Blood sugars coming down [emoji106]

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Diagnosis 6 days ago (type 2). Felt grim for a few days. Taking Metformin. Feeling much better today. Morning BS of 6.5, ate apple cinnamon porridge for breakfast, 2 hours later BS 15.1. I had a 5 mile gentle cycle. Before lunch BS 9.5, then lunch in parents garden (ham, egg, tomato, lettuce) then cycled home. BS now 6.5.
It feels amazing to get the BS this low. I will avoid the porridge as it seems there were too many carbs in it for me atm.

My Hb1c was 78.

I want to go drug free ASAP, any thoughts on how many consistent normal BS readings before I reduce the Metformin? I really want to manage this with diet alone.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BS now 6.5.
It feels amazing to get the BS this low. I will avoid the porridge as it seems there were too many carbs in it for me atm.
What a fantastically good start you have made! Yes, very few of us here can manage real oat porridge, though there are various versions of Chia pudding that can be a sort of low carb substitute.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
What a fantastically good start you have made! Yes, very few of us here can manage real oat porridge, though there are various versions of Chia pudding that can be a sort of low carb substitute.
Thanks for your kind words. I am determined to do the best I can. I will give that a try. It is hard to reprogramme the notion of breakfast foods. I'm doing best with eggs, tomatoes, avocado at present.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to go drug free ASAP, any thoughts on how many consistent normal BS readings before I reduce the Metformin? I really want to manage this with diet alone.
It depends somewhat on what level of bs / A1c you decide to aim for. Personally, I follow Dr Richard K. Bernstein (himself T1, 85, and a Dr treating both T1s and T2s) in wanting my bs to be as near what he considers to be true normal as possible. (A1c up to 4.6% = 26.8mmol/mol, target blood sugar 83 = 46mmol/L)
https://www.diabeteshealth.com/qa-with-dr-richard-bernstein-10/
You can also find lots of free help from Dr B on his website: http://www.diabetes-book.com
and in numerous videos on Youtube.
NB Americans present the A1c as a %. To convert to our numbers, consult this useful converter: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html
They also use mg/dL for finger prick blood sugar measurements. To convert to our mmol/L divide by 18.
I can tell you that when I first found out I had a problem with my bs, the complexity of all these different figures nearly exploded my already numerically challenged brain. However, as much of the research, and many of the videos and books and articles are from America, if we want to inform ourselves we just have to get on with it as best we may.
After Dr B, my other go-to source of info on T2 is Jenny Ruhl. Herself T2 and over 70, after many years on a Forum similar to this one she felt that people who kept their A1c at or below 5.4% (35.5mmol/mol) did well. This is a much gentler and perhaps for many more doable target than Dr B's, especially as most of us do not have access to insulin and have to try to keep our levels down by lifestyle alone. I do recommend her books eg "Your Diabetes Questions Answered" and her website, which is full of useful free info.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com
Personally, I take the maximum permitted dose of Metformin and eat under 30g carbs daily but I am unable to meet even JR's suggested target. However I have no plans to stop trying. I hope you have better success!
Good luck!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It depends somewhat on what level of bs / A1c you decide to aim for. Personally, I follow Dr Richard K. Bernstein (himself T1, 85, and a Dr treating both T1s and T2s) in wanting my bs to be as near what he considers to be true normal as possible. (A1c up to 4.6% = 26.8mmol/mol, target blood sugar 83 = 46mmol/L)
https://www.diabeteshealth.com/qa-with-dr-richard-bernstein-10/
You can also find lots of free help from Dr B on his website: http://www.diabetes-book.com
and in numerous videos on Youtube.
NB Americans present the A1c as a %. To convert to our numbers, consult this useful converter: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html
They also use mg/dL for finger prick blood sugar measurements. To convert to our mmol/L divide by 18.
I can tell you that when I first found out I had a problem with my bs, the complexity of all these different figures nearly exploded my already numerically challenged brain. However, as much of the research, and many of the videos and books and articles are from America, if we want to inform ourselves we just have to get on with it as best we may.
After Dr B, my other go-to source of info on T2 is Jenny Ruhl. Herself T2 and over 70, after many years on a Forum similar to this one she felt that people who kept their A1c at or below 5.4% (35.5mmol/mol) did well. This is a much gentler and perhaps for many more doable target than Dr B's, especially as most of us do not have access to insulin and have to try to keep our levels down by lifestyle alone. I do recommend her books eg "Your Diabetes Questions Answered" and her website, which is full of useful free info.
https://www.bloodsugar101.com
Personally, I take the maximum permitted dose of Metformin and eat under 30g carbs daily but I am unable to meet even JR's suggested target. However I have no plans to stop trying. I hope you have better success!
Good luck!
I have a lot to learn! Thank you for explaining. I guess time will tell how my body reacts to low carb. I felt so happy to ride my bike today, even getting rained on was fab. I don't know about targets yet but will start getting to grips with this. All the best

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry that the porridge didn't work for you- I used to have it regularly also the apple cinnamon one. No more but it may that with your level of exercise that it may be doable for you in the future.

As you will read often- we are all different and so many things effect our health and I suspect over time we may also see changes. That is why a meter is so essential.

Read around, keep testing and asking questions- the good news is that you can actually do something about this condition and many on here have reduced or eliminated medication.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry that the porridge didn't work for you- I used to have it regularly also the apple cinnamon one. No more but it may that with your level of exercise that it may be doable for you in the future.

As you will read often- we are all different and so many things effect our health and I suspect over time we may also see changes. That is why a meter is so essential.

Read around, keep testing and asking questions- the good news is that you can actually do something about this condition and many on here have reduced or eliminated medication.

Good luck and welcome.
Hi VashtiB,
Thanks for your kind message.
It is a learning process. My relationship with food is rapidly altering.

I am reducing Metformin to one slow release tablet as the increased dose really hasn't agreed with me (nausea, bloating, constipation and virtually no appetite, bad taste in mouth). This morning my bloods are in a non-diabetic range which is fantastic (4.7 mmol/l before breakfast and 6.2 mmol/l two hours after) . The increased meds made 3 out of the last 5 meals almost impossible to eat. I'm really good with avocado, egg and tomato for breakfast and am going to expand the range. My blurry vision is improving too which is great.
Im feeling positive.

First.Officer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"A1c up to 4.6% = 26.8mmol/mol"

Drug free, and that figure?!? that's stupidity. Even non-diabetics sit well above that!.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah...really. Must be a life of abject misery i would expect.

Steaks, chops, bacon, roasts, mushrooms, few nuts, odd berries , double cream and butter on most things, eggs, rare treats of Oppo ice cream.. its purgatory obviously!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah...really. Must be a life of abject misery i would expect.
Dunno what my bloods are doing right now, but been trying carnivore for a few weeks, maybe a month or so.... Blood sugars are decidedly lower, while they were in the low range of normal as it was before, on keto. Gutproblems a lot better, thyroid too, and after a year or so being stalled, I'm finally losing weight again.

...No abject misery yet. BUT, I'll keep you posted. ;)