Can I stop using insulin now.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

Can I stop using insulin now my blood sugars are in target range 5 or above and under 10 i think i have done
Well to get back into range again I know one thing this is the hardest even to control i hate having this diabetes
As you can have so many problems with controlling it.
I wish i could go back to before i had this. The diabetes nurse phoning me in the morning so hopefully she will
Be pleased with my readings as I am.
Can I just stop using my insulin or do I need to ask first. I have lost more weight but not as much as I wanted to yet.
Takes ages to loose weight its the worst thing ever anyone else do think this.

Sparklebright.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would expect your nurse to support a reduction in insulin use if you are a typical T2 and not T1. I assume you have reduced the carbs in your diet? It is very likely that with a BMI in the normal range you could dispense with insulin but you should only do that following discussion with the nurse and only gradually anyway.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't stop your insulin without consultation!
If your numbers are between 5 and 10 usually now it seems the insulin is working fine.

Wish you all the best!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As mentioned you need to discuss this with a health professional

The reason your levels will be in range is because the insulin will be doing the job it's supposed to do, without it you would have levels out of range again most likely
xx

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You need to ask your diabetes nurse. They are more likely to reduce your insulin in the first instance if they feel you don't need it, rather than stop it immediately.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A question for your health care professionals as all have said. You shouldn’t come to a forum like this to get that answer.

but as has been said, you are at the target levels using insulin. Taking away the treatment may well just push it back up again

but congratulations on reducing the weight and getting your levels down! Working on that and getting any further improvement is a good way to hopefully reducing and maybe removing meds. Hope your appointment goes well

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

I have spoken to the diabtes nurse who now assures me i dont need insulin any more not eating carbs
And have lost 2.7kg she says just carry on doing what i am doing and and add exercise and I should not need to go back on insulin.
So hopefully going in the right direction from now its just taken ages to do so hopefully i will be where i want to be weightwise before Xmas the best thing i can do for myself i am a lot happier now nowing I've improved my situation for the better long term.
Hope you all manage to improve if you want to your choice all the best to all of you.

Sparklebright500.

Reactions: Antje77

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi to all,

I have spoken to the diabtes nurse who now assures me i dont need insulin any more not eating carbs
And have lost 2.7kg she says just carry on doing what i am doing and and add exercise and I should not need to go back on insulin.
So hopefully going in the right direction from now its just taken ages to do so hopefully i will be where i want to be weightwise before Xmas the best thing i can do for myself i am a lot happier now nowing I've improved my situation for the better long term.
Hope you all manage to improve if you want to your choice all the best to all of you.

Sparklebright500.
Great! Stick to your plan and you’ll do awesome!

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi to all,

Thankyou all.

Sparklebrightisright.