Echo pen probs?

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I got my treseba and novo pens changed to the cartridge echo 3 weeks ago I am sensitive so wanted to try the 1/2u delivery.
I'm very stable at 52 %.
Went to Greece high temps so I dropped 2u prior that's me.
2 days in ..bg wouldnt come down from 13/15 it carries on eventually 19.2 with kt.2.4 help !
I was putting novo in like mad ...
I expelled the treseba as usual pre inj no insulin ?? What ...expelled the novo as usual ...no insulin ? I'd obv been having insulin but hit and miss ...so expelled pre inj it was ok ..but obv not delivering straight after. Random delivery. Ok i wasn't using the recommended needles but I checked the output before I started using the echo ...everything was fine. Let's discuss please an I stupid not using the right needle ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I got my treseba and novo pens changed to the cartridge echo 3 weeks ago I am sensitive so wanted to try the 1/2u delivery.
I'm very stable at 52 %.
2 days in ..bg wouldnt come down from 13/15 it carries on eventually 19.2 with kt.2.4 help !
I expelled the treseba as usual pre inj no insulin ?? What ...expelled the novo as usual ...no insulin ? I'd obv been having insulin but hit and miss ...so expelled pre inj it was ok ..but obv not delivering straight after. Random delivery. Ok i wasn't using the recommended needles but I checked the output before I started using the echo ...everything was fine. Let's discuss please an I stupid not using the right needle ?

Hi,

Are you saying when you perform an air shot after a flight to Greece there was no insulin?
How many units did you dial up to prime the needle? Sometimes getting off a flight for some reason I have to perform a couple of 2u air shots (total of 4 maybe 6.) to fully prime the first time off the plane?
The needles are sharp both ends. Is the needle screwed down enough to peirce the membrain on the cartridge allowing the insulin to exit on the shot?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When temperature and/or air pressure change, air can be sucked into the pen cartridge and priming is required to ensure the correct dose is delivered. This happened when you went overseas. Happens with all pens. The Echo pens are the best pens available IMO.

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When temperature and/or air pressure change, air can be sucked into the pen cartridge and priming is required to ensure the correct dose is delivered. This happened when you went overseas. Happens with all pens. The Echo pens are the best pens available IMO.

I agree, though "technically." Cabin pressure isn't "supposed" to change..I've also noticed it with partially drunk plastic water bottles too?

Pen wise. I've been through a few models over the years. (I'm sure we both have.) Novonordisk's recent releases are pretty robust in comparison to the earlier incarnations..

Though the mention of not using the right or possibly cheap needles however makes me wonder if the cartridge membrain is pushing back a not correctly secure needle in the plastic screw surround, & thus penetrating the membrane..
In recent years, I've disapointingly seen that too as mass production quality control with these fiddly components lapses with even more?

Reactions: MarkMunday

TypeZero.

Hi all,
I'm very stable at 52 %.

With the NovoPen Echo, did you make sure the plunger was put all the way up until it was touching the cartridge?

You may need to dial in a few units until the pen’s plunger hits the cartridge. I don’t see what the needles has got to do with anything? If it fits the top then it’s fine.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the NovoPen Echo, did you make sure the plunger was put all the way up until it was touching the cartridge?

You may need to dial in a few units until the pen’s plunger hits the cartridge. I don’t see what the needles has got to do with anything? If it fits the top then it’s fine.
Thankyou . I will try again but i will check the needle puncture on the cartridge .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t see what the needles has got to do with anything? If it fits the top then it’s fine.

Good shout on the plunger & bung in the cartridge. :)

However some sub standard needles don't on occasions hold solid in the screw holder & rise up due to resistance in the cartrige membrane.
Some of the 4mm jobs can "magically" get longer & don't happen in the air shot department. If yer eyesight & judgment is good. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TypeZero.