Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry @TessG83 I meant merge your posts into one thread, so the same conversation is visible on the new thread you've made. It saves confusion into responding on 2 threads ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @TessG83, Sorry to hear about such a bad run with one pump brand.
The fact that a similar thread was started by @sophc just over 3 months ago shows that you are not alone.
I am uncertain what happened in the end with her troubles so I hope she can join in here!
As per @Juicyj , I assume that the rep and DSN went over the pump casing with a magnifying glass (and used a light in a darkened room) and maybe used some mild stressing of the pump's structure to rule out a hairline crack? I hoped they would have given you a replacement pump but then why would you trust it ??
One way you might have some confidence in using your pump is to pay for and use some form of CGM with a in-built or app-enabled alarm to at least catch any BSL rise early.
1) Do you change to another brand of pump on the basis that there has been a 4 pump strike out rate? And if so which one?
And would you trust it? Medtronic would have to take back your pump as a failed pump provider maybe in order for you to be able to be provided with another brand of pump.
2) Or do you go back to MDI and use another strategy to improve the BSLs, avoid hypos etc?
There may be a way to do 2) but you might need the right doctor and nurse to succeed. And only if you are convinced that you cannot continue with a pump. There is no shame in the pump not working for you but I hope a cause can be found.:):):)

Reactions: Juicyj and TessG83

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @kitedoc and @TessG83 ! No you most certainly aren’t alone :) I had different issues being software failures and two motor errors where the pump was throwing out insulin and not telling me.

To be truly honest , my trust with the 640g has gone and as a result I’m going on an omnipod on Thursday. Medtronic customer service was great and I can’t fault them but the trust has gone with it now. From reading between the lines and from speaking to others , this isn’t an isolated incident and seems to be affecting newer 640gs then the original ones. I work for a drug trial company and looking on a database there seems to be many issues at present. I hope you are feeling better now , sounds like you had an awful experience. If might be worth breaking free from Medtronic and starting up with a new manufacturer if possible . My DSN and consultant were very supportive :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kitedoc and @TessG83 ! No you most certainly aren’t alone :) I had different issues being software failures and two motor errors where the pump was throwing out insulin and not telling me.

To be truly honest , my trust with the 640g has gone and as a result I’m going on an omnipod on Thursday. Medtronic customer service was great and I can’t fault them but the trust has gone with it now. From reading between the lines and from speaking to others , this isn’t an isolated incident and seems to be affecting newer 640gs then the original ones. I work for a drug trial company and looking on a database there seems to be many issues at present. I hope you are feeling better now , sounds like you had an awful experience. If might be worth breaking free from Medtronic and starting up with a new manufacturer if possible . My DSN and consultant were very supportive :)
Thank you @sophc for such an informative and thoughtful reply for the OP.

Reactions: TessG83 and sophc

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The ring and black casing have broken off on my 640g, it literally just crumbled when I was replacing the reservoir. Apparently this is a known problem. I remember a leaflet sent to me last year about the plastic ring coming loose but mine wasn't at the time. I wasn't expecting the black casing to crumble off with it. I wonder why replacements weren't given straight away instead of putting the onus on the user and waiting for it to fall apart? I mentioned this on a Facebook forum and have been attacked from a lot of people saying I'm too anxious to use a pump and should go back onto MDI, and they say all pumps have their problems so I shouldn't use one at all. I just feel I have lost my confidence in it. I have relied on it for 3 years and am disappointed Medtronic weren't more proactive in recalling and replacing the known faulty ones.
IMG_20200818_001821.jpg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The ring and black casing have broken off on my 640g, it literally just crumbled when I was replacing the reservoir. Apparently this is a known problem. I remember a leaflet sent to me last year about the plastic ring coming loose but mine wasn't at the time. I wasn't expecting the black casing to crumble off with it. I wonder why replacements weren't given straight away instead of putting the onus on the user and waiting for it to fall apart? I mentioned this on a Facebook forum and have been attacked from a lot of people saying I'm too anxious to use a pump and should go back onto MDI, and they say all pumps have their problems so I shouldn't use one at all. I just feel I have lost my confidence in it. I have relied on it for 3 years and am disappointed Medtronic weren't more proactive in recalling and replacing the known faulty ones. View attachment 43404

Medtronic are pretty fast at replacing pumps....usually same day if in the UK

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I am always prepared for a fail, (had 3 now so well practised !) so keep fresh insulin in the fridge ready to switch if necessary and have a plan of how to treat with injections as soon as I need to, it doesn't bother me as it's mechanical and so I come to expect all mechanical things to fail at some point, as long as you're prepared for a fail then there's no need to stress if it does, as @porl69 has said Medtronic are great at replacing them very quickly, mine have always come within a day it's not a pain, just a minor inconvenience.

In preparation it's best to keep your ratios written down so it's easy to transfer to a new pump, as well as keep a plan of what ratios are required to manage BG levels in the interim, and most importantly make sure you have fresh insulin in date in your fridge.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Just seen this post I had my 4th Medtronic 640 pump delivered couple hrs ago ( 4th pump in 12 months ) just rang hospital to say I was fed up , although they have not had other users which so many replacements in such a short time they have agreed that I can change , I have choice of Ypsomed and a couple of tubeless pumps not looked at those yet , anyone have any thoughts ,

Reactions: sophc

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just seen this post I had my 4th Medtronic 640 pump delivered couple hrs ago ( 4th pump in 12 months ) just rang hospital to say I was fed up , although they have not had other users which so many replacements in such a short time they have agreed that I can change , I have choice of Ypsomed and a couple of tubeless pumps not looked at those yet , anyone have any thoughts ,

Hi there :) after all the failed 640gs I posted about , I finally got put on the Omnipod and I’ve not looked back since.