Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

stu60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is supposed to be a trial carried out on HQ

apparently there has been a lot of disinformation. The American group of doctors 1000+ and growing, I believe they have more to lose by speaking out than not, there is another group in Germany and others starting to speak out, the cynical side of me says follow the money and I think a lot of money has been invested on the back of a vaccine, a cheap effective tablet out of patent could ruin a lot of peoples day.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A94AE485-A220-4879-B641-C766813478B7.jpeg
available from PHE Surveillance Data page which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-covid-19-surveillance-reports

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Report on CNN this morning from USA study of their track and trace. Do not have any primary evidence, so treat as hearsay

Apparently 80% of the positive results track back to only 10% of the traced people, and of that 10% spreading it, it seems 80% of them are aged 25 to 40.

Update again from CNN today
A track and trace study in India shows that 8% caused 60% of their new cases,

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There was an article I read this morning that mentioned the Charlson comorbidity measure, so I started surfing, of course. I came across a refining of the info about Covid and mortality that stated the main comorbidities that affect Covid survival are Age, Kidney disease, COPD and Diabetes Mellitis (all forms). However, the refining will no doubt continue.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was an article I read this morning that mentioned the Coulson comorbidity measure, so I started surfing, of course. I came across a refining of the info about Covid and mortality that stated the main comorbidities that affect Covid survival are Age, Kidney disease, COPD and Diabetes Mellitis (all forms). However, the refining will no doubt continue.

yes, I have been finding it fascinating to watch the shifting of the mortality rates over time, as more data emerges. Also the differences between different countries/societies, and so on.

@Fairygodmother
Thank you for the link.
Worth noting that study looks at Italy, a country with a much higher percentage of elderly in the population, compared with, say, Brazil or India.

M

Member496333

Italy apparently also has very high rates of hypertension, a symptom of metabolic syndrome.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
This is pretty much what a lot of immunologists and other medical types have been saying from quite early on, that there is more immunity in the general population than was being made out by the MSM and PTB.

Sorry but I don't think that the article says that at all.

From the article:-

“We discovered a small group – about 6% of the UK population – already had antibodies that could recognise the new virus, although they’ve never been exposed to it,”

I doubt that 6% will have much affect much overall.

Maybe you read the section about 60% having coronavirus antibodies? The 6% may be part of this cohort but there's no evidence presented that the remainder are protected against Covid-19.

Jamie H

There was an article I read this morning that mentioned the Charlson comorbidity measure, so I started surfing, of course. I came across a refining of the info about Covid and mortality that stated the main comorbidities that affect Covid survival are Age, Kidney disease, COPD and Diabetes Mellitis (all forms). However, the refining will no doubt continue.
Think we've discussed so so so many times that diabetes (all forms) is too broad a term to describe associated mortality risk...

Reactions: Jam&Scones

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The number of deaths from influenza seem extraordinarily low. Curious.

If you compare all respiratory diseases against COVID the numbers are more balanced up to 25 th Sept 2020 at least.

COVID mentioned in death certificate 52,271
Other respiratory diseases 49,771
Oddly exactly 2,500 diff..

And as we know there has been a level of "laxity" allowed in death certification then who knows for sure.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
"In particular, they have reported very little flu - something which experts have put down to the social distancing and good hand hygiene that have become routine"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54440392

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So he reckons on there being a 75% error in death rate? Even so we are still looking at WW2 mortality, except it would be over 3 years not 1. Still gets my attention. Still qualifies as a Pandemic in my mind.

We know the figures are flaky, but cannot use that to justify letting it all go hang. I am still shielding from Wave#1 and will continue as long as it takes. I do not need accuracy to within 2 decimal places to know that we are in trouble.