Exercise after eating and before checking blood

richmitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does doing exercise before checking blood levels adversely affect the reading as tested the theory twice now and it seems to.
Would normally be between 4 - 5.5 after 2 hrs eating but doing exercise bike for 15 mins then checking levels at 2 hrs it is 3.6 which is real low for me.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise will have a significant impact on blood glucose levels. If I go for a bike ride after lunch I usually skip my bolus dose of insulin and test at 30 minute intervals and if blood glucose is starting to show a rapid drop I take some glucose to halt the fall.
There's some rather interesting and informative info about exercise here -
https://1bloodydrop.com/before-aerobic-exercise/

Last edited:

MarkHaZ123

All exercise is different with your bloods

I cycle 3 times a week usually and my bloods just drop quickly so I have to make sure I eat before hand and I have a sugary drink whilst I'm out

If I play footy like I did last night my bloods shot up to 21.1 but 2 hours later just dived to about 7. I then woke around 1am and they were less than 2

It is trial and error when you work things out. Just make sure you have sweets or a drink with you incase

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Would normally be between 4 - 5.5 after 2 hrs eating but doing exercise bike for 15 mins then checking levels at 2 hrs it is 3.6 which is real low for me.

What medication are you on for T2? If insulin then you might need less (disclaimer, discuss with your team). As a T1 I find that if I take exercise soon after injecting for a meal then my insulin acts more efficiently.... (but I have a T2 family history and do have some insulin resistance).