How much do you pay for yours medications

hooner

What's your weekly/monthly/yearly cost of your medications for type 1 diabetes, everything included. Needles, insulin, stripes and so on and so forth.
Do you pay for it yourself? insurance? medical card? government benefit?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily I am in the UK and we have the National Health Service. I paid in by a nominal tax when working but get all care and medications for free.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Another lucky UK resident here. Thank God for the NHS

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Medications for diabetics are free in the UK, but you need to apply for a medical exemption certificate.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medications for diabetics are free in the UK, but you need to apply for a medical exemption certificate.
Though some of the newer tech is very much limited and not that many get that on prescription (eg libre) .
But yes I'm another UK resident who doesn't have to pay for their prescription meds - I did have to self-fund the libre for 2 years though until I got it on prescription.

Reactions: porl69

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @hooner welcome to the forum:). I’m another living in the uk. Which country do you live and do you have to pay a lot ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My understanding is that no medication is free.
The taxes paid in the UK fund the NHS including prescriptions for people with diabetes.
You may not pay when you collect your insulin from the pharmacy but you are still paying for it.
That is one of the reasons why taxes in teh UK are higher than many other countries.

The taxes we pay in comparison to the very costly prices of insulin, test strips, pump supplies etc are very minimal

Reactions: becca59 and michita

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS provides free treatment for many things - right from the maternity care, the hospital for the birth, most medical needs throughout childhood. The deductions from wages for tax and National Insurance vary according to income, and there are charges for prescriptions if not exempt, but when older, that is no longer to be paid, so I get all my medication free plus a state pension.
I know which system I prefer to live with. When I was working I used to estimate that I worked for the state one week of each month, but it still left me enough to buy a house and ride a motorbike even when I lived alone.

Reactions: porl69

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am in the US. I pay $40 every 3 months for all the insulin I need, I pay $40 every 3 months for all the pods I need. The pump is free and the insulin for it would be free except that my preferred insulin only comes in a pen needle instead of a vial. My Dexcom supplies and testing strips are also free. My first insurance premiums and copays are covered completely by my secondary insurance. My secondary insurance premium is covered by my husbands past company he worked for.

This wasn't always the case. We are retired now but when my husband was working we paid about $300 a month for the same above coverage in an insurance premium. My husband purposely left a better paying job 15 years before retirement to switch to a company that had better medical and retirement benefits.

Last edited: