LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all. I'm going to share not one, but 3 success stories with you all.

Me:
I've been T2D for... 7 years? I've been off and on various ways of eating, and I can tell you this. When I did low-ish carb paleo early in my diagnosis, I was able to stave off the need for medications at all. When I went off that style of eating, I saw a gradual increase in the medications I needed to take to maintain my BG, until I finally drew the line in the sand and told my doctor I didn't want any increases, and I felt it was within my power and responsibility to hold the line on meds. Since then I have gone fairly strict keto, and I have seen my A1C go back into normal range (albeit with jardience and metformin). I'm ready to start reducing meds and I am fully confident that I can maintain good controls doing so.

My wife:
In the run-up to my keto diet, I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles and books on T2D and how to eat your way out of it. I was fascinated by a lot of it, and shared a lot of what I was learning with my wife. Although obesity is not my problem, the cause and solution to T2D and obesity both seem to resolve around managing insulin levels, and my wife has issues with obesity. I was pretty surprised when she decided to join me in keto eating. She has been very carb-oriented, and the nature of our relationship is that it would not help her at all for me to push. In the end, I think cheese and bacon probably won the day. In any case, she's been eating keto for I think about 2.5 months, and to date she has lost 40 lbs. The best part about it is, she says she is rarely hungry, and finds now that she is adapted, the keto way of eating is actually pretty easy to maintain. In fact the only time she is hungry is when fasting. She has implemented some very mild IF principles along with keto (no eating after 7pm, and skip breakfast a few times per week). She expects to lose significantly more weight going forward, and we both plan to eat keto long-term if nothing goes awry.

My brother:

My brother was recently (less than two months ago) diagnosed with T2D. He had been a long time (years) without a fasting glucose test, and when they did a routine one for his annual, they found his fasting level somewhere around 17mmol/l. I shared with him everything I've learned about hyperinsulinemia and all the things I wish I had known in the beginning. I referred him the Phinney and Fung and Ivor Cummins etc... He jumped on keto and within 6 weeks saw a dramatic reversal of not only his blood glucose, but also his triglycerides and to a lesser extent his blood pressure. He is having blood work done every 6 weeks now, and is using his meter multiple times daily. Based on the averages he is seeing on the meter, he expects to have an A1C in or near the normal range on his next test.

Anyway, I'm all-in on keto as the way forward, and I'm glad to see people I love benefitting as well. I hope this helps someone else.
Excellent news - thank you for sharing! Great that you have found the info you needed, which has changed three lives for the better... Well done all!

Reactions: ZESTRIL

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Roggg - Your post really does hammer home how infectious success can be.

Well done, and well done your family members too. We can pass on the messages, but the individual has to put them into place for themselves and stick with them.

I bet your wife is utterly delighted with her new self - if broke from the wardrobe implications!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all. I'm going to share not one, but 3 success stories with you all.

Me:
I've been T2D for... 7 years? I've been off and on various ways of eating, and I can tell you this. When I did low-ish carb paleo early in my diagnosis, I was able to stave off the need for medications at all. When I went off that style of eating, I saw a gradual increase in the medications I needed to take to maintain my BG, until I finally drew the line in the sand and told my doctor I didn't want any increases, and I felt it was within my power and responsibility to hold the line on meds. Since then I have gone fairly strict keto, and I have seen my A1C go back into normal range (albeit with jardience and metformin). I'm ready to start reducing meds and I am fully confident that I can maintain good controls doing so.

My wife:
In the run-up to my keto diet, I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles and books on T2D and how to eat your way out of it. I was fascinated by a lot of it, and shared a lot of what I was learning with my wife. Although obesity is not my problem, the cause and solution to T2D and obesity both seem to resolve around managing insulin levels, and my wife has issues with obesity. I was pretty surprised when she decided to join me in keto eating. She has been very carb-oriented, and the nature of our relationship is that it would not help her at all for me to push. In the end, I think cheese and bacon probably won the day. In any case, she's been eating keto for I think about 2.5 months, and to date she has lost 40 lbs. The best part about it is, she says she is rarely hungry, and finds now that she is adapted, the keto way of eating is actually pretty easy to maintain. In fact the only time she is hungry is when fasting. She has implemented some very mild IF principles along with keto (no eating after 7pm, and skip breakfast a few times per week). She expects to lose significantly more weight going forward, and we both plan to eat keto long-term if nothing goes awry.

