alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’ve got some home pregnancy tests that are positive. Although I’m excited, I’m also petrified as my diabetic nurse has always been quite forceful and drummed into my head that I shouldn’t even consider pregnancy until my HBa1C is around 6. Mine is currently 8.0 :’(
Only me and my fiancé know at the minute as I’m too scared to move forward with it.
Has anyone else been in similar situation? What should I do?!

Alice x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations, exciting times! Pregnancy frequently occurs everyday throughout the world at imperfect times. Is there ever really one. Does it matter. You are now pregnant and must get in touch with your clinic immediately so that you can get started on tight control and good support. If your nurse is not as supportive as she should now be, then request a change for someone that will give you support.
Good luck on this new stage of your life.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, congratulations! Like @becca59 says, babies arrive despite our ideas of perfect planning. Do you have the kit that helps control bs, things like the freestyle libre sensor? If you haven’t then now’s the time to ask for it and use it to help reduce your everyday levels. I believe that it’s the way each day’s bs are controlled rather than the overall HbA1c that matter.
Ask, too, to see a Diabetes Consultant for more in-depth advice than you’re getting from the DSN.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations! I was diagnosed as A type 1 diabetic early whilst pregnant. I had the same emotions as you, happiness but apprehension about moving forward. My hba1c when diagnosed was 6.8%. I kept tight control and got my Hba1c down to 4.8% a month prior to giving birth.

They tell us to control our diabetes, not allow it to control our lives.. please if you have any questions I would be happy to chat with you anytime! Pregnancy and diabetes is hard but it’s absolutely possible to have a pleasant pregnancy and not too many problems along the way.

alicerebekah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’ve worked incredibly hard and got hba1c down to 5.8% and currently 19 weeks pregnant! Baby is doing brilliantly & so am I! Fingers crossed things keep going in the direction they’re in ❤️