Petition: Reinstate Dr David Unwin's sugar infographics as a NICE endorsed resource

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just seen this on Twitter

In 2018, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) endorsed a set of infographics created by NHS Innovator of the Year 2016, Dr David Unwin. These infographics illustrate how certain foods may affect blood glucose in terms of equivalent teaspoons of sugar. The calculations presented on the infographics are based on the well-studied rating systems of glycaemic index and glycaemic load.

Unfortunately, on Sunday 12th July 2020, The Mail on Sunday published an article that pushed NICE to remove the infographics from its website and assess its endorsement. Following this assessment, NICE conceded that the science upon which these graphics are based is sound, and yet decided to remove its endorsement, citing that such an endorsement implies support for a low-carbohydrate diet
See http://chng.it/67XhPCRqJ9 for the details and to sign the petition.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

In 2018, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) endorsed a set of infographics created by NHS Innovator of the Year 2016, Dr David Unwin. These infographics illustrate how certain foods may affect blood glucose in terms of equivalent teaspoons of sugar. The calculations presented on the infographics are based on the well-studied rating systems of glycaemic index and glycaemic load.

Unfortunately, on Sunday 12th July 2020, The Mail on Sunday published an article that pushed NICE to remove the infographics from its website and assess its endorsement. Following this assessment, NICE conceded that the science upon which these graphics are based is sound, and yet decided to remove its endorsement, citing that such an endorsement implies support for a low-carbohydrate diet

Signed.

Part of MOS proposed publication (should NICE not remove their endorsement) from the FOI request reads:

NICE state that doctors must only provide education to patients that is ‘evidence based’ – yet Dr David Unwin’s
claims, made in a study he carried out himself, were never published in a peer‐reviewed journal, considered a
gold‐standard for any treatment or intervention.​

I gather that to be inaccurate. This is the paper: https://insulinresistance.org/index.php/jir/article/view/8/11 and I attach David's Twitter response to MOS article which says "peer reviewed journal."

Can anyone verify from another source if Journal of Insulin Resistance is peer reviewed, please? Might be worth pursuing...

PS Just read on the petition page they confirm it IS peer reviewed! :)

unwin response.jpg

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Done and tweeted

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Signed, but I'm not on Twitter, Facebook etc.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone verify from another source if Journal of Insulin Resistance is peer reviewed

It is peer reviewed, but all the peers are part of the low carb movement. Unlike other journals where members of the low fat movement block articles that are possitive about low carb.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is peer reviewed, but all the peers are part of the low carb movement. Unlike other journals where members of the low fat movement block articles that are possitive about low carb.
Thanks!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Done and Tweeted the life out of it. Also on Facebook. POSTING ON DUK too! Let's hope justice will prevail.

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Now at 1600 people signing, all the comments on the petition are worth reading as well.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lets keep this thread active so as many forum members get a chance to vote if they want to

BUMP

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I think a this should only be bumped when it has slid down the recent thread page.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I went and signed, got told I'd get an email to confirm my details which led me to page with a whole lot of pestering to donate, post on Facebook, etc but nothing to say how to confirm so I gave up...:banghead::banghead:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I went and signed, got told I'd get an email to confirm my details which led me to page with a whole lot of pestering to donate, post on Facebook, etc but nothing to say how to confirm so I gave up...:banghead::banghead:

I think you have comfirm and signed by clicking on the link in the email.