Loss of taste and smell

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Obviously I know this can be a sign of coronavirus, but I’m asking on here anyway. I have been tested for it but for about 2 weeks now I have completely lost my sense of smell and in turn my food is now tasteless. I have always had a very sensitive nose (I could smell anything across two fields lol to the point people would say how good of a sense of smell I had) I’m not congested and can breathe easily through both nostrils and there’s no sign of sinus pressure. My question is......has anyone else experienced this alongside their diagnosis of diabetes? Is it a thing?

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be the one who - it it can happen, it happens to me, and I experienced a change in my sense of taste when on Metformin and a statin, everything tasted odd and some things became vile - but no loss at all.
I have only read of a loss of smell and taste being associated with Coronavirus, so it might be best to follow that line of thought until some other explanation is given or a diagnosis is made.

Reactions: Mummybear3

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wanting to know if anyone had experienced loss of smell and taste that they noticed when they discovered they had diabetes..........before all this began with the bloody coronavirus. And everything revolved around it!!!

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be the one who - it it can happen, it happens to me, and I experienced a change in my sense of taste when on Metformin and a statin, everything tasted odd and some things became vile - but no loss at all.
I have only read of a loss of smell and taste being associated with Coronavirus, so it might be best to follow that line of thought until some other explanation is given or a diagnosis is made.

Thanks for your reply. Much nicely put than previous posters.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of people testing negative then on a 2nd test, testing positive - perhaps a faulty testing kit to blame ...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lose my sense of small and taste fairly reliably if I have any sort of sinus issue. It has always come back once the virus/infection/allergy passes. But weirdly, I also get phantom smells as an alternative symptom, which can last for several weeks - I get two sorts, one is a diesel exhaust smell and the other - this is just not describable and is a bit odd. So yeah, all sorts of misfirings are possible, but I think I would second the vote for another covid test.

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard of people testing negative then on a 2nd test, testing positive - perhaps a faulty testing kit to blame ...

I had it done by them. But that said it’s been 2 weeks now so if it were coronavirus positive then my next question is, how long before it comes back. It happened suddenly and I’ve tried most things now to help treat sinus issues etc. Nothing has helped x

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lose my sense of small and taste fairly reliably if I have any sort of sinus issue. It has always come back once the virus/infection/allergy passes. But weirdly, I also get phantom smells as an alternative symptom, which can last for several weeks - I get two sorts, one is a diesel exhaust smell and the other - this is just not describable and is a bit odd. So yeah, all sorts of misfirings are possible, but I think I would second the vote for another covid test.

Is the other smell you smell, kind of a faint (excuse the bluntness) fart smell?? And a bit chlorine like x

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had it done by them. But that said it’s been 2 weeks now so if it were coronavirus positive then my next question is, how long before it comes back. It happened suddenly and I’ve tried most things now to help treat sinus issues etc. Nothing has helped x

I also have no other symptoms. Although I know this may not always be the case. Maybe I should have the antibody test? To rule out I may have had it. I read on the government website that you need the test within the first five days. (Which I did) x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am wanting to know if anyone had experienced loss of smell and taste that they noticed when they discovered they had diabetes..........before all this began with the bloody coronavirus. And everything revolved around it!!!
Michelle, I don't know if its connected to diabetes but it can happen as a symptom of other things than the Virus.
For example sinusitis. Try googling symptom checker on WebMd to see if anything makes sense.
I hope things get back to normal soon!

Reactions: Mummybear3

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the other smell you smell, kind of a faint (excuse the bluntness) fart smell?? And a bit chlorine like x
No it’s not that.... I have no terms of reference to describe it. It’s not horrible, it’s just annoying. When I first suffered from it I thought for about 3 weeks that Tesco had changed the scent in its laundry powder. But it actually smells nothing like laundry products so I have no idea why I got that in my head, I think because it was always ‘there’ and I couldn’t think what else was such a constant factor. It took me weeks to realise that it wasn’t a real smell.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it’s not that.... I have no terms of reference to describe it. It’s not horrible, it’s just annoying. When I first suffered from it I thought for about 3 weeks that Tesco had changed the scent in its laundry powder. But it actually smells nothing like laundry products so I have no idea why I got that in my head, I think because it was always ‘there’ and I couldn’t think what else was such a constant factor. It took me weeks to realise that it wasn’t a real smell.
Edit to add: it first appeared long before any hint of diabetes.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my 93 year old neighbour has had no sense of smell for over 8 years now. It just vanished one day. She is not diabetic, so it can happen irrespective of the big D