T1’s doing low carb?

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m curious how many T1’s out there are doing a low carb diet? I am and it helps w BS. Just want to talk to others.
Thanks!

Reactions: pand

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi I'm eating up to 30 grams of carbs a day. I follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am following Dr B as well but struggle to get 30 g carbs in a day. More like 20.

On a side note I have reached out to my Endo about my ketones. Was previously told I am ok as long as my ketones don’t go above 3 because of my diet and I’m in range. Just measured 3.4 but BS at 6.5 currently so not in DKA. Need to work more carbs in somehow.

Reactions: pand

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I'm T1 on a pump, also using the Libre. I've been low carbing for maybe 5 days now? The food is fine, I'm actually spending time in the kitchen and probably have never eaten so well. Definitely not hungry, and not interested in carbs anymore! But I'm still feeling quite drained of energy (taking a little extra salt does help pick me up a bit). I understand this should pass after a while, just wondered what you've found.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm T1 on a pump, also using the Libre. I've been low carbing for maybe 5 days now? The food is fine, I'm actually spending time in the kitchen and probably have never eaten so well. Definitely not hungry, and not interested in carbs anymore! But I'm still feeling quite drained of energy (taking a little extra salt does help pick me up a bit). I understand this should pass after a while, just wondered what you've found.

That should pass. But It may take a week or so to start feeling more energy. Definitely keep up with your electrolytes. I’ve found that to be very helpful. How many grams carbs are you getting each day? When I was too low I felt pretty bad. Now I’m up to about 30 per day and that’s much better.

Reactions: sassycat

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That should pass. But It may take a week or so to start feeling more energy. Definitely keep up with your electrolytes. I’ve found that to be very helpful. How many grams carbs are you getting each day? When I was too low I felt pretty bad. Now I’m up to about 30 per day and that’s much better.
Not sure how many carbs I'm getting to be honest, I have a couple of cups of tea with milk, otherwise I stick to water or coffee with cream. I eat as many vegetables as I can squeeze in but I'm only having 2 meals most days (plus coffee for 'breakfast ') I do sometimes have some berries with cream, but not too often. I've wondered about adding a few more carbs but not sure how, the food I'm eating now seems to suit, my BGs are rock steady and I've lost a couple of pounds. I seemed to have a little more energy this evening so hopefully through the worst, I'm trying to drink plenty of water with the occasional cup of bouillon for the salt.

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure how many carbs I'm getting to be honest, I have a couple of cups of tea with milk, otherwise I stick to water or coffee with cream. I eat as many vegetables as I can squeeze in but I'm only having 2 meals most days (plus coffee for 'breakfast ') I do sometimes have some berries with cream, but not too often. I've wondered about adding a few more carbs but not sure how, the food I'm eating now seems to suit, my BGs are rock steady and I've lost a couple of pounds. I seemed to have a little more energy this evening so hopefully through the worst, I'm trying to drink plenty of water with the occasional cup of bouillon for the salt.

Be sure you’re getting enough nutrition. Also I found if I eat less than 30g carbs a day my ketones shoot up. Not an issue as long as you don’t suddenly run high, then risk of DKA. I would suggest Dr Bernstein’s book “diabetes Solution.” Has recipes and discusses low carb in detail.

Reactions: sassycat

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Be sure you’re getting enough nutrition. Also I found if I eat less than 30g carbs a day my ketones shoot up. Not an issue as long as you don’t suddenly run high, then risk of DKA. I would suggest Dr Bernstein’s book “diabetes Solution.” Has recipes and discusses low carb in detail.
Thanks JMcB, I'm reading his Diabetes Diet book at the moment but haven't read the Diabetes Solution. I've just ordered the Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetes by Keith Runyan and Ellen Davis, I'll be very interested to see what advice that can give. At the moment I'm paranoid about slipping into DKA so I'm checking blood ketones each evening, as I'm most worried about not waking up in the morning! I'm trying to add more veg but I'm simply not hungry. I'll keep working on it, the BG results are phenomenal, its definitely worth persevering.