My brother:

My brother was recently (less than two months ago) diagnosed with T2D. He had been a long time (years) without a fasting glucose test, and when they did a routine one for his annual, they found his fasting level somewhere around 17mmol/l. I shared with him everything I've learned about hyperinsulinemia and all the things I wish I had known in the beginning. I referred him the Phinney and Fung and Ivor Cummins etc... He jumped on keto and within 6 weeks saw a dramatic reversal of not only his blood glucose, but also his triglycerides and to a lesser extent his blood pressure. He is having blood work done every 6 weeks now, and is using his meter multiple times daily. Based on the averages he is seeing on the meter, he expects to have an A1C in or near the normal range on his next test.

Anyway, I'm all-in on keto as the way forward, and I'm glad to see people I love benefitting as well. I hope this helps someone else.

@Roggg I’m very late to the party, but what an uplifting set of stories. Congratulations to all 3 of you, but especially you for leading the way!

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi have you tried a lowe carb diet I just started mine and I've lowed my insulin down ten twice a day instead of 22 twice a day I test my sugar levels in the morning and they 6.7

Reactions: ziggy_w

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have you tried a lowe carb diet I just started mine and I've lowed my insulin down ten twice a day instead of 22 twice a day I test my sugar levels in the morning and they 6.7
Looks like good progress - well done!

Newlysweet

I accidentally posted this in the wrong place on the site, so apologies for reposting here.

I signed up to low carb 12 weeks ago when my HBA1C was found to be 56. GP advised me to try the ‘lose 15kg in 12 weeks’ thing, which I did using my fitness pal, this forum and diet doctor.com.

I didn’t go full keto, opting instead to keep Kcal to 1200/day, carb 30g, protein 100g, and the rest as fat. I didn’t monitor blood glucose but my carb intake was pretty low, just ‘hidden carbs’ in some vegetables really.

I lost about 1kg/week quite steadily, and
everything has normalised; HBA1C 32, cholesterol dropped from 6 to 4.2. And I really like this way of eating! Even happier since I’ve discovered a few brands of beer which give only 3g carb per can - lagunitas Daytime IPA is sold by Asda too!
Thanks to all the old hands here for your wise and experienced counsel. No going back!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I accidentally posted this in the wrong place on the site, so apologies for reposting here.

I signed up to low carb 12 weeks ago when my HBA1C was found to be 56. GP advised me to try the ‘lose 15kg in 12 weeks’ thing, which I did using my fitness pal, this forum and diet doctor.com.

I didn’t go full keto, opting instead to keep Kcal to 1200/day, carb 30g, protein 100g, and the rest as fat. I didn’t monitor blood glucose but my carb intake was pretty low, just ‘hidden carbs’ in some vegetables really.

I lost about 1kg/week quite steadily, and
everything has normalised; HBA1C 32, cholesterol dropped from 6 to 4.2. And I really like this way of eating! Even happier since I’ve discovered a few brands of beer which give only 3g carb per can - lagunitas Daytime IPA is sold by Asda too!
Thanks to all the old hands here for your wise and experienced counsel. No going back!
That's really good going - very well done! You are also in a great position if your GP is supportive...

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very good well done I've only been doing my lowe carb diet a month I hope to reach 14 stone by today I'm interested in your fined of beer I don't drink that much beer only at weekends what name is the beer .I was thinking of joining a lowe carb diet site but I changed my mind on that I think I'm doing ok with out paying 60. Pounds I get lots information of web I've dropped my insulin down from 22 mil to ten twice a day but this weekend I thought let's try to cut out the beer to see if I can loose more weight

Newlysweet

Very good well done I've only been doing my lowe carb diet a month I hope to reach 14 stone by today I'm interested in your fined of beer I don't drink that much beer only at weekends what name is the beer .I was thinking of joining a lowe carb diet site but I changed my mind on that I think I'm doing ok with out paying 60. Pounds I get lots information of web I've dropped my insulin down from 22 mil to ten twice a day but this weekend I thought let's try to cut out the beer to see if I can loose more weight

Lagunitas daytime IPA, 4% alcohol, 3g carb per 330ml can. And sold in Asda so very easy to find!

