High BGs in the night

TypeZero.

For a few days there has been a recurring pattern of a large blood glucose increase in the night and I can’t really tell what it is down to.

Around 19:45 I injected 10 units for my meal (don’t judge me I had wholewheat pasta and fruit) BG: 5.4 mmol/L before the meal

Around 21:30 I checked my blood glucose and it was 6.3 mmol/L

I checked again before sleeping 23:00 and it was still 6.3 mmol/L so my blood glucose was stable.

Bear in mind NovoRapid lasts 3-4 hours for me

I then woke up around 2:45 am and I felt uncomfortable and hot so I checked and it was 13 mmol/L

So what could potentially cause a large jump? This has been going on for 2-3 days. I’m not unwell or anything but sometimes when I wake up with hyperglycaemia i feel sweaty and hot.

I’m wondering whether wholewheat pasta is to blame but I bolused fully and my blood sugars returned to what I expected.

Anyways so I injected 2 units around 3am which should have brought my blood sugar from 13mmol/L to 7mmol/L but when I checked again at 6am in the morning it was 10mmol/L

So far my carb ratios have been the same throughout the day and my insulin sensitivity factor 1 unit for 3mmol/L drop so I’m unsure what’s happening over here

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi TZ,

How have your BGs been the rest of the day? (During this 2/3 day period.)

TypeZero.

Hi TZ,

How have your BGs been the rest of the day? (During this 2/3 day period.)

Normal throughout the day, everything is weighed and calculated so BG is controlled tightly.

If my BG was rising throughout the day then I’d assume it means basal is too low but that’s not the case

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal throughout the day, everything is weighed and calculated so BG is controlled tightly.

If my BG was rising throughout the day then I’d assume it means basal is too low but that’s not the case

Lantus innit? I was wondering the possibility of it "gone off."
I find sometimes mine can play up around halfway down the tube.? (That's looking after it.)
Though rotating, Have you been using injection sites on the same limb the last couple of days?

Reactions: scoop and TypeZero.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it makes you feel any better I also had a bit of a pasta disaster the other day as well - everything was nice and level and flat on the BG front for about 3-4 hours after said pasta than by the time I'd hit 5-6 hours later I definitely needed a hefty correction (I tend to eat early 5:30 to 6ish so I hadn't gone to bed by the time it happened (between the 4 hour mark and 6 hour marks I was, ahem, busy killing monsters so wasn't watching it very closely so didn't see it rising til it had already risen somewhat :)).

But yes it could be for any number of reasons - your meal being absorbed very slowly (pizza and pasta dishes are prime suspects for this for many), your basal insulin working not quite so well, possibly something to do with your honeymoon period throwing a spanner in the works as I believe you still haven't been diagnosed too long.

Reactions: TypeZero.

TypeZero.

I find sometimes mine can play up around halfway down the tube.? (That's looking after it.)
Though rotating, Have you been using injection sites on the same limb the last couple of days?

Yes it is Lantus. I read somewhere online that basal is generally better in the lower body, can’t inject it into my thighs cause it’s extremely painful (goes into muscle) so I rotate between left and right buttock only.

Have no idea if it has gone off

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say it is the wholewheat affect. I had own wholewheat bread last night. Rise didn’t start to occur until 5 hours after I’d eaten. Tend to split doses for that sort of stuff. Keeping an eye on it with Libre.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is Lantus. I read somewhere online that basal is generally better in the lower body, can’t inject it into my thighs cause it’s extremely painful (goes into muscle) so I rotate between left and right buttock only.

Have no idea if it has gone off

With me, if it had lost potency. I'd be chasing it with a lotta corrections during the day & never quite hitting the "happy zone."
Or staying in it for long.
I' m fortunate in one respect that I respond well to Novorapid. (Even at the odd dizzying height. I don't need any more than 1 to 3mmol.)
I rely on that basal to keep me steady when I'm not digesting food..

@Rokaab 's suggestion of the honeymoon. Possibly your pancreas taking a couple of nights off before retiring for good?

No one's gonna judge your menu choice. Just support you in the journey..

TypeZero.

IMG_1533.jpg

I assume this means my honeymoon is coming to an end. Popped on a Libre sensor to see what’s happening and can see a steady BG rise over night so I increased Lantus from 14 to 16

The Libre is showing 0.7 lower than my actual blood glucose so it’s not entirely clear if I did or did not have a hypo overnight but even if I did I think it was definitely above 3.8

Ignore 6am due to dried fruit porridge