Help! what is intermittent fasting?

jeenieleigh

Hi All I am a member but not been posting anything for a long time I do hope I'm in the Right place to post this , I am trying to find out what to do about taking my medication, I am type 2 and trying to get rid of stomach fat I have started doing the 5 2 diet from last Monday and Thursday, and for diabetes I'm on 3 slow release metformin 3 per day plus other meds 1 Thyroxine, 1 omeprazole 3 iron tabs,1 20g statin 1 amitriptyline, and sometimes Quinine, plus vitamins and minerals, probiotics, tumeric, vit d, vit b 12 and magnesium which often say take with food, so my question is would you still take your meds even though your not eating breakfast or lunch

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Welcome. I'm a big fan of IF. You will have to contact your GP to ask. Metformin is taken with food to reduce its side effects. Good luck.

Reactions: jeenieleigh

jeenieleigh

Welcome. I'm a big fan of IF. You will have to contact your GP to ask. Metformin is taken with food to reduce its side effects. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply, can I ask you, how many hours do you fast for,? as I have done 24hrs, and I am reading that its 16 hrs fasting and eating over 8 hrs Jean

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't give you advice on your medication except to say that hopefully with a successful intermittent fasting regime you could well end up ditching some of it!
I tend to follow a 18-6 regime most days not eating until mid afternoon then dinner at about 7 pm
During the morning I have coffee with double cream which seems to assuage any hunger pangs (although after almost 3 years of IF I don't really get those any more).
I credit IF and ultra low carb/keto for my results.

Edit to add the 5:2 diet isn't really an IF regime that I would recommend. Try and get yourself into a daily rhythm which will be easier to follow. Ditch a meal at the start or end of the day either breakfast or dinner (whichever suits your life best) but eat decent portions when you do eat. Avoid snacking.

jeenieleigh

I can't give you advice on your medication except to say that hopefully with a successful intermittent fasting regime you could well end up ditching some of it!
I tend to follow a 18-6 regime most days not eating until mid afternoon then dinner at about 7 pm
During the morning I have coffee with double cream which seems to assuage any hunger pangs (although after almost 3 years of IF I don't really get those any more).
I credit IF and ultra low carb/keto for my results.

Edit to add the 5:2 diet isn't really an IF regime that I would recommend. Try and get yourself into a daily rhythm which will be easier to follow. Ditch a meal at the start or end of the day either breakfast or dinner (whichever suits your life best) but eat decent portions when you do eat. Avoid snacking.
Thank you for your reply bulkbiker, I have been questioning about which meal to ditch, as I do like my fry ups in the mornings, but a bit worried that if I ditch lunch and dinner, I would be tended to snack in the evenings as I have been prone to doing in the past
Also at the moment I am waiting for the covid test results I had done yesterday because I have a cough I have had since about April a tickle cough, but as got worse since about Sunday still a tickle cough but really irritating, as its keeping me awake, and so today I am having manuka honey in a lemon drink , cough mixture, and frozen pineapple to sooth my throat, which wont be doing my blood sugers any good

jeenieleigh

Thank you for your reply bulkbiker, I have been questioning about which meal to ditch, as I do like my fry ups in the mornings, but a bit worried that if I ditch lunch and dinner, I would be tended to snack in the evenings as I have been prone to doing in the past
Also at the moment I am waiting for the covid test results I had done yesterday because I have a cough I have had since about April a tickle cough, but as got worse since about Sunday still a tickle cough but really irritating, as its keeping me awake, and so today I am having manuka honey in a lemon drink , cough mixture, and frozen pineapple to sooth my throat, which wont be doing my blood sugers any good
Just got my results of COVID-19 test and its negative so just need to treat this blasted cough

Hotpepper20000

Why not have a fry up at lunch or dinner? Bacon or sausages are just as yummy mid day or evenings.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jeenieleigh I take a heart med that's supposed to be taken twice/day, With A Substantial Meal, so it actually works. I do a mid-day fast if I'm being good. Just now trying to get back into that.
I have allergic asthma and twitchy bronchi, which leads to that tickle cough. My go-to is Halls Sugar-free Mountain Menthol cough drops. The menthol can stop a cough for hours, and the other ingredients soothe the throat. SO glad you don't have Covid!