Petition: Reinstate Dr David Unwin's sugar infographics as a NICE endorsed resource

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flicking through the Mail on Sunday yesterday at my parents, their double page "heath" spread was about how some big brands have made their products "Healthier". Guess what the author described the sugar reductions in ........... TEASPOONS @+%£ing hypocrites

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Flicking through the Mail on Sunday yesterday at my parents, their double page "heath" spread was about how some big brands have made their products "Healthier". Guess what the author described the sugar reductions in ........... TEASPOONS @+%£ing hypocrites

That is not hypocrites, as it is reduction in pure suger the product contains, rather then using spoons of suger to represent how bad different carbs are.

[Mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen this on Twitter

In 2018, the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) endorsed a set of infographics created by NHS Innovator of the Year 2016, Dr David Unwin. These infographics illustrate how certain foods may affect blood glucose in terms of equivalent teaspoons of sugar. The calculations presented on the infographics are based on the well-studied rating systems of glycaemic index and glycaemic load.

Unfortunately, on Sunday 12th July 2020, The Mail on Sunday published an article that pushed NICE to remove the infographics from its website and assess its endorsement. Following this assessment, NICE conceded that the science upon which these graphics are based is sound, and yet decided to remove its endorsement, citing that such an endorsement implies support for a low-carbohydrate diet
See http://chng.it/67XhPCRqJ9 for the details and to sign the petition.
Almost 5000 signatures now! :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is not hypocrites, as it is reduction in pure suger the product contains, rather then using spoons of suger to represent how bad different carbs are.

[Mod edit]
I would question if they have correctly allowed that sucrose sugar as represented in sugar cubes is only 50% glucose