How long does a blood glucose meter last?

Schmoukes

Hi - I am getting some inconsistent numbers from my meter (9 months old). It’s told me I’m in a hypo a couple of times with readings of under 4. When I try again, it’s 4.8 instead of 3.8. Do you think I need to replace it? I was only diagnosed in Nov last year so it’s my first one.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I am getting some inconsistent numbers from my meter (9 months old). It’s told me I’m in a hypo a couple of times with readings of under 4. When I try again, it’s 4.8 instead of 3.8. Do you think I need to replace it? I was only diagnosed in Nov last year so it’s my first one.
Maybe it needs a replacement battery although I would expect the display to show a warning if that was the case. Problems with meters are normally due to the strips rather than the actual meter.

Schmoukes

Maybe it needs a replacement battery although I would expect the display to show a warning if that was the case. Problems with meters are normally due to the strips rather than the actual meter.

It is a new tube of strips! I’ll switch to another tube & try that. Thank you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the level you mention in this posting, the meter is required to give a reading that is within +/- 0.7 mmol/l This means that two readings on the same meter even on the same drop of blood can differ by up to 1.4 mmol/l and still be within specification. Readings of 5 and above, then the reading must be within +/- 15% of the true value. All meters being sold today need to meet this requirement.

Schmoukes

At the level you mention in this posting, the meter is required to give a reading that is within +/- 0.7 mmol/l This means that two readings on the same meter even on the same drop of blood can differ by up to 1.4 mmol/l and still be within specification. Readings of 5 and above, then the reading must be within +/- 15% of the true value. All meters being sold today need to meet this requirement.

It’s a big margin of error, isn’t it. Just seems odd in the last couple of days to see these really low levels that I have never seen before. Thank you for the guidance.

SOPHIE2006

I've had my metre since July 2018 and I've only had to replace my battery once