Claire_Click

Hi, I'm just about to start the fast 800 diet, which it's low carb, so I'm really glad to see that there are other type 1 diabetics doing the diet.

I have already done the 5:2 diet (500 Calories 2 days per week), and noticed how much better my glucose levels are on those days, so I'm keen to give this a go.

I'll be eating 800 Calories per day for 3 weeks, then we'll see how I'm feeling and how my weight is, but the long term plan is to have 800 Calories once or twice per week, but stick to a low carb diet on days I'm not fasting.

I'm starting on Monday, so fingers crossed!

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck! I can’t do fasting as I get hungry and miserable.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I’m curious how many T1’s out there are doing a low carb diet? I am and it helps w BS. Just want to talk to others.
Thanks!
I don't weigh myself (fear) but have been told I have lost weight albeit slowly and without hunger or carb craving by just avoiding starch.
I am gradually reducing my basal pump rate and obviously my bolus doses are small.
Not at all worried about ketones since I know that nutrtional ketosis is much lower than ketoacidosis. Getting the basal right is the challenge but with the libre and pump I am having a smoother ride and can be relaxed about NOT counting the carbs I am not eating!
I cannot bear the strictness of Dr Bernstein as well as all the US references for things we don't have over here so if I do have a little carb it will never be more than 30g in that meal and I find I can easily fast with this way of eating so all in all I like it.
Have read all the usual books and would also recommend Adam Brown s Bright Spots and Landmines free ebook or on Audible too. He is also a type 1 who does lower carb (30g per meal).

Reactions: JMcB and ianf0ster

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I found that once I became adjusted to using fat for fuel, then intermittent fasting/time restricted eating/skipping breakfast just became natural since I was no longer hungry until after midday.
I used LCHF way of eating (not a diet) to get fat adjusted, I really don't understand why so many people insist on trying to do it the hard way first by doing a huge calorie reduction.

Reactions: sassycat and JMcB

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't weigh myself (fear) but have been told I have lost weight albeit slowly and without hunger or carb craving by just avoiding starch.
I am gradually reducing my basal pump rate and obviously my bolus doses are small.
Not at all worried about ketones since I know that nutrtional ketosis is much lower than ketoacidosis. Getting the basal right is the challenge but with the libre and pump I am having a smoother ride and can be relaxed about NOT counting the carbs I am not eating!
I cannot bear the strictness of Dr Bernstein as well as all the US references for things we don't have over here so if I do have a little carb it will never be more than 30g in that meal and I find I can easily fast with this way of eating so all in all I like it.
Have read all the usual books and would also recommend Adam Brown s Bright Spots and Landmines free ebook or on Audible too. He is also a type 1 who does lower carb (30g per meal).

I found following Dr B was a bit too limiting as well
so used it as a guide and to learn and just fashion my own meals as it works best for me. I average about 20 g carbs per day. Mostly this is to limit my bolus dose as I live alone and do not want a bolus induces hypo. I try to get the bulk of my carbs for breakfast and lunch so I can avoid a bolus at dinner by restricting the carbs for that meal to around 6.

Adam Browns book is awesome. I eat his chia pudding recipe for breakfast every day.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) I’m also low carbing, been doing it for 4 years since diagnosis. I probably eat up to 50g carbs a day as I eat a lot of veggies. I eat onions and tomatoes nowadays, a bit more relaxed. low carb diet works well for me, letting me to maintain non-diabetic Hba1c. It’s so nice to see other type 1s having a go at low carb diet :)

Reactions: sassycat and JMcB

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been low carbing/semi keto for 2 to 3 weeks now, my energy is back to normal (well, a good normal, don't get the post meal slump anymore), BGs are 95-100% in the 4-10 range and I've lost 4kg.

My question is, has anyone noticed their insulin dose has dropped then increased slightly after a while? I'm in low ketosis (0.5 - 1.1 so far). I suspect I've started nibbling a few more nuts or the odd slice of ham, but wondered if there was some physiological reason rather than my getting too relaxed about my intake.

TIA.