Help with insulin dosage.

Will_Long86

My wife was diagnosed with gestational diabetes 2 weeks ago.
Diet alterations have got most of her levels under control, but her fasting blood glucose has remained high, around 6.0 to 6.5 mmol/ml.
She has been on nightly insulin for the past week, starting off at 6 units and increasing to the most recent dose of 20 units last night, but her levels have not come down.
We know it's not dawn phenomenon through testing her levels at night, she is just highly insulin resistant.
I just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced anything similar, and what kind of dosage you ended up taking to bring your blood glucose under control.
Also, how much can she safely increase her insulin dose by? I want her to get her levels under control as soon as possible, but don't want her to accidentally trigger a hypo during the night.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You and your wife really need to talk to the nurses who have been organising the insulin dosages so far for her, we are not allowed to state dosages for people (as per forum rules) as it could cause all kinds of problems especially since everyone is different, for some 10 may send them into overnight hypos, for others they may need multiple amounts more.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet alterations have got most of her levels under control, but her fasting blood glucose has remained high, around 6.0 to 6.5 mmol/ml.
She has been on nightly insulin for the past week, starting off at 6 units and increasing to the most recent dose of 20 units last night, but her levels have not come down.
We know it's not dawn phenomenon through testing her levels at night, she is just highly insulin resistant.
I just wanted to know if anyone here has experienced anything similar, and what kind of dosage you ended up taking to bring your blood glucose under control.
Also, how much can she safely increase her insulin dose by? I want her to get her levels under control as soon as possible, but don't want her to accidentally trigger a hypo during the night.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

We cannot give dosage advice on this forum.

Your wife will need to speak with her health care professionals.

Congratulations to you both on the pregnancy..

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, I would say definitely go through your wife's medical team in these circumstances, obviously none of us can advise you on your wife's insulin doses. Has she been increasing her insulin under the Dr/Nurse's advice at all? x

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I want her to get her levels under control as soon as possible, but don't want her to accidentally trigger a hypo during the night.
May I asks what her part is in this? I think the amount of insulin she takes is between her and her consultant.
I understand your wish for her to be as healthy as possible but the way you worded it scares me a little. I hope you are not telling her what to do, dosing insulin is something which should be left to professionals and ultimately the patient.
No-one should be adjusting doses by themselves when they have just been diagnosed.

What about she joins the forum herself?

Wish the both of you all the best, and a safe pregnancy!