Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The next YouTube Independent Sage is at 13.30 today.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Did you note that being over 70 gives you a score of >6 not just 6. I assume this matrix is to decide where people are safe to work in the hospital and they have divided the risk into 3 bands for simplicity. Interesting but not necessarily relevant to the general public, in fact it mentions that it shouldn't be applied to household members.
I’ve always known I’m greater than I think I am, but tried to suppress it, hehe. I really don’t see why a household in which a few might be taking more risks than others, especially in the kinds of connections they make, should not also assess risks using a vulnerability chart like this. Admittedly, hospital staff have a greater likelihood of encountering Covid carriers and sufferers than most others, but the unknown spread of symptomless or pre-symptom people in the wider population is unknown, especially now pubs, playgrounds, sports venues, soft play areas, etc are opening up.

JRT

I think they said they were reconfiguring the figures, or the app, or both @JRT. It’s all as clear as mud. Maybe there’s something else going on too, lots of even more strange stuff, like the Daily Fail photoshop and The Sun’s old photos. Are they a distraction to keep us away from something else? Bannon connections? Increase in r? It makes any decisions very difficult so like you, I look at Independent Sage.
Yes maybe it's all just coincidence. Maybe no news is good news. Time will tell. Yes I have a reminder set for 1.30

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Tannith

BANNED
It's very strange at the moment. I have given up following news closely on a daily basis just checking in on few trustworthy sources.
I have noticed on Covid reporting app that for the past two or three days no record of new reported cases etc.
When I checked gov.uk earlier in the week it recommended high risk people minimize social contact. I'm sure it was incredibly vague for a while.
Of course I could be mistaken.
Things almost seem strangely quiet in comparison.
I will listen to independent Sage see what they say.
Meanwhile I'm remaining very cautious!
The Govt has pronounced that kids hardly spread the virus. But then it announced early in the pandemic that spread in care homes was unlikely. Wishful thinkers or deliberate liars?

Reactions: JRT

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This doctor gives a thoughtful analysis of the Odds of Dyng of Covid (age). There have been 2 previous videos giving clear explanations of the terminology and studies used. He does not appear to have a dog in the fight so I hope you will have a look at all 3.
Age is the biggest risk factor for sure. Diabetes type 2 gives you an odds ratio of 1.8 rising to 2.85 if you are type 1 (Professor P Karr et al in The Lancet study on the topic).
Isn't this what you want to know rather than whether or not school kids are going to infect you but what happens if you do get infected?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scottish schools have already gone back.

Let's see what happens next.

Apparently, according to a holidaying couple overheard today, there is no covid-19 in Wales.

Reactions: Max68

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Did you note that being over 70 gives you a score of >6 not just 6. I assume this matrix is to decide where people are safe to work in the hospital and they have divided the risk into 3 bands for simplicity. Interesting but not necessarily relevant to the general public, in fact it mentions that it shouldn't be applied to household members.
Well it's all a bit of fun not really to take too seriously not for me I don't work in a hospital

Although my wife scores 9 and she is at work in a hospital right now.

Reactions: Max68

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the point is that the advice is not consistent, and the standard advice in other setting miraculously doesnt apply in schools.

JRT

The Govt has pronounced that kids hardly spread the virus. But then it announced early in the pandemic that spread in care homes was unlikely. Wishful thinkers or deliberate liars?
Interesting listening to Independent Sage. I'm sure there are some who will have issues with them but I find them very considered with a distinct lack of three word slogans.
Today was mainly about the reopening of Universities. Very similar predicament to schools.
Yes deaths are down but new cases rising at rate that is causing concern,and it's not down to a more effective test scenario.
There was also a brief discussion of long covid and how it could have long term effects on those that only have mild symptoms.
I certainly, and not for the first time,that we could be at the very beginning of this. Unless an effective vaccine is found we are going to change how we live and interact. I have a feeling we are going to have to learn the hard way.
The government. I could say many things about them. Even if they were capable this virus would pose a considerable challenge.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is probably the worst government I remember, combining self interest with incompetence. If you select the cabinet on their support for Brexit rather than ability and experience this is what you get.
Having said all that it seems that the imperative of getting children back to school is shared with most other countries. There are variations in the precautions between countries so time will tell what works and what doesn't, I just hope there isn't a disaster in the meantime.

