Do I need a flu vaccine for T2D? Anxiety playing havoc!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve never had the flu jab nor will I have it. I get very annoyed every year being asked by my surgery, I’ve told told them so many times I don’t want it and they still keep asking. I also work in a hospital and get asked there too which just increases my anger!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey!

Coming up to flu season now and I can't decide if I should get a flu vaccine? I'm 25 years old and I've only ever had flu vaccines when I was a child. Obviously with COVID around I'm trying to be extra safe, plus I've already had the flu once when I was 16 and I experienced swine flu in 2009 which was equally unpleasant.

The main reason which puts me off are the side effects. I know the vaccine doesn't give you the flu - but I'm worried if I get a fever I'll panic and think I have COVID. I'm really battling with my anxiety over this one...

I know my doctor will say I should have one. But I'm intrigued by those who are anti-vaxxers and their reasons.

Thanks

It’s a very personal choice. I’ve had flu twice in my 55 years and never had a flu jab. I feel the chance of getting it are small. I don’t like the ingredients that are injected, but that’s just me and prefer to keep my immune system in tip top condition. You should do your research and decide yourself. I’m certainly never pushed or advised to get one by my doc.

May I just add that the term anti vaxer is very unfair. There are few actual ‘anti vaxers’ that would completely refuse any sort of vaccine. Most will pick and choose what is appropriate for themselves and their family at that point in time, having done lots of research and reading the actual studies on each vaccine. Some will even go as far as accepting one brand and not another due to different ingredients.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never had the flu jab nor will I have it. I get very annoyed every year being asked by my surgery, I’ve told told them so many times I don’t want it and they still keep asking. I also work in a hospital and get asked there too which just increases my anger!
Don't keep us suspense - why not?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the flu jag since being diagnosed and at worst I have had a sore/heavy arm for a day or two and once I think I felt a bit shivery for the rest of the night after getting it - so nothing major and nothing at all like suffering flu so hopefully I will get it again this year and usually I am at the end of the queue and in no hurry to get it but this year as soon as I get my letter I will be making the appointment.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've had a flu jab every year for ages as I have asthma.
Occasionally I get a sore arm, once or twice I've felt out of sorts for a couple of days but never had covid type symptoms from the flu jab - even when feeling my temperature was up there was actually only a very small rise.
Do you have a thermometer so you can check if you have a fever?

KarenGG

Never had it after having reactions from 1st one over 10 years ago. I never get called for it, even though I was medically retired over 10+ years ago. They ask my daughter as my carer but never me.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had it for the past 10 years or so. The only reaction is, a sore arm and that not every year. I am happy to have it so that I am not ill and do not put any unavoidable strain on the NHS which struggles in the winter flu season.
I personally look at it as a civic duty to protect myself and those around me.
My mother made sure that we had all jabs offered growing up so I have carried that on going forward. However she now refuses to have an annual flu jab as her boss over 30 years ago had a bad reaction to his jab. No amount of reassurance will change her mind. She really should have it as she is over 85 and has just got through a chancer battle. Her take is that something will get her in the end so why worry!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have just had mine this morning just a slight burning sensation on the upper arm so far no other reaction.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey!

Coming up to flu season now and I can't decide if I should get a flu vaccine? I'm 25 years old and I've only ever had flu vaccines when I was a child. Obviously with COVID around I'm trying to be extra safe, plus I've already had the flu once when I was 16 and I experienced swine flu in 2009 which was equally unpleasant.

The main reason which puts me off are the side effects. I know the vaccine doesn't give you the flu - but I'm worried if I get a fever I'll panic and think I have COVID. I'm really battling with my anxiety over this one...

I know my doctor will say I should have one. But I'm intrigued by those who are anti-vaxxers and their reasons.

Thanks
Hi
I have had it twice and once there followed a flu like illness but I do not know if this was linked.
At age 25 you could likely cope very well with flu and Covid so its up to you but I am sure many people get it without problems.
When I had it done I felt guilty that if I didn't I risked being hospitalised and that this was selfish.
We do know that if your immune system is low or compromised due to age the vaccine isn't always effective anyway (as can be seen from the spikes in excess mortality in various years) so continued hand hygiene and avoidance of large crowds is always wise in the flu season for the very vulnerable.
I am now reluctant to go in and have to be masked up to receive it so may give it a miss this season.
My kids are all vaccinated to the hilt so I am not an 'anti vaxxer' just someone who is feeling a little sceptical of advice from our current cohort of Chief Medical Officers and Bill Gates who as far as I know doesn't even have a first aid certificate.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had flu jabs for years. Never had any "side effects" myself.
It hasn't really stopped me contracting the odd bout of flu from time to time, even so..? but it has made it easier to recover from if I had.

Since changing career years back & no longer working with kids or members of the general public for prolonged periods.
Has made more of a difference regarding general seasonal lurgeys I'm likely to get.. (Or not anymore, in this case.)

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one every year but apparently mine is different from the usual type possibly because of
my age (82) and the fact that I have CKD 3 and have had BCG for bladder cancer recently.
The good news is (tempting fate?) I have never had the flu.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Get vaccinated ! Avoid all contacts for 2 weeks before vaccine, so if you get mild fever it is NOT Covid,right ?