What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening!
Need to be accountable for what I'm eating at the moment as I'm struggling again. Very much hoping I can get control when back at work next week but I fear cake will feature and I'm not so good at avoiding it at the moment.

Have made some fab discoveries recently, coconut flour flat breads that actually stay together, mini milk ice lollies which are only 4g carbs... but eaten far too many carbs overall. Well, not so many compared with before diagnosis but still loads.

The carbs have hit and I am finding it hard to kick them again. I need to get off them once and for all. The addiction is real!

Bad things today have included a hot cross bun and a magnum.
Good things have included some oompf and salad at lunchtime.
Need more good and less bad.

I bought some nice stilton and I'll make LC crackers tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I can adapt my LC bread recipe to give me a cheese scone or a hot cross bun type of hit.

So tomorrow should consist of
Stilton and crackers for lunch,
Aldi LC pasta (love it!) with chicken, mushroom and pesto for dinner.
Hot cross style roll experiment for a snack.

Mouseee, @shelley262 does a LC Cheese scone, I think.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All that waiting, weeks on end, isn't for me.

If you don't want another gadget (it's the size of a drinking bottle. with both the charging top and a stopper/top for when the infusion, or soda water, or whatever is done. It uses those single use cartridges.

In your shoes, I'd probably be up for an experiment. It'd do a small batch, in a good quality vacuum or ziplock bag, in the IP, on the yoghurt setting, for a few hours.

I'd only do, say 150ml, as a tester, so there isn't much of a gamble going on. Just lob the gin, plus fruit into the bag - seal well, then if going down the pretendy sous vide route, give the fruit a little squidge, then put it into the pot, with a couple of inches of water in it. I'd be inclined to had it sit on a trivet (to keep it off the heated metal), and just start off with tepid/warm water from the tap, as it's not going to be consumed.

If it has infused, but not as much as you might like, give it longer next time, or add more fruit. It could be a little adventure.

Pineapple gin or vodka is lovely, as is gin (about 0.5 bottle), with the fine zest of an orange.

This has made me very happy and excited! I am going to love experimenting, thank you so much for the ideas and tips.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Late breakfast of scrambled eggs after dog walk
Snack of last 2 of yesterday's homemade low carb biscuits
D cold roast chicken and salad followed bya little fruit salad and clotted cream.

Am away again and yesterday was all other people trying to do low carb for me
Today we are back to self catering so
B: cold poached salmon with 40g cheddar cheese
D: steak and salad. Few raspberries with 2 montezuma peanut butter eggs and clotted cream.

Does anyone have any ideas how to use/ eat those peanut butter eggs without them being so cloying they physically glue my mouth together?

A cup of black coffee with the peanut butter eggs. You’re right they are VERY rich and concentrated and they take me a while to eat, even as a fully paid up chocoholic.

Reactions: ziggy_w and MrsA2

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook hoping for stellar weather for you, also wifi! Your "Mum's salad" sounds crisp and satisfying.
@shelley262 I LOVE your new avatar pic-- that's a great color on you too!
@DJC3 you are Wonderwoman! Boot camp, hill climbing, NO FOOD! I would have been flat on the floor after the boot camp.... and it's been decades since I used fenugreek but I seem to remember a slightly cocoa-y-ness to it. That or it was nasty...
@Goonergal fun day!!
Awwww we have a pet spider lolol. Her name is Heidi, and she's the cousin of Greta, who lived in an unused kitchen receptacle in our previous house. Heidi is also in the kitchen, but if she were in the bedroom I would smish her flat. We have sooo many insects here that you just have to let them be there. Except the mosquitoes and roaches and fleas!
@Rachox I am so sorry about the infected foot!! Are you allowed to soak it in Epsom salts?
@mouseee I feel your pain. I am newly back, for the same reason!
Food will have to wait. Time to get ready for bed. Sleep well ye sleepers and good morning when you get up!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This has made me very happy and excited! I am going to love experimenting, thank you so much for the ideas and tips.

The secret tip these experiments, in my world, is small batches - but the BIG secret is writing down what you did, so that when you like it, you can replicate it.

Don't ask me why I am at pains to mention this!

