Foods that cause bloating

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had stomach pains and bloating in the past 10 years. Yoghurt has been a problem so I eat it infrequently. I have recently looked more closely at which foods cause bloating and have pinpointed milk, cheese (although surprisingly Brie seems to be ok), cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage - all the foods I would eat as low carb. Help please, what can I eat that is low carb and won’t affect my stomach?

Reactions: Pamstrachan

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
You might want to try starting with a simple diet and then add things over time to see what does/does not effect you. I believe meat is considered the food which is least likely to cause indigestion. Other low carb food to try; eggs, fish, spinach, kale, nuts, berries... Even other veg like root veg/peas etc is ok depending on your carb intake level and tolerance for that type of carb.

Maybe other cheeses might be ok for you? Goats cheese? Feta?

I used to think I was lactose intolerant for years until I went low carb and Lo! The bloating went away... Turns out it was the starches all along ;) I know the pain of not having some of the low carb options available - I'm allergic to eggs.

Good luck!

Reactions: aqualung

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always had stomach pains and bloating in the past 10 years. Yoghurt has been a problem so I eat it infrequently. I have recently looked more closely at which foods cause bloating and have pinpointed milk, cheese (although surprisingly Brie seems to be ok), cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage - all the foods I would eat as low carb. Help please, what can I eat that is low carb and won’t affect my stomach?

I would try lactofree dairy for a few weeks, to see if your problem is lactose intolerance.

Reactions: aqualung

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lactose free maybe worth trying. Or the FODMAP diet, it’s cutting out lots foods that are known to cause bloating like cauliflower etc that family isn’t easily digested, hence build up of gas. Should be info online. Then you can try introducing foods back in and see. GP advised me to do it few years ago for bloating and ibs type symptoms. Interestingly after speaking with dietician, she is suggesting a blood test for celiac as common with type 1, autoimmune. Not sure if wheat/ gluten a problem for you too?
Sorry should add low fodmap foods be good, so green beans for eg are safe for bloating but not broccoli.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I have started using almond milk in my tea. I had the same meal as last night without the broccoli and my stomach is fine. My husband used to roll his eyes at low carb but has got used to it. Now I can’t eat the veg either...he’s not impressed!

Reactions: Pamstrachan

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I have started using almond milk in my tea. I had the same meal as last night without the broccoli and my stomach is fine. My husband used to roll his eyes at low carb but has got used to it. Now I can’t eat the veg either...he’s not impressed!

Thing is you have two changes in play there - swapping milk and ditching veggies.

Of course, both may be issues, but right now, you have no idea if only one is.

It can take a little longer than a few days for these things to become clear. WShen I try these elimination phases, where I believe I might have an issue, I make only one change each minimum of 2 weeks. If you were to think you had an issue with gluten, that required several weeks of exclusion to make any judgement.

I do hope you find your answer, or answers.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is you have two changes in play there - swapping milk and ditching veggies.

Of course, both may be issues, but right now, you have no idea if only one is.

It can take a little longer than a few days for these things to become clear. WShen I try these elimination phases, where I believe I might have an issue, I make only one change each minimum of 2 weeks. If you were to think you had an issue with gluten, that required several weeks of exclusion to make any judgement.

I do hope you find your answer, or answers.

Thank you! You’re right I am trying to change too much at once. I’ll concentrate on the milk issue for a while longer

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! You’re right I am trying to change too much at once. I’ll concentrate on the milk issue for a while longer

Fingers crossed for you. It's hard enough having to give things up, without ending up not entirely sure what we had to give up, rather than what we gave up anyway.

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
I found that lamp and pork made me bloted, which happend since I was dianogsed T2D.

Terry.