Type 1'stars R Us

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a couple of incidents like that @Antje77 when I was new to all this injecting malarky and I was trying to use my bum for basal injecting more. Can't completely remember what I did (other than newbie total panic but that happened with almost every injection at that point) but probably added some extra to have some long-acting and covered unexpected rises with corrections. With that, I blamed the fact I couldn't see what I was doing easily so waiting until I felt a lot more confident about the whole process to return to using bum for basal!
Oh pleased to see this! I was told to inject my long acting into the top of my bum area...bit hit and miss sometimes with the angle and how far my arms can reach. Do most type 1s do bum for long acting and thighs, tummy for rapid? This is all I know, hope I’m doing it right!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh pleased to see this! I was told to inject my long acting into the top of my bum area...bit hit and miss sometimes with the angle and how far my arms can reach. Do most type 1s do bum for long acting and thighs, tummy for rapid? This is all I know, hope I’m doing it right!

I can only reply for me - but I was certainly encouraged to use bum, thighs and tummy so to rotate sites but given no specific instructions as to what where!

I now tend to use bum for long-acting as I tend to be at home when I administer it so am less likely to be observed! Tummy is easiest when at work, though at least two of my students who are T1 use arms/thighs and think my use of tummy/bum is gross! (On reflection, they were diagnosed young so that's probably because arms/thighs easier sites for others to administer to.)

Reactions: Rose22

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only reply for me - but I was certainly encouraged to use bum, thighs and tummy so to rotate sites but given no specific instructions as to what where!

I now tend to use bum for long-acting as I tend to be at home when I administer it so am less likely to be observed! Tummy is easiest when at work, though at least two of my students who are T1 use arms/thighs and think my use of tummy/bum is gross! (On reflection, they were diagnosed young so that's probably because arms/thighs easier sites for others to administer to.)
Ah interesting ok thanks. Will carry on as I am then. I’d heard of type 1s using arms too, may hurt more? Like thighs as they don’t hurt at all! Tummy bruises easily..

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah interesting ok thanks. Will carry on as I am then. I’d heard of type 1s using arms too, may hurt more? Like thighs as they don’t hurt at all! Tummy bruises easily..
I do quick acting in tummy, thighs usually hurt for me so I leave them alone. I like arms for long acting, or the occasional hip.
I've never really thought of bum, might give it a try :)

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do quick acting in tummy, thighs usually hurt for me so I leave them alone. I like arms for long acting, or the occasional hip.
I've never really thought of bum, might give it a try :)
Oh really, it’s funny we all have different places that hurt more or less. I do fast acting in tummy too, as works faster (and I’m often a bit late to inject once actually tried work out carbs and what I’ll be doing later and current number and serving up food to kids who are starving) but do get some whopper bruises!
Thighs I love as can’t really feel, and easy to do it without much notice, again fast acting. Then I do levemir top of bum area, as the nurse said it’s a fatty area to help it absorb a bit slower?! which is quite hard to reach with the pen at the right angle, and at home! Not sure anyone would be too impressed if I tried this area when out! ☺️

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve popped a freestyle libre on to see me over the next week or so, I find it helps ease any anxiety when I’m out. As my two children go back to school tomorrow (after a very lot six months off!) feeling a bit apprehensive, my husband was shielding so that finished in August and now it feels like a sudden big jump back to being around lots of people and a step closer to normality. the positive is they will see friends, which is sooo needed and I will have some peace and quiet! Soooo needed!
I’ve got my flu vaccination booked for next weekend, so that’s good. Could book it online at gps, seem to go in a colour door with a two minute time slot. Here come all the school bugs no doubt! So good to be ready!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon guys, long time no posting. Been going through some bad times, eventually I got in touch with my GP and now I'm on anti-depressant tablets, it will take a few weeks to kick in, so I'm keeping everything crossed.

On a very very sad note our beloved cat Pebbles died suddenly last week, 27th August, I still can't believe she has gone she was such a lovely good-natured, loving cat, I miss her terribly.

View attachment 43703 XOX
Good to see you back, very sorry to hear you're low, and so sorry to hear about Pebbles. That must be devastating, sending many hugs and hopes that your tablets work and quickly xx

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to see you posting again @Robinredbreast. So sorry you've been having bad times, and have also lost your cat. Pets are such a big part of our family, it's such a loss when they die. Sending big hugs, and hope the anti-depressants soon help.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
49 years type1 and have never done a jab in my arms. My basal used to go into my stomach and bolus into the tops of my legs

Reactions: hh1 and Rose22

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning and a brighter day today as I can put my plastering tools away away :) :) (poetry that :p) so the feeling of relief is strong today, or it will be until I pick the sanding block back up :)

I'm definitely working more efficiently with the miaomiao on, when I plastered the kitchen ceiling last year I chucked a few hypos but now I get a heads up warning in real time when I'm busy which after all these years is pretty cool.

Jab sites? Thighs for basal and belly for bolus.

Have a good one.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
49 years type1 and have never done a jab in my arms. My basal used to go into my stomach and bolus into the tops of my legs
Ah that’s interesting, wonder why some people are told to try arms and others not? Or is it really a case of anywhere being fine..human pin cushion? Arms I associate with jabs but probably quite a practical place to use, especially when out.

Reactions: hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was just told give yourself a shot in the stomach. But I wasn't told much lol...................I have tried arms, legs just to mix it up sometimes in the past. Now I am on a pump and just don't do shots that much.

Reactions: Rose22 and hh1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ah that’s interesting, wonder why some people are told to try arms and others not? Or is it really a case of anywhere being fine..human pin cushion? Arms I associate with jabs but probably quite a practical place to use, especially when out.

When I first started injecting I had to use the glass and metal syringes with what looked like darning needles attached. We had to pinch the skin on injecting. The arms were never an option then as you couldnt pinch and inject at the same time :)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first started injecting I had to use the glass and metal syringes with what looked like darning needles attached. We had to pinch the skin on injecting. The arms were never an option then as you couldnt pinch and inject at the same time :)

I got it a little after the plastic syringes came out but they were 12mm long so you had to pinch, but I'm sure it was called an intramuscular injection back then.

I did thank my clinic a couple of years back when they changed me to 4mm needles :banghead::banghead:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was only about 3 years ago - after over 30 years injecting - that I was told I should inject basal and bolus in different locations as they can interact. And whilst I've learnt lots on here, I was pretty well-informed via reading etc, so I don't know how I missed that bit of info. Prior to that, I'd used the front of my torso for everything. I now have lipohypertrophy in areas of my stomach so I avoid them and inject bolus anywere else on the front of my torso up to my bra line. Basal goes in thighs or bum. I've tried using arms - you do need enough fat to avoid muscle - but I find it the most awkward of all and the hardest to keep track of where I've injected so I mostly avoid it.