HBA1C good or bad results

Nicole22

In May I had my HBA1C and was diagnosed with diabetes from a result of 70. I never understood how bad this was or wasn’t as I didn’t get much information.

I used insulin due to my situation at the time , I have been using insulin since June and got my HBA1C back and it is now 41 , is this a good reduction? What’s good and bad

Reactions: Sharonanne71

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it's good that your hba1c has reduced, but you are using insulin. Have you changed your diet at all?

sgm14

See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Target is 48 and 41 is non-diabetic range.

Are you still on insulin? The reason I ask is because quite a lot of doctors might consider this 'too good' because if your average is 41, then it could be that your blood sugar is going low. Hence the reason diabetics have a higher target than non-diabetics.

My estimated HBA1C is about the same level and my consultant made this comment, but didn't actually tell me to change anything.

Nicole22

Well, it's good that your hba1c has reduced, but you are using insulin. Have you changed your diet at all?
Yes , my situation made It so i couldn’t try and achieve to lose weight but I don’t have that problem anymore. I eat low carbs and have lost 38lb since mid June

Nicole22

See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Target is 48 and 41 is non-diabetic range.

Are you still on insulin? The reason I ask is because quite a lot of doctors might consider this 'too good' because if your average is 41, then it could be that your blood sugar is going low. Hence the reason diabetics have a higher target than non-diabetics.

My estimated HBA1C is about the same level and my consultant made this comment, but didn't actually tell me to change anything.

yes I’m on insulin , mostly I take a 24 hour long lasting insulin at night and this stops my body being high in the morning , I am very very strict and have had my levels under control , I test very regular so I don’t really get low readings or high readings. My average before meal tends too be 4.0-4.7 and after meals around 5-5.5 , morning is about 4.3-5.1 :) which the hospital did say these are fine but I have only achieved these numbers in the last 2 months and before that they were higher.

sgm14

yes I’m on insulin , mostly I take a 24 hour long lasting insulin at night and this stops my body being high in the morning , I am very very strict and have had my levels under control , I test very regular so I don’t really get low readings or high readings. My average before meal tends too be 4.0-4.7 and after meals around 5-5.5 , morning is about 4.3-5.1 :) which the hospital did say these are fine but I have only achieved these numbers in the last 2 months and before that they were higher.

I guess with only the long lasting insulin, the dangers of going low are less.

Sounds like congratulations are in order!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High morning readings are usually down to the dawn phenomenon and the last to come down. If you are on other medication they could either raise or lower your numbers. You are doing well so far.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm guessing that when you were diagnosed they assumed T1? Hence the insulin.

It would be most odd for a T2 with an HbA1c of 70 mmol/m to be given insulin at diagnosis (mine was 87 mmol/m when diagnosed for example).

Did you have any further tests to confirm that diagnosis?

Nicole22

I was actually pregnant at the time and medication to treat T2 aren’t always safe for pregnant ladies , my pregnancy unfortunately ended and I spoke to my GP who agreed that i should carry on with insulin and enquire about further testing which unfortunately hasn’t happened as of yet due to the Covid situation.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was actually pregnant at the time and medication to treat T2 aren’t always safe for pregnant ladies , my pregnancy unfortunately ended and I spoke to my GP who agreed that i should carry on with insulin and enquire about further testing which unfortunately hasn’t happened as of yet due to the Covid situation.

So it could have been gestational.. Odd that you have been advised to continue with insulin.

Nicole22

So it could have been gestational.. Odd that you have been advised to continue with insulin.
You see they stated that it was too high for it to just be considered gestational , I was diagnosed T2. When we spoke I did state my goal was too become pregnant again and that’s why they haven’t changed my medication and allowed me to stay as you are advised to have a HBA1C or under 48 before getting pregnant. I’m not sure why they haven’t been reviewing me as I haven’t really spoke too anyone since the end of June.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You see they stated that it was too high for it to just be considered gestational , I was diagnosed T2. When we spoke I did state my goal was too become pregnant again and that’s why they haven’t changed my medication and allowed me to stay as you are advised to have a HBA1C or under 48 before getting pregnant. I’m not sure why they haven’t been reviewing me as I haven’t really spoke too anyone since the end of June.
Congratulations on the weight loss and I hope you will continue to get healthier before getting pregnant again.
With t2 weight loss should lead to a reduction in the need for insulin because you should end up with less insulin resistance and this will help your fertility (pcos is associated with insulin resistance) . Keep up with the low carb and best of luck with getting pregnant this time.