Considering to switch from Levemir to Tresiba

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you switched from Levemir to Tresiba? How did it go and could you comment on any pros and cons? Thanks!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've only been on Levemir. Are you encountering problems that make you want to change?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't switched but I've been on Tresiba since I was diagnosed almost 4 years ago xx

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched 3 years ago ....transition was smooth ..DSN advised the units and i went smoothly from one to another.
Personally ? Treseba could be fine tuned ie am i going to be lazy today or I'm off to the gymn . night time need such a unit day time such a unit treseba not so. I would go back to levimir but tbh cant do with th agro
Tresiba is a solid trouper. Solid . It's ok imho

Reactions: cz_dave

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because Levemir is shorter acting, it is more flexible. By splitting the daily dose between morning and evening shots, the level of insulin action across the 24 hour cycle can be customised. Tresiba injected in the morning would make me go low in the early hours of the morning on the next day. I would stick with Levemir, but many people are happy with Tresiba. You just have to try it it and see what happens. Being only one shot a day is an advantage too.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been on Levemir. Are you encountering problems that make you want to change?
Not really, just wondering if Tresiba it is worth giving Tresiba a try.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because Levemir is shorter acting, it is more flexible. By splitting the daily dose between morning and evening shots, the level of insulin action across the 24 hour cycle can be customised. Tresiba injected in the morning would make me go low in the early hours of the morning on the next day. I would stick with Levemir, but many people are happy with Tresiba. You just have to try it it and see what happens. Being only one shot a day is an advantage too.
Thanks, I inject Levemir only once a day

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I inject Levemir only once a day
You are probably making a fair amount of your own insulin. If flexibility with Levemir is not important, by all means try something different. Tresiba is probably a better once-a-day insulin. I would get just one pen or cartridge and see how it works.

Reactions: cz_dave

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not in my experience. Pharmacists will not break into a packet if they think they will be unable to dispense the remainder.
My prescription was for one cartridge of NovoRapid. Multiple pharmacists refused to dispense it. Eventually, the prescription was changed to a whole box. Otherwise, I was not able to get any backup pen cartridges.
Dispensing is very controlled here in NZ and also in SA. The pharmacist works out the requirement based on the daily number of units prescribed. If for example it worked out 6.5 cartridges, 1 box and two lose cartridges are provided. That your insulin is required for backup purposes and a daily unit requirement is not specified may confuse the issue. For backup purposes, you only need 1 cartridge once every few years. Would getting a daily requirement specified in the prescription make a difference?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pharmacist works out the requirement based on the daily number of units prescribed
I know that's never happened for me in the UK, mine just has 'As Directed' on it. the amount I use in a day can vary immensely anyways, at one end of the scale I could have 18, the other end could be about 40ish (ok that's generally for really carby days, or days when I'm ill and I need a lot more)