Max68

This is probably the worst government I remember, combining self interest with incompetence. If you select the cabinet on their support for Brexit rather than ability and experience this is what you get.
Having said all that it seems that the imperative of getting children back to school is shared with most other countries. There are variations in the precautions between countries so time will tell what works and what doesn't, I just hope there isn't a disaster in the meantime.

If the decision makers of any country were to spend a year in a jail cell for every avoidable death in the pandemic their decisions may well be somewhat different. Governments sadly seem to be exempt from being held accountable.

Reactions: Tannith and JRT

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep listening to "the lunatics have taken over the asylum"

It's as valid today as when it was written.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are lucky to have been asked. I read our whole school risk assessment and was surprised to see my risk (I was not named but I know it was me by the job description) was classed as low risk. I contacted my head and pointed out what my risk was ‘not any higher for risk of infection but a higher risk of severe illness if I catch the virus’ and was told I am low risk. My union has said there is no need for an individual risk assessment unless you are an extremely vulnerable person (cancer patient, organ transplant patient etc).
My head said she was aware of my concerns and she has put in place social distancing(?), staggered start and finish times, bubble groups (31+adults and pupils). To date, since wider opening, prior to summer holidays, with up to 15 pupils in a class we have had no covid outbreaks. I think a lot of faith is being put in the rumour that children do not spread the virus. Without face coverings I am unsure that any of the above measures will be effective.
With regard to your circumstance, how about increased ventilation eg open windows or doors.

Thanks - I was in the other day and made sure the windows were open as much as they could be. Apparently there is another RA being put together as my job involves seeing students in their workplaces, travelling from place to place - I think that's more risky than the staffroom really.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If the decision makers of any country were to spend a year in a jail cell for every avoidable death in the pandemic their decisions may well be somewhat different. Governments sadly seem to be exempt from being held accountable.
In fairness to the govt they, like almost everybody else in the world, was faced with a situation that nobody had come across for at least a century - possibly since Spanish Flu in 1918. Yes they may have sometimes looked as though they made it up as they went along after following advisors advice but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, to be honest, whatever decisions they made would, as it does now, have attracted criticism from some quarters. I have a suspicion that whatever govt was in place we would be in the same situation - poss even worse. There is also no shortage of conspiracy theories and, in all honesty, I wonder whether the media hype is helping to fuel the fear and anxiety that many people are now experiencing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In fairness to the govt they, like almost everybody else in the world, was faced with a situation that nobody had come across for at least a century - possibly since Spanish Flu in 1918. Yes they may have sometimes looked as though they made it up as they went along after following advisors advice but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, to be honest, whatever decisions they made would, as it does now, have attracted criticism from some quarters. I have a suspicion that whatever govt was in place we would be in the same situation - poss even worse. There is also no shortage of conspiracy theories and, in all honesty, I wonder whether the media hype is helping to fuel the fear and anxiety that many people are now experiencing.
I would agree with you except that our government ignored all the experience and advice of countries ahead of us, and chose to do the bare minimum they can get away with, while simultaneously ignoring all common sense (like sending patients with corona virus back to care homes) which even my 10 year old granddaughter queried.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps. It's not hindsight when leaders of other countries, news reports and scientists are warning others of the likely consequences of their harmful decisions before those decisions are made.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner's daughter, who works in anaesthetics and resus, in an NHS hospital, scores 0 on the risk matrix. All very spiffing I hear you say.

Well, a few years ago she bumped into an aggressive form of cancer, starting on the inside of her mouth. She had major, equally aggressive, life-saving surgery, a small part of which involved her neck lymph nodes being removed along with those in her armpit on the affected side. She takes a prophylactic antibiotic daily. For employment purposes, after a long, hard battle, she is recognised under the Equality Act, relating to her impacted ability to fight off infections.

Her risk assessment? Fine to work. Crack on. Business as usual.

Fortunately, her surgical consultant, who happens to work in the same hospital, nearly had apoplexy and managed to swing it that she doesn't enter "Red Areas" or carry a bleep for the crash trolley.

That risk tool is very blunt indeed, bordering on useless.

She is working through, taking care. She is her father's daughter in the bravery stakes. I doff my hat to her, every day.

Of course, there will be others equally, if not more impacted by the frailty of the tool, so I'm not putting her on any form of pedestal.

Max68

Very concerning indeed, but totally unsurprising..

As one person in the video comments perfectly puts it -
"The thinking behind the children not being spreaders was never a scientific idea more a political one."