It's hard to beat a decent experiment.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all

I found the wifi and other stuff - woohooo. its a lovely 'cottage ' but Millie is doing her usual away from home behaviour of refusing to eat dog food and wanting out all the time so she can go stand by the car and sulk. :rolleyes:

@Goonergal - what a lovely day out. I love steam trains. Right now, the way i feel, you can have all three dogs!!

@Rachox - oh your poor foot! I have you feel better soon. I get an infection after any and every surgery and its horrible

@zauberflote - Mum's salad is huge and very satisfying. Plenty of leftovers for snacks.

@Annb - i hope your tummy is a bit better today x

@shelley262 - I like your new picture, as @zauberflote says, that colour really suits you

@DJC3 - wow - I'm impressed by your stamina!!!!! You must have been starving by dinner time

@mouseee - welcome :) - this thread really helps for personal accountability and its lovely to have a group of supportive people who all know what you are going through

@Mrs T 123 - I have the Aldi black bean spaghetti and its very nice but different texture to ordinary spaghetti. If I want a very low carb meal i have that with pesto and maybe crumbled feta or grilled halloumi. Its only in stock occasionally.

@MrsA2 - well done on keeping to low carb when someone else is cooking. I think that being in a position where you can't make your own decisions about what to eat the most difficult thing about low carb.

Edited to correct autocorrect

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today....

Breakfast: Lazy girl chaffle (made in a frying pan), with scoop of baked beans and fried eggs

Early dinner: I'm going to be brave and eat out - very nervous about this! We're booked for a carvery. I will have a meatless carvery meal - checked out carvery 'deck' yesterday while booking table so we know whats on offer - I will be having cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, few carrots, french beans, some stuff that looked like mashed swede, a couple of bits of roast parsnips and gravy

evening snack/supper if needed - leftovers from yesterday's Mum's salad - so salad stuff, cheese, weird Quorn ham (looks, smells and tastes like thinly sliced pork luncheon meat) and a tablespoon of coleslaw

Edited to correct autocorrect again

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rachox, sorry to hear that one of your feet has become infected and sore. You don't need that kind of setback. Hope the antibiotics work quickly. At least, the news about your BG is good.

FBG 12.9! BG at 1 o'clock 15.3. Half an hour ago I upped the new insulin by another 2 points and had scrambled eggs with 2 RyVita. I also upped the basal dose by another 2 points, but my FBGs are still rising.

I've made some butternut squash and spinach mash to have later - maybe with a little cheese, or even another egg. I do have some bacon in the fridge and some smoked mackerel, but I don't fancy either of them with the mash. Still, bacon should go with it, so maybe...

I must clean out my larder - I was looking for some figs for Neil to try and I was sure I had some in a jar from way back. I couldn't find them but found that the box I keep nuts in was a mixture of dried fruits (no figs) and various nuts, all still in packages and some out of date. Sorted that out, but it indicates that the rest of the larder is probably in poor shape as well and could, in any case, do with a proper clean. One problem is that I keep as many glass jars as I can, for pickles etc and they all end up on a shelf in the larder, taking up space unnecessarily. Plus the overflow from my cookery book shelves. That doesn't help either.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
will catch up later and read all your news but just wanted to put my new revised chaffle mix on post for in case anyone interested.
Did spot your infected foot though @Rachox - do take care hope it improves soon.
@ziggy_w at long last I got round to sourcing some Oat fibre flour which seems amazing and so so low carb - thank you some bread related and biscuit related experiments ahead I think! I know you use it for bread over there in Germany but hadnt seen it for sale here in Uk before. Here it is:
IMG_8768.JPG
its 0.3 g of carb per 100g so can feel lots of experimentation coming on!! In my first chaffle experiment I halved the almond flour and did half of oat fibre flour and this brings down the carb content greatly and think next time may even take it further down as it seems to work well as a replacement flour. I know at lot of chaffle makers go for flourless ones with just cheese and eggs but I prefer a more bready type one that I can use as replacement toast etc.
Heres the recipe I used:

Revised Chaffles using oat fibre

To make 12 Chaffles - 1 gram of carb per chaffle approx

Heat up the waffle maker – I use a non-stick electric one

Meanwhile measure out into a bowl:

250g of full fat cream cheese (3g of carb per 100g – 7.5 g for whole)

60g of Almond Flour (6g of carb per 100g – 3.6 g per mix)

60g of Organic oat Fibre (0.3 g of carb per 100g – so trace for 60g)

4 eggs

3 teaspoons of Psyllium Husk powder

1 and a half teaspoons of Baking Powder

Dash of warm water

Using electric whisk - whisk up until all well mixed it will be very liquid at this stage. Leave to stand a few mins the PH will thicken it up.

