Newly Diagnosed - New Question .......

MiriamCus

Hi
Got a phone call from GP last night to say that I have Type 2 Diabetes,, Currently obese but have been on the keto diet for the last 4 weeks anyway - not aware at that time that I may have diabetes - but very aware that I had put on weight since lockdown. Had been getting very dry mouth and up alot for the loo but didnt for one minute think that I may be diabetic. Came as a complete shock to me. I also am on long term warfarin for blood clots... (10yrs+) and have a prolapsed disc in my lower back that makes moving about quite painful ( I take amytryptiline to conteract and kill the pain receptors in my brain) - my worry is that with this new condition that I am more at risk from a stroke and heart problems... which although already on my radar from the clots are now firmly in the forefront of my mind... Is diet really the best thing to be concentrating on to get my whatever it is lowered from 61 to under 48 and how do I get there if my movement is hampered by my prolapse... I really really dont want "another tablet" adding to the list of the 8 I currently take for life, Can it be done?

Reactions: Bex72

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you lose weight you will get around better anyway. My knees are still thanking me!

A lot of us eat keto or low carb to control our blood glucose levels.

You also need a meter to test before and after eating. Ask questions there is a lot to learn, but you will be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited to add, find out from your doctor what your hba1c number was.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum,

Well since you had already been on the keto diet you have given yourself a head start.

First I agree that you will need a meter. Since you have been on the keto diet you already have your head around how many carbs are in different foods- the meter will tell you how many carbs your body can tolerate. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after you want the increase to be less than 2.

The great news is that many people on here have found low carb to be life changing in a good way. I was really upset at the thought of losing carbs but a year on have lost over 30 kgs without counting calories, feel a lot less hungry and have my blood sugar levels under control. I take metformin to help but think I may be able to give that up sometime in the future.

The best news is that you have found this site- I can promise you will 'meet' some amazing people on here- always ready to provide advice, information support and will cheer you on with any good news.

Good luck and welcome.

MiriamCus

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Well since you had already been on the keto diet you have given yourself a head start.

First I agree that you will need a meter. Since you have been on the keto diet you already have your head around how many carbs are in different foods- the meter will tell you how many carbs your body can tolerate. If you test before a meal and 2 hours after you want the increase to be less than 2.

The great news is that many people on here have found low carb to be life changing in a good way. I was really upset at the thought of losing carbs but a year on have lost over 30 kgs without counting calories, feel a lot less hungry and have my blood sugar levels under control. I take metformin to help but think I may be able to give that up sometime in the future.

The best news is that you have found this site- I can promise you will 'meet' some amazing people on here- always ready to provide advice, information support and will cheer you on with any good news.

Good luck and welcome.
Thank you

MiriamCus

If you lose weight you will get around better anyway. My knees are still thanking me!

A lot of us eat keto or low carb to control our blood glucose levels.

You also need a meter to test before and after eating. Ask questions there is a lot to learn, but you will be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited to add, find out from your doctor what your hba1c number was.
Thank you

MiriamCus

Got another question - been reading alot of posts on various forums and would like to know what the side effects are that is putting so many people off metformin - surely if there is always such a negative impact on a person it wouldnt be prescribed - but interested to know what the "bad" ones are that I should look out for.... just started today and kind of worried now about how it is going to make me feel.... currently feel pretty normal but newly diagnosed so guess this is "not how a normal"person should feel?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An inability to leave the bathroom for a couple of weeks! Not everyone has trouble, I didn't.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Got another question - been reading alot of posts on various forums and would like to know what the side effects are that is putting so many people off metformin - surely if there is always such a negative impact on a person it wouldnt be prescribed - but interested to know what the "bad" ones are that I should look out for.... just started today and kind of worried now about how it is going to make me feel.... currently feel pretty normal but newly diagnosed so guess this is "not how a normal"person should feel?
Toilet issues as has been said. There are some other issues with depleting vitamin B12 (I think?). But if you get it, there are slow release that are better tolerated. I have 2000mg a day (max dose) and no issues in that way. I do take a multi vitamin though, used to take folic acid

all drugs can have side effects, hopefully you don’t have any. A lot of us don’t so please don’t be put off by something that may not even happen!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi
Got a phone call from GP last night to say that I have Type 2 Diabetes,, Currently obese but have been on the keto diet for the last 4 weeks anyway - not aware at that time that I may have diabetes - but very aware that I had put on weight since lockdown. Had been getting very dry mouth and up alot for the loo but didnt for one minute think that I may be diabetic. Came as a complete shock to me. I also am on long term warfarin for blood clots... (10yrs+) and have a prolapsed disc in my lower back that makes moving about quite painful ( I take amytryptiline to conteract and kill the pain receptors in my brain) - my worry is that with this new condition that I am more at risk from a stroke and heart problems... which although already on my radar from the clots are now firmly in the forefront of my mind... Is diet really the best thing to be concentrating on to get my whatever it is lowered from 61 to under 48 and how do I get there if my movement is hampered by my prolapse... I really really dont want "another tablet" adding to the list of the 8 I currently take for life, Can it be done?
I sympathise completely. I don't know what you have tried for your back but would recommend physio lead pilates.
I've had success with low carb so far but still early days. I tried Metformin for a week and felt bad on it and stopped. It can take a couple of weeks to get used to it. I already take meds and didn't want more either. However, from what I have read it seems that Metformin is on the whole a very good drug. I am trying to control blood glucose levels with low carb diet and testing before and two hours after meals. This way you can work out what foods work best for you.
I wish you well and good luck with your back too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Atorvastatin and Metformin and in a few weeks was having suicidal thoughts. I was in deep trouble by then so it seemed perfectly logical; It still does, but fortunately I stopped taking the tablets but had it not been Christmas with things to do and people to see, - well if I had been able to get hold of some Nitrogen it would have been Goodnight Vienna.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I had the usual reaction to normal metformin, switched to the SR version and haven't had any issues if I take it in the morning but (no idea why) I can't take in the evening.

If you are intending to introduce fasting or calorie restrictions of any kind in to your life then do read the information leaflet as I found out that I shouldn't take it when I'm fasting.

mouseee

Metformin does cause a lot of people to have loo related side effects but for many they go after a couple of weeks.
One advantage for me was it reduced my appetite which is another side effect.
Forewarned is forearmed and you now know not to panic if you get a gurgly belly!!
This forum is great. Lots of friendly advice and support.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out to the shops yesterday and met up with someone I had advised to try using Nordic walking poles to help with movement problems from back pain. They were using the poles, but had been free of pain for some time and walking several times a week. You might well find that your arms ache from taking the strain, until you get used to it, but I found the poles really helped after I had an encounter with an idiot in a car who deliberately reversed in to me.