Pneumonia jab

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Quickie question.

I have seen quite a few posts mentioning the pneumo jab. While I got my flu jab the other week I asked the practice nurse whether I should get that too (I would definitely come under an at risk category) but was told it was only given to those over 65.
I assumed that was the NHS guidlines but now I am wondering if it is a regional thing after seeing these posts!

Can anyone advise?

Ta muchly :)

Fallenstar

Both my husband,who has asthma and myself had it years ago with our routine flu jab. You only have it once and they gave them out to anyone irespective of age if you were in an "at risk" group where we live.
Maybe you are right LB it could be regional ,or down to cut backs :eh:

novojohn1

I too had the Pneumo jab years ago with the flu jab. So too did my wife who takes immuno-supressants so is at risk for another reason.
Hate this "regional" business................

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ladybird64 said:
I asked the practice nurse whether I should get that too (I would definitely come under an at risk category) but was told it was only given to those over 65.

I had mine with my first flu jab and I am pretty sure I didnt have either until I had diabetes and I had a diagnosis of asthma, COPD and a lung disorder prior to my diabetes diagnosis and as I was under 65, still am :) , I would respectfully say that your practice nurse doesn't know what she is talking about. I would ask your doctor.

ps. look what I found :wink:

Immunisation

You should be immunised against flu (each autumn) and also against the pneumococcus bacteria (just given once). These infections can be particularly unpleasant if you have diabetes.

Source: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Diabetes-Type-2.htm
This is the web site my new doctor tells all patients to look at for every condition, he even prints off pages from it as he did for my COPD, naturally I knew it all anyway, but I didnt like to tell him :lol:

With respect it doesnt sound like your practice nurse knows what she is talking about, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing type situation I suspect. Print out this page from the Patient.co.uk site and present it to her, education is a wonderful thing. OK thats enough clichés for one post :lol:

ps. I wouldnt take too much notice of the diet recommendations though :roll:

ClaireG 06

Like Sid, i am pretty sure i had my pneumo jab at the same time as my first flu jab after my diabetes diagnosis. I was and still am under 65!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I had mine at 60, and pre-diabetes. I do get slight asthma in the hay-fever season, which put me in an 'at-risk' group even before the diabetes. I think you should push for it - it's only once, after all.

Viv 8)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I thought it sounded incorrect..how much you betting it is to do with finances? :evil:

Thing is, this is a "state of the art" surgery in South London, I can't get bloomin test strips (apparently no type 2's can) and apparently no pneumo jab..you're right I am going to have to ask about it. I don't want to get into a dispute with the nurse as she really is lovely and has been very supportive in other areas.

I have had asthma all my life (now 47), have been on life support in intensive care three times (ventilated, couldn't breathe unaided) and have had to take corticosteroids a heck of a lot to treat exacerbations of asthma.

But I'm under 65 so that makes it alright then. Humph. :thumbdown:

I am NOT a happy bunny. Thanks for giving me the info I need folks.

Helenababe

I had my pneumo jab when I was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was way off 65.
My nurse said it will last for 10 years.

Helena.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I was told to have one every 5 years. There must be different types of injection.

lilybet

I had the flu jab last week for the first time. No ill effects.
My GP said that I should also have the pneumo jab in two weeks time.
He did not recommend having them at the same time.
Although I am not over 65, I did succumb to the flu last winter for the first time in my life, and don't want to experience that again!
So it would appear that my surgery vaccinates all diabetics.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I got the pneumonia jag, am 58 and T2 with diet and exercise only. Got it the same day as the flu jab in the other arm. No ill effects. I was told it was a one off and would protect for life.

Apparently, in my surgery, it's given to all "at risk" patients which includes all T2.

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
How interesting....

If it helps with anyone's questions: NHS: Pneumococcal vaccination

I don't know if I've ever had a pneumonia jab. My local GP did offer it to me last year though it was before asking if I'd had it already. I was diagnosed when I was 5, so I won't remember if it was done then...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all,
I was given the pneumonia innoculation as I have actually had pneumonia followed with septicemea and still do get reoccurring upper respiratory infections needing treatment with strong antibiotics.
Had this done 3years ago in 2008 was only 46 years old then!
Told it would last for 5years and I was in the high risk group, so could have it done.
Could us younger ones get it done ? Relevant to the risk group only ?
Not just being an regional issue? I never thought to ask... :shock:
Anna.x :D

Fallenstar

This is interesting, I need to check up with my HCP about this.
I had mine done in my early 30,s ,we were told it would last a life time at the time, it was a few years back. My husband was just saying that the nurse had a real panic the other year as she nearly gave him it again ..and she said it was dangerous to have this vaccine twice...we had the pneumac one he seems to remember.
Anyone else just told it was a one off ,and it would last for good. It did seem a bit too good to be true, as you need a Tetnus booster every ten years..but some of you have mentioned you need to get a pneumonia booster every 5 years :eh:

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my pneumo jab, I'm 53 and was told at risk with having diabetes. I also was told it last 'for life' so I hope it doesn't just last for 5 or 10 years! :shock:

Ann

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all,
Hmmm this IS making me think now.... :eek:
I am going to 'check' this one out on monday with my GP's surgery.
Am sure she told me 5 years, but will double check to be on the safe side after reading the posts on this thread!
Will let you all know what they say too ...
Anna.x :D

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Had my first one a few weeks a go, the later stated the 'annual boosters' were available as well

Grazer

I'm T2, diet & exercise only, 61 years old, given Pneumonia jab as a diabetic, told it will last for life. There again, they may only expect my life to be about 10 years anyway! (They're wrong though! :D )