Use a tablespoon to get right amount of chaffle mix – should do 12 waffles without stinting.

Drop the spoonful of mix into the maker – cook for 2 mins as re-heating later.

As each one cooks take it out and put to cool on the cooling tray. They can then be frozen for later use and reheating. I put kitchen towel between to keep separate and then bag in large plastic bag to keep them better – I have frozen for up to a month.

I tend to use for a range of purposes:

Butter them and fill for a toasted sandwich if butter outside they can be cooked in a frying pan

Reheat and serve as a sweet with fibre sugar free syrup and cream

Toast from frozen – but keep a close eye to stop from burning – as use instead of toast or naan bread etc.

IMG_8769.JPG

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening!
Need to be accountable for what I'm eating at the moment as I'm struggling again. Very much hoping I can get control when back at work next week but I fear cake will feature and I'm not so good at avoiding it at the moment.

Have made some fab discoveries recently, coconut flour flat breads that actually stay together, mini milk ice lollies which are only 4g carbs... but eaten far too many carbs overall. Well, not so many compared with before diagnosis but still loads.

The carbs have hit and I am finding it hard to kick them again. I need to get off them once and for all. The addiction is real!

Bad things today have included a hot cross bun and a magnum.
Good things have included some oompf and salad at lunchtime.
Need more good and less bad.

I bought some nice stilton and I'll make LC crackers tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I can adapt my LC bread recipe to give me a cheese scone or a hot cross bun type of hit.

So tomorrow should consist of
Stilton and crackers for lunch,
Aldi LC pasta (love it!) with chicken, mushroom and pesto for dinner.
Hot cross style roll experiment for a snack.
@DCUKMod thanks for tag here is my adapted cheese scone recipe - they freeze well and can be buttered and treated like a roll for a picnic or office based lunch!

Cheese Scones -makes 9/10 small scones

Carb content is 13g per whole mix therefore 1.3g carb per scone. Carb comes mainly from the ground almonds.

Ingredients

• 150g Ground Almonds

• 50g psyllium Husk – this makes them more scone like

• 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder

• 2 eggs

• 1 teaspoon English Mustard Powder

• 70g of Butter - melted

• 100g of grated cheese + some extra for tops before baking

• 2 teaspoon salt

• Pepper to season

Method

1. Preheat oven to 160 fan and line tray with liner

2. Add all dry ingredients (except cheese) in good sized mixing bowl.

3. Melt the butter

4. Beat egg and butter together and then add a little at a time to the dry ingredients to right texture - not too sticky - and then mix in cheese. Keep some aside for decorating the scones

5. Sprinkle PH onto a board or surface and put ball of dough onto surface.

6. Cut 10 scones out, sprinkle grated cheese on top and put on prepared tray

7. Cook for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.

NB I am planning to try and bake these in a week or so using a revised recipe using the Oat bran I have discovered thanks to @ziggy_w this will make them lower carb - see my earlier chaffle post for details but even if used a 50/50 split would take them down to 1g of carb or less per scone and I may try doing 2 thrrds oat bran - will let you know how it works!!!

mouseee

@DCUKMod thanks for tag here is my adapted cheese scone recipe - they freeze well and can be buttered and treated like a roll for a picnic or office based lunch!

Cheese Scones -makes 9/10 small scones

Carb content is 13g per whole mix therefore 1.3g carb per scone. Carb comes mainly from the ground almonds.

