Newly diagnosed. Was doing well but now ????

Robpaps

I ended up in hospital in May with ketoacidosis. I felt so ill. No idea was diabetic. They unsure if I type 1 or 2 as happened so quickly.
After a week in hospital went home having inject insulin. Been doing really well. Got my sugars down and kept in range between 5 and 6.5.
They still unsure what type I am because To check they taken me off Nova Rapid and now on Glicazide. I still on metphormin & inject lantus.
What a nightmare since Glicazide . Glucose regular in 8, 9 & 10 & yesterday I had my first hypo as lows 3.3.
I’m so upset and despondent because I gone from great control really quickly to levels ups & downs so bad I’m afraid be left alone.
Anybody else found Glicazide worse than injecting Nova Rapid?
Anybody else still confused if type 1 or two.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

Have they done antibody (GAD) tests and/or c-peptide tests? Normally T1s produce very little (eventually zero) insulin while T2s start by overproducing insulin, so the c-peptide should be a good indicator.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you having insulin resistance (T2) and also have reducing quantities of insulin (T1), which could make the diagnosis complicated....

Anyway, try not to be too discouraged by periods of less than stellar control, the issue is your long term control, and that will be easier if they have a true diagnosis.

Whichever type of diabetes you have, there will be (virtual) support on here to help you cope with it.

Good luck.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I hope they did the relevant testing as mentioned by @EllieM - this will help a lot in deciding which type you have, which is extremely important. Good luck and welcome!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up in hospital in May with ketoacidosis. ... They still unsure what type I am because To check they taken me off Nova Rapid and now on Glicazide. ... Anybody else found Glicazide worse than injecting Nova Rapid?
As Gliclazide has been prescribed, they must have decided you are T2. Gliclazide only works if insulin producing cells in the pancreas are working. It is a T2 medication. They may have done antibody tests and got a negative result. It is still possible to be T1, though. Ask your doctor about the antibody test and give feedback on starting gliclazide.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ended up in hospital in May with ketoacidosis. I felt so ill. No idea was diabetic. They unsure if I type 1 or 2 as happened so quickly.
After a week in hospital went home having inject insulin. Been doing really well. Got my sugars down and kept in range between 5 and 6.5.
They still unsure what type I am because To check they taken me off Nova Rapid and now on Glicazide. I still on metphormin & inject lantus.
What a nightmare since Glicazide . Glucose regular in 8, 9 & 10 & yesterday I had my first hypo as lows 3.3.
I’m so upset and despondent because I gone from great control really quickly to levels ups & downs so bad I’m afraid be left alone.
Anybody else found Glicazide worse than injecting Nova Rapid?
Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling great at the moment, I think blood test results will help you find out what type you are and then the best meds.
Perhaps they’re trying to keep your blood sugars down until they know from results? I used to take Gliclazide (when gp said I was type 2) I’d been sitting at blood sugar readings of 12-20 during the day. It really helped to bring me down, but I’d hypo too. It’s a horrible feeling, so I really get what you mean there. Especially if you had felt quite well controlled and confident with levels before now. Glic is a long acting med so it stays in the system over hours. I was swapped to Repaglinide which is short lasting, about 4 hours. So you’d take it before each meal. With both you’d need carbs couldn’t do keto diet or anything or yourll drop too low and feel unwell. It was much better for me. But we are all different. Maybe call the nurse and ask why you are on the combinations of meds you are now and how you are finding it, and can it be reviewed please in a month or 3 months?
The meds stopped working for me in the end despite upping the dose a lot! But my blood tests had come back and I was GAD and islet cell positive, so type 1. I’m now on novorapid and finding it good.
It can take a little while on these diabetes journeys to find out type and best treatment, but I’d say sometimes you have to ask and push for certain tests and care, a plan of treatment and review will help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What dose of Gliclazide are you on? This drug stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin so if you are having hypos the dose is too high. The lowest dose for Glic is 40mg so if you are on higher than that ask for it to be reduced. If you have excess weight T2 is likely and vice versa for T1 but the C-Peptide test will help resolve.