Fasting Blood sugar too high advice please

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you can see from my signature I have been at this for a long time but I feel now I might be getting to the end of the road re no meds. Please note my Type 2 is inherited not weight related. I do strict low carbs and quite frankly I reckon my only significant carbs these days is a bit of fruit which to me is a treat and only eaten at the end of a meal. I am back at the gym and do a high impact class or spin every day bar my 1 day off. During heavy lockdown I did a 30 mins online class a day until back at the gym
My fasting BS is now stuck at about 7.2 - every new fad I try works for a bit and then stops the latest being chewing nigella sativa seeds morning and night after reading a research article. I also do cinnamon at every meal (mixed with a little yoghurt to make it palatable. Since it is sea buckthorn season I am foraging these and freezing them whole and as the juice.(meant to help Type 2)
Should I be on meds when after 5-6 hours after a meal my BS is in the 5's? I won't allow myself to eat lunch until it makes the 5's even if my stomach is rumbling. Yesterday after a big salad with smoked salmon wrapped round full fat cream cheese at lunch after 6 hours I was getting hungry and my BS was 5.3. So does this mean I am OK as my pancreas is still working? My last HbA1C in April was 48 (6.5) i.e. on the border but the Doctor didn't even comment.
Thoughts please? I trust you lot better than any doctor who IMO doesn't know as much. Thanks for reading.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Ricky,
I have much less experience of T2D than you do.
I didn't even know that there was an inherited form of it, or once cause by being obese. - If that is true then I wonder why not all obese adults are T2 diabetics?
I thought that T2D was an intolerance to the amount of carbohydrates in the diet and that it is the diabetes which causes/contributes to the weight gain.
I admit that by the time I was diagnosed as fully T2D my BMI had risen to 26, but I attribute that to the decades in which I was in the pre-diabetic range.

I have never tried any supplements or special foods to control my Blood Glucose, I just cut down on the carbs and after measuring BG before and after typical meals and foods I discovered that I had to cut down quite hard on the carbs ( to between 20gms and 40gms per day). Did you find that the things you tried actually do more for you than cutting the carbs?

I'm obviously a wimp compared to you. I know that my willpower can't keep me in remission, so I must find food which I both enjoy and that is also good for my Blood Glucose. Surely if your fasting BG drops nicely after having a meal then starving yourself is counter productive - but perhaps that is just me being a wimp. I believe in eating when I'm hungry, trying not to eat when I'm not hungry and avoiding foods which will tend to make me hungry.

I'm surprised that you say that you eat fruit, Our bodies all react to carbs in different food in a different way, but for me my BG meter tells me that all I can manage is a handful of berries with plain full fat greek yogurt or double cream.

Finally I wonder why you even measure your fasting BG, Once I knew the effect of my different alternative breakfasts I stopped measuring that except if I'm ill, stressed, sleepless or changing my (non diabetic) medication - since all these can affect how much of a Dawn Phenomenon dump my liver decides I will need to 'hunt my breakfast'.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reason why people get diabetes is susceptibility of some sort. I have an overweight husband who lives on carbs and his BS is still normal!!
BTW take no notice of BMI - its a load of rubbish. I weigh a lot for my height but I have a medium not slight bone structure and because I work out a lot I have a lot of muscle on me. If anyone dare mention my BMI or my weight for my height- my stock answer is - "Are you telling me that a Size 12 is obese"!! Actually I think it is the same as yours.
I eat fruit because I believe it is healthy - but I would eat a hard mini pear/apricot/plum rather than a soft squishy one and never on its own - always with a meal so the carbs are dispersed more slowly. I am going to try to cut down the fruit.
I take the fasting bs because I believe that is what is keeping my HBA1c high. I do not sleep well but in 2 hour sleep stints and am also a night owl.
I looked at a previous post of mine a year or so ago and have decided to go back on the Amla and Berberine again to see if it will work again for a while.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
some interesting points in here re exercise and sleep and bg

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
The fruit I agree with but the live yogurt is full fat and should be OK

But you don’t really know unless you test it. If the brand you’re eating is high fat and loaded with sugar. Could just be me though, I’m testing everything that I eat lol

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
some interesting points in here re exercise and sleep and bg
[]
I enjoyed that thanks. My issue isn't weight or lack of energy (except on grey days!!!) I heard about the exercise but I only do an hour a day. Sleep is a problem - as long as I get 6 hours I am fine. I would have to be ill to sleep the 13 /14 hours that he said he experienced!! My diabetes and HBP (controlled with the herbal remedy Ivy's Mukta Vati all started at menopause which is pretty common and 18 years later I still have hot flushes!! Do you think it is sensible to fast when you have diabetes? I don't think my BS would start going down unless I eat breakfast although I have to admit I am not always hungry for it.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But you don’t really know unless you test it. If the brand you’re eating is high fat and loaded with sugar. Could just be me though, I’m testing everything that I eat lol
Come on- no way do I eat anything with sugar in it. I use full fat probiotic natural unsweetened yogurt usually the Lakeland brand, The only chocolate I eat is the 100% Montezuma brand which has 7g carbs in 100g and I only have a couple of little squares of that a day if any.
I used to test everything I ate at first. Weirdly my body will tolerate udon noodles but hates rice. It doesn't like Maltitol sweetener at all. I occasionally use pure stevia or xylitol if making a raw hot cocao drink in winter but have not got a sweet tooth.

Reactions: LaoDan