Ingredients

• 150g Ground Almonds

• 50g psyllium Husk – this makes them more scone like

• 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder

• 2 eggs

• 1 teaspoon English Mustard Powder

• 70g of Butter - melted

• 100g of grated cheese + some extra for tops before baking

• 2 teaspoon salt

• Pepper to season

Method

1. Preheat oven to 160 fan and line tray with liner

2. Add all dry ingredients (except cheese) in good sized mixing bowl.

3. Melt the butter

4. Beat egg and butter together and then add a little at a time to the dry ingredients to right texture - not too sticky - and then mix in cheese. Keep some aside for decorating the scones

5. Sprinkle PH onto a board or surface and put ball of dough onto surface.

6. Cut 10 scones out, sprinkle grated cheese on top and put on prepared tray

7. Cook for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.

NB I am planning to try and bake these in a week or so using a revised recipe using the Oat bran I have discovered thanks to @ziggy_w this will make them lower carb - see my earlier chaffle post for details but even if used a 50/50 split would take them down to 1g of carb or less per scone and I may try doing 2 thrrds oat bran - will let you know how it works!!!
Thank you so much! I will be making a batch very soon. I needed something good for lunches and that will fit the bill nicely.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Rachox hope your foot soon recovers. Sounds painful.
@mouseee welcome to the thread. Looking forward to seeing your menus.

Canal walk from Droitwich Spa to Alvechurch today. Bit of an adventure which at one point involved crawling under a fence using my backpack as a defence against barbed wire.

OMAD day - train back stops conveniently close to the Five Guys near the hotel, so dropped by for a bunless bacon cheeseburger with fried onions before stopping by Sainsbury’s to pick up some extra thick double cream to eat with some of the chocolate picked up at Hotel Chocolat yesterday.

Last day of hols tomorrow and deciding whether I want to visit a floating market on one canal or go for an epic walk on another.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal sounds like a real adventure! You are very determined - no silly barbed wire is going to stop you once you’ve planned a route!
@mouseee welcome back to the thread and hope scones work out - some low carbers seem to be able to happily bounce along fairly carnivorously but I , for one, seem to need some pretend carb replacements and they keep me on track, so for me important - you need to find out what works best for you. I’ve now been doing this almost three years and for me I need to stay keto to control my bgs but also have low carb treats too to keep me on the right path - baking for me and freezing portions works but know that for some it can trigger their oldcarb addiction - you need to experiment and work out what’s best for you
@Annb you seem to have lots of stuff store in your larders and freezers that you feel need using -It’s hard to feel you're wasting perfectly good food but must be a temptation?
@Chook enjoy that holidaybut can’t imagine a carvery without the meat! The carvery we go to when at mums the veggies are the most worrying part - their cauliflower cheese def puts up my bgs hope you have better luck
@Bex72 hi there sounds like you are doing great.
@MrsA2 agree about peanut butter eggs but agree with @DJC3 that this makes them difficult to over eat and they hit the sweet spot meanwhile
@Mrs T 123 well done on the weight loss - on cutting back on the cream. It’s an issue when you’re motoring along fuelled by fat as if you provide too much dietary fat you won’t use your own but a good way of maintaining when you’re at target!
Breakfast exercise session - now been doing 18/6 for several weeks find I wake up hungry but with a low fbg - an exercise session followed by black coffee gets rid of hunger until about 1 and time for lunch
Lunch scrambled egg in butter served on last slice of lc toast( HiLo) - made chaffles today to use for toast replacement for next few weeks. Going to experiment making own lc bread in a week or so.
Mid pm newly cooked chaffle - see recipe above in earlier post - with sugar free syrup and cream
Dinner beef slow cooked casserole with sprouts and roast celeriac and glass of red wine pudding DGF lemon and blueberry brownie with a few garden berries and cream.
Just had cup of decaff coffee with cream and square of 100% m and s choc.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thank you so much! I will be making a batch very soon. I needed something good for lunches and that will fit the bill nicely.
Like the sound of these very much @mouseee hope to make some soon.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely I'm not the only one who knows @Goonergal will opt for the epic walk instead of the market? ;)

Found a lidl near where we are staying so better stocked up now. I do travel with nuts and seeds and baking powder but apparently hubby needs to eat too!
Bought lots of carby stuff as we were going to meet family with teenagers for a picnic, then they cancelled on us so I have muffins and flapjacks and crisps staring back at me :arghh:

Brunch ff greek with berries and seeds
Mid afternoon half a small rock cake. Hubby had one and a half and 2 custard tarts. Not sure this skipping lunch is working very well for him.
D. Cold roast chicken with home grown salad and fresh green beans. One quarter of hubby's bottle of cider. 1 peanut egg in very small bits

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Boot camp - go girl! just like @zauberflote I too would probably be on the floor without any food before exercise. Lovely new avatar@shelley262. @Chook Happy holidays! @Goonergal your holiday sounds like a great adventure. @Rachox rest up and take care Mrs. @zauberflote what do you use funugreek for? Hi & welcome @Bex72 & @mouseee

Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey and watered down double cream.