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lagunitas daytime IPA, 4% alcohol, 3g carb per 330ml can. And sold in Asda so very easy to find!
That's great I had a bottle of merlot over the weekend I'm sorry to say I put on 4 pounds I will have to try harder now get back to 14.2

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi, I have been low carb eating for 4 weeks following diagnosis of T2DM. Not pleasant but only this week has the constipation eased, I can't describe what a relief this is. My hair, skin and nails all look so much better - my family say I look younger (!!?). I have lost 10lb in weight so less bulges and discomfort squeezing into clothes. I don't feel hungry, my sense of smell has improved. Best news of all is that hubby is joining me with this way of eating from tomorrow. Best of all BG is in a healthy range. It took a while for this to feel OK but maybe this diagnosis was for the best.

Reactions: Mbaker and DCUKMod

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been low carb eating for 4 weeks following diagnosis of T2DM. Not pleasant but only this week has the constipation eased, I can't describe what a relief this is. My hair, skin and nails all look so much better - my family say I look younger (!!?). I have lost 10lb in weight so less bulges and discomfort squeezing into clothes. I don't feel hungry, my sense of smell has improved. Best news of all is that hubby is joining me with this way of eating from tomorrow. Best of all BG is in a healthy range. It took a while for this to feel OK but maybe this diagnosis was for the best.
Very well done, and great your husband will be going low carb too! Sounds like you are healthier now, or at least low carb really suits you better. (I take psyllium husk capsules daily for fibre requirements...)

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Very well done, and great your husband will be going low carb too! Sounds like you are healthier now, or at least low carb really suits you better. (I take psyllium husk capsules daily for fibre requirements...)
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that. Thanks for the encouragement too, it will be great to get hubby on board. I know that he'll be much happier to lose weight. Although we've been active since lockdown, we piled on the pounds.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fabulous news!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fabulous news!
Goonergal,
Thank you! I feel so good now it's incredible. I can't imagine having the conviction to make this change without the support and advice from this online community.
Wow, your stats are amazing Goonergal. I hope you feel proud of yourself.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am a newby,

Diagnosed 8.8.20
height 5'8"
weight 11 stone 5 lbs
BG 22.6 mmols/l. HbA1c 78

6 nauseous days of metformin which I stopped, by which time BG in normal range.
Average daily BG c 5 mmols/l
1 month of low carb eating.
weight today 10 stone 5 lbs
In last few days I gave started to feel very well. HbA1c not due for a week or so.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a newby,

Diagnosed 8.8.20
height 5'8"
weight 11 stone 5 lbs
BG 22.6 mmols/l. HbA1c 78

6 nauseous days of metformin which I stopped, by which time BG in normal range.
Average daily BG c 5 mmols/l
1 month of low carb eating.
weight today 10 stone 5 lbs
In last few days I gave started to feel very well. HbA1c not due for a week or so.

All great news, and hopefully your husband will also enjoy the way of eating. It very much sounds like he has been watching from the sidelines as you start to feel better and look really well.

Fingers crossed he will mirror your success (without the constipation, obviously!). Men sometimes lose staggering amounts of weight in what seems like an instant.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All great news, and hopefully your husband will also enjoy the way of eating. It very much sounds like he has been watching from the sidelines as you start to feel better and look really well.

Fingers crossed he will mirror your success (without the constipation, obviously!). Men sometimes lose staggering amounts of weight in what seems like an instant.
Thanks for your message. I feel so good now, it is a huge relief. I have much more energy too. I'm making healthy, nutritious meals and trying to keep it interesting. I'm enjoying what I eat and feel full quickly. I've bought my husband multivitamins and might get him some bone broth to help him get through the first few weeks.

Neil2020

I am about 6 months in since my type 2 diagnosis. Initially I went on a strict low carb lifestyle. Lost about 3.5 stone in about 4 months or so through low carb and exercise and am back to a weight I last saw 25 years ago. Since my second blood test which put me into normal blood sugar levels I have been occasionally having some carbs and checking their effect. So far I have had few spikes. Long term though I don't plan on eating rice, pasta or bread regularly. I might reintroduce a small portion of potatoes occasionally though.