How many times do you check it?

mrtn.pllr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a freshly diagnosed T1 diabetic. I'm curious about the true veterans checking routines. How many times do you check it daily?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Before I had the Libre and Miaomiao (which checks and sends a signal to my phone every 5 mins) I used to check anywhere between 6 and 8 times a day....

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ooops forgot to put that checking before and after meals is VERY important (Thanks Kim Possible)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If you drive then you will check more as you should always have done a check in the last 2 hours when driving

Otherwise sometimes I only do 2 tests morning and night unless I feel the need for more.. but I know from how I feel if I need more

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before Libre an average of about 11 times. I've been using Libre for over 2 years but still use finger prick tests about 3 times a day.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do a blood test as soon as I wake, to make sure my CGM is accurate, and calibrate if necessary. I’ll do another at some point in the day, as it’s a legal requirement for my lorry/bus licence. DVLA accept glucose sensor readings for cars and bikes now, though. If you don’t have one, you need to have tested within two hours of driving, and every two hours when you’re on the road. I often glance at my levels on my watch though, but if I’m busy with a patient or something, I rely on it to vibrate if I’m due to go low.

MarkHaZ123

Changes every day really.

Always when I get up and before bed. Always before meals
I also check when I feel I don't feel too well. Days like yesterday I was drinking all day so checked a little more

Going to ask for the Libre when I next have an appointment to make it easier

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before Libre we were checking up to 10 or more times a day, fingers never been the same. Libre helps but often do not trust it so test at least once (to calibrate software like @LooperCat ) some times more on blood test and glance at the tech many more times.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was checking up to 10 times a day with finger pricking but now I have the Libre system and I can check as often as I like . I would try and get the Libre or another system that allows you to check glucose levels as often as you like