I already had a diagnosis of fibromyalgia before developing T2.
I do almost no exercise due to the fibro, but I successfully got into remission and lost some of the weight I'd gained over years of other meds theen fibro. People who don't realise how fibro affects us will recommend lots of exercise, but pushing through is bad for us - a little on the good days is OK.

The only way I did it was to count carbs very strictly at first. I did it to get my blood sugars down and the large weight loss in the first year was a bonus. I discovered that T2 diabetes if out of control does cause weight gain!
And I needed to find others foods I could enjoy when I wanted something sweet, something that didn't involve loads of cooking or standing. (I used to love to cook but rarely have the energy these days.)
20g portions of cheese in the fridge at eye height helped a lot, as did some good quality dark chocolate at bedtime.
I cook a lot of meals in the oven or microwave - using ready prepped veg with chicken pieces or salmon fillets. Or I make a quick cheesy omelette to have with a ready made salad.
I try to have chicken or cheese for the days I can't face making even a simple meal.
And I have greek yogurt with fresh raspberries most days.
I sometimes make mug cake with a mix of ground almonds and coconut flour, or 90 second bread to have with cheese or ham - both quick and easy.

I don't weigh everything now as I can judge how much I'm eating, but every so often I have a day or two of weighing all my food and drink to check for carb creep.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I know I need to get more exercise than what I currently get. I would usually walk to & from work but with COVID I've been at home since lockdown and now working from home. My usual walk to work takes around 25 mins.

Unfortunately I also have fibromyalgia & CFS and the weather also aggravates this so a walk may not be a good option in bad weather

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I already had a diagnosis of fibromyalgia before developing T2.
I do almost no exercise due to the fibro, but I successfully got into remission and lost some of the weight I'd gained over years of other meds theen fibro. People who don't realise how fibro affects us will recommend lots of exercise, but pushing through is bad for us - a little on the good days is OK.

The only way I did it was to count carbs very strictly at first. I did it to get my blood sugars down and the large weight loss in the first year was a bonus. I discovered that T2 diabetes if out of control does cause weight gain!
And I needed to find others foods I could enjoy when I wanted something sweet, something that didn't involve loads of cooking or standing. (I used to love to cook but rarely have the energy these days.)
20g portions of cheese in the fridge at eye height helped a lot, as did some good quality dark chocolate at bedtime.
I cook a lot of meals in the oven or microwave - using ready prepped veg with chicken pieces or salmon fillets. Or I make a quick cheesy omelette to have with a ready made salad.
I try to have chicken or cheese for the days I can't face making even a simple meal.
And I have greek yogurt with fresh raspberries most days.
I sometimes make mug cake with a mix of ground almonds and coconut flour, or 90 second bread to have with cheese or ham - both quick and easy.

I don't weigh everything now as I can judge how much I'm eating, but every so often I have a day or two of weighing all my food and drink to check for carb creep.

I also have fibromyalgia & CFS but was diagnosed with T2 prior to this. Along with other health issues I often don't have the energy/am in pain or don't have the inclination to be a gym bunny. I do admire those that are committed though and I have got to the gym in the past (way before T2, fibro etc).

Some good food tips there so Thanks
I love fish and haven't eaten beef or lamb in decades. I've decided to eliminate processed meats and salty meats from my diet so no bacon, ham etc. I'm still having chicken occasionally and am eating more veggie/vegan and plant based foods.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so just an upsate. I went for my blood test today but after several attempts and by 2 nurses/HCA's they couldn't draw blood and struggled to get a vein. The person I usually see and who always does it first time and stress free is off sick. I was severely needle phobic and would often faint so feel.I've done well to get to the point I'm at. So, I am booked in again for another attempt next week!

So, had a stressful day, combined with the fact that my manager wanted to know the in's & outs as to what is wrong with me. Something I told her I didn't know due to ongoing tests. She was asking for my actual blood sugar readings but I declined to tell her as it's none of her business. She just needs to know they're higher than they should be. She can be pretty judgmental and has in the past (as she's aware I'm diabetic) commented that figures I admitted to in the past "weren't that high". She just winds me up causing me to feel stressed which then probably doesn't help my blood sugar and blood pressure either!

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)

I heartily agree with walking when my gym was closed down due to covid it was the only exercise for me. I now swim a mile 5 times a week. but still take a 50 minute walk when my blood sugar is a little wonky. Good luck with your 4 legged trainer.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so just an upsate. I went for my blood test today but after several attempts and by 2 nurses/HCA's they couldn't draw blood and struggled to get a vein. The person I usually see and who always does it first time and stress free is off sick. I was severely needle phobic and would often faint so feel.I've done well to get to the point I'm at. So, I am booked in again for another attempt next week!

Try going in well hydrated. Drink a pint if water an hour before and another half pint half an hour before.
I have 'shy' veins that some blood takers can't find and was told this years ago. If i remember to do it, it works well...as long as there's no long delay at the surgery and a loo nearby :wideyed: