DESMOND Course - What should I expect?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm going on my DESMOND course next week (in Scotland) and just interested in what to expect and how others found it. I've googled the course agenda so that helps a bit but I'm particularly interested in how you found it, especially with referenceto some of the topics I've been discussing over the last six months or so on this forum:

* How interactive is it? Am I likely to be able to discuss some of the topics below or is it more of a listen and learn day?
* Will the slavishly stick to NICE/SIGN guidelines on key topics such as carbs and cholesterol or might they be open to discussion on these points.
* Might they be able to guide me to a surgery in my area which could be ,ore alligned with my own aims and ambitions (emphasis on diet and exercise, minimum medication, use of self testing, moderate carbs, statin refusal) or will that be out of scope.

What are your experiences?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, for the avoidance of doubt, I've heard they are very good too.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all,
I went on the DESMOND course 6 months after being diagnosed.
Found it very helpful as I was well confused at this point as a 'newbie' to the world of diabetes!
We were in a group of 10 newly diagnosed , the 2 DSN nurses that ran the course for the 2 weeks attendance of 2 mornings each week .
To kick of the start of the course we each were asked how we came to be diagnosed ?
Then we had to ask the questions we wanted 'ANSWERS' to ... These were written on the huge flip chart in front of us...
We all got the promise that by the end of the course we would have and understand the answers to the list of questions we all raised as a group...
The 2 DSN went through relevant symptoms humans feel as a diabetic and the problems these symptoms can bring.
We were asked to do small group work in pairs and drew up lists to further discuss how the symptoms impacted on our daily lives. [very relevant! eh?]
Then we were asked about the meds we had been placed on etc...
Also asked about our daily life routines, activity, eating and food profiles etc..
It was explained to us all how much or little was done here, could impact or improve on our quality of lives as newly diagnosed diabetics living with diabetes.
Meds and careplans were suggested and discussed too.
Then the educating of increasing activity and healthy food portion and control was taught to us.
We even played with food ourselves to give understood good and bad examples of the right n wrong diet and food sized portions could affect us.
We also had to 'guess' the amount of sugar in foods and beverages. [I got a shock here] :shock:
Was told a mars bar contained the same as 14 sugar cubes! Lucozade small bottle contained as much as 22 sugar cubes.
We wrapped up the course with a recap over everything, then went through the list of questions we wanted/needed answers to.
The 2 DSN nurses answered everyone of these questions and gave us a folder to take away with us for future reference.
Sorry its a longish post but have tried to make it a small as possible explanation as to what you should expect on your DESMOND course.
Hope you enjoy yours - I enjoyed mine!
Anna. x :D

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Excellent Anna - thanks very much indeed.

As someone who has been involved in lots of courses in my professional life, this looks very encouraging. I've used the whiteboard technique "what do you want to get out of this course" many times and its always worthwhile if done honestly/properly followed up at the end.

Really looking forward to it ansd will give some consideration to what my questions would be.

BTW mine is a full day (bring a packed lunch).

I'll give a full report after the event.

suzie_girl

Thanks Anna, that is really interesting. I have just been offered one of these and my bloke would be super interested in this advice so that he knows what if anything he should adjust in his cooking. Reading your overview of it, I will definately book one :)

Mine comes with free lunch, presumably a healthy one ;-)

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was on my course yesterday and I should say right away that I would recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to go. The format was 9.30 till 4.00 with a half hour or so break for lunch. 9 patients, two of whom had brought their (non diabetic) partners with them. One guy was 28, then mostly 50's, 60's and 70's. Longest diagnosis 18 months ago, mine 7 months, most of the rest 4 to 6 weeks. I was the only one self testing by meter, one other person was using urine strips. We had 2 DSNs, a dietician and a trainee observing.

Format was as Anna described above. Plenty of interaction and drawing out of the more timid individuals so a professionally presented course which goes through the standard NHS/NICE/SIGN recognised material in reasonable depth. Those with no prior knowledge were probably overcome by the volume and variety of information. Those with a lot of knowledge had the basics reinforced.

My question, posted at the beginning was something like "Will the information delivered today take into account common elements of patient experience, as outlined in the on-line community, etc.". In fairness this question was answered. It's just that for all practical purposes, the answer was "no". It needs to be bourne in mind that this is an "accreditted" course, which means it must follow the curriculum and content laid down by the NHS/NICE/Etc. Educators have to supply the agreed "line", even when asked awkward questions. This is probably the best thing for newly diagnosed.

Experienced forum users would probably find a number of specific points to be controversial at least:

* Active discouragement of self testing of BG with a meter - wholly unnecessary and non beneficial
* Encouragement of daily testing with urine strips - confirmation that anything under 10 won't show
* Description of cholesterol as "blood fat" and emphasis on controlling with statins
* No real mention of intra day spikes as an issue - HbA1c adequate to avoid complications
* No recognition of low carbing as a potential long term solution for some

Having said all the above, if you are a newly diagnosed T2 and you get the opportunity to go on a DESMOND course, grab it with both hands. If your partner is the main shopper and cook, take them too.