Honeymoon is ending and advice on insulin pls

Clueso

Hi Everyone,

New to join the forum but I have learnt alot from this group for about 8 years even though I am based in Melbourne, mainly a gentleman called Ian who I followed very closely.

Long story short I was diagnosed as LADA when I was 29, 8 years ago through the antibody test and since then through going on LCHF diet and exercise I managed without insulin. For best part of those 8 years my HBA1C was under 6.5 and I was doing ok.

However, the last year with the birth of our first child and pressure at work I haven't been as disciplined and my morning readings are in the 8 range and my HBA1c is 7.1 so I think its time for insulin which I dread.

Last year my Doc put me onto insulin with a Basal dose just to get the overnight readings under control and she gave me 4 units of an insulin called Toujeo which played havoc with my system. Within a week I was getting overnight readings over 10 which I had never got and therefore I stopped using it and it went back to more normal levels. I since read online very similar reviews of this insulin from other patients.

Therefore, I definitely don't want to try this brand again but can I ask what do most in the community consider to be a good brand for Basal and Bolus? I heard a few recommend a new insulin called Fiasp which seems interesting. Any information as to how long before a meal you take you Bolus insulin will also be very helpful.

Appreciate any feedback and thank you for your time.

Reactions: KB1978

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Regarding FIASP, I thick the recommendation is to take just before meals but I find that it doesn't really act that quickly for me, so I still take it up to 20 minutes before. YMMV though so be careful.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Fiasp is the even faster acting version of NovoRapid Bolus from NovoNordisk. For Basal, Levemir is the Basal preferred by UK NICE and also made by NovoNordisk. Lantus is also very popular in the UK but is slightly less predictable in behaviour but does last 24 hours. Levemir doesn't last 24 hours so I now split mine morning and evening.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would have been best to start on fact acting insulin and use this before meals only. This helps to keep your numbers in the normal range for a larger percent of the time helping to preserve any remaining beta cells

gto19660

Hi Everyone,

New to join the forum but I have learnt alot from this group for about 8 years even though I am based in Melbourne, mainly a gentleman called Ian who I followed very closely.

Long story short I was diagnosed as LADA when I was 29, 8 years ago through the antibody test and since then through going on LCHF diet and exercise I managed without insulin. For best part of those 8 years my HBA1C was under 6.5 and I was doing ok.

However, the last year with the birth of our first child and pressure at work I haven't been as disciplined and my morning readings are in the 8 range and my HBA1c is 7.1 so I think its time for insulin which I dread.

Last year my Doc put me onto insulin with a Basal dose just to get the overnight readings under control and she gave me 4 units of an insulin called Toujeo which played havoc with my system. Within a week I was getting overnight readings over 10 which I had never got and therefore I stopped using it and it went back to more normal levels. I since read online very similar reviews of this insulin from other patients.

Therefore, I definitely don't want to try this brand again but can I ask what do most in the community consider to be a good brand for Basal and Bolus? I heard a few recommend a new insulin called Fiasp which seems interesting. Any information as to how long before a meal you take you Bolus insulin will also be very helpful.

I personally use novolog fast acting insulin for mealtime boluses and use Lantus for my overnight basil. But on these two types of insulin for 21 years, works great for me. Fiasp is fast acting and you can eat right away, no waiting.

TypeZero.

Hi Everyone,

Some of the most popular basal insulins:

1) Lantus 1x injection a day (lasts 24hr)
2) Levemir 2x injections a day (12-16hr)
3) Tresiba 1x injection a day (upto 42hr)
4) Toujeo 1x injection a day (24hr)

Keep updated about new insulins arriving on the market including a once-weekly insulin called insulin icodec, although it’s still in clinical trial stage

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I've been on Lantus for ages but about 2 years ago it didn't seem to be lasting 24 hours. I now split my dose 50/50 am & pm and it works just finr (a number of other people do this too). I use Humalog for basal, 15 mins before eating seems to work ok for me but it depends on whether you're eating a lot of carbs. I tend not to, so I'm looking at slower-release carbs which take longer to reach their peak. Good luck!