Dinner - breast of chicken with large salad from everything such as pickled onions to olives thrown in with grated cheese over the top of course. Last of 100% montezumas black with orange nibs washed down with cup of earl grey and watered down double cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your lovely comments, my feet are improving especially the infected one, I have done nothing today, resting with my feet up, slept for 2 hours on the sofa this afternoon with my family tiptoeing around me so as not to wake me up!
Anyway food today:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd.
Late Lunch: left over crispy duck followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and a splash of gravy, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have had mini holiday from dietry restrictions. Been eating lots of carbs. Pain chocolat, chips, fruit, ( how can fruit be bad for me? Isn't it full of vitamins?) bread, pasta, puddings, icecream, biscuits, pizza. As well as huge amounts of cheese and some chocolate. Now trying to get back to sensible eating.

Breakfast 2x CWC nut granola.
CWC
Lunch : salad made with half an avocado, half a tomato,( had to buy some) cucumber, spring onion, and Brebis cheese. Small piece of rustique baguette with butter and 2 slices of Black Forest ham garnished with cornichons. Tea.
Dinner. Fish with breadcrumbs (11g carbs)
Cauliflower, few beans, roasted courgette. Mini icecream lolly and this time managed to stop at one. (14g carbs) did not test today other than FBG this morning. 2 glasses wine.
CWC.
Lemon tea.
While dinner was cooking started to make cauliflower cheese bread. By the time cauliflower was blitzed and cooked dinner was ready, so will have to finish making it tomorrow. Maybe will also make chorizo melts.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook and @Mrs T 123 I used to eat black beans Every Day at lunch, but they are very high carb according to the can. How is this Aldi spaghetti made, and do you only eat 3 or 4 spagoodles? Mrs T the fenugreek was in a "berbere" seasoning for a chicken dish that .... and now I've lost track of the recipe!!! Anyway, I looked up the berbere seasoning that's called for, thinking to make my own. Fenugreek is one of the ingredients.
@Annb how frustrating! What was the original point of trying the new insulin? Were you having too many hypos? I thought you were going to say you'd found that £100 note you stashed in 1987 in the nuts/fruit box! Too bad...
@shelley262 I have a big bag of oat fiber, which tastes like cardboard and eats like dust if I even use just a little bit in a flax mix-- sounds like your is better disguised. I'm looking at the pic, and either your waffle maker is only 3" across, or your tablespoon is DRASTICALLY larger than ours. Ours is 15 ml=3 teaspoons.
@Goonergal eek the barbed wire "bahb wahr" as we may say if challenged Dang I can't even spell that in a way that will make it come out right in proper English!! I vote for epic walk-- and will find out what you chose tomorrow night!
@Rachox doing a little Happy Feet dance for your improving feet! In case you wondered where your Jaffa cakes have gone, I ate them all yesterday...
@SlimLizzy how do you breathe while sanding plaster?? And how the heck do you sand the ceiling? That must be brutal on the neck and shoulders!
Yesterday's food shall have a veil drawn over the worst of it. You may imagine homemade ginger molasses cookie smells wafting around the wagon I fell off of, though.
Sunday:
Bfast avocado, boiled egg, pecans, 1 Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy milk
Lunch en famille wonderful charcoal grilled barbecue chicken, tender, tasty, perfect. Fresh guacamole, grape tomatoes, 2 Lindt 90% while everybody else ate the whole batch of the above mentioned cookies. Lunch continued at home unfortunately with this and that LC food but didn't need any of it.
Supper wilted spinach/hm dressing, Vermont Cabot 3-year cheddar, flax crisps/dilute soy. Feeling the effects of too much chocolate at lunch grrrr.
Happy whatever you call your bank holiday Monday!