Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi,

Well done.

There is no advantages as such.

But one thing I have noticed, for me if I have the odd treat like pizza, chocolate ect. My blood sugars dont spike anymore.

But I am too scared of it coming back, so i only do the odd treat.

But I found diet and exercise works wonders for me. So I am just going to keep at it. Plus I love the new more energy levels I have have now.

Reactions: rebowe1308

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Wow Becky, you sound like me from your post! I'm a Becky too. I'm newer to this than you. I have been monitoring what I eat and my blood glucose and know that my results are in a non diabetic range now too (my first HbA1c was 78 and I'm due a blood test in a few weeks. I also was taking Metformin and it made me feel incredibly nauseous and I came off it after 6 hellish days. From what I understand, it is possible to put type 2 diabetes into remission through eating a low carb diet. However, if you go back to eating carbs, the diabetes will return. Some say the diabetes is reversed but really I think it is held at bay and controlled with diet.
Well done for what you have achieved. Good luck.

Reactions: rebowe1308

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow Becky, you sound like me from your post! I'm a Becky too. I'm newer to this than you. I have been monitoring what I eat and my blood glucose and know that my results are in a non diabetic range now too (my first HbA1c was 78 and I'm due a blood test in a few weeks. I also was taking Metformin and it made me feel incredibly nauseous and I came off it after 6 hellish days. From what I understand, it is possible to put type 2 diabetes into remission through eating a low carb diet. However, if you go back to eating carbs, the diabetes will return. Some say the diabetes is reversed but really I think it is held at bay and controlled with diet.
Well done for what you have achieved. Good luck.

Hi Becky, thanks for the reply and well done to you. Yes it’s a shame to think so cute but. An control diet alone. I really didn’t want to be taking meds for the rest of my life so a hard look at my lifestyle and this is what had to change. Shame it took me to 40 years old to realise how important your health it. Well done Becky, hopefully we can remain in low Hb1ac’s for the foreseeable future x

Reactions: Bex72

radmm0

Hi
Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice?
I was diagnosed type 2 middle of January with HbA1c of 96 !
Was put on 4 x metformin slow release and was due my 1st blood test and review in april. Obviously with covid this never went ahead.
When diagnosed I found this group and still use it for guidance on a daily basis. I have been on a very low carb diet had no bread pasta rice ever since diagnosis. Make all my own low carb alternatives etc.
Anyhow, 5 weeks ago I finally had my blood test and have been calling my surgery weekly to be told the results hadn’t come back and that a diabetic nurse would call me when they had as to arrange a review.
I test my blood sugars throughout the day every day and my estimate HbA1c is between 5.6/5.7
Today I had a call from the receptionist to say that my results were back and said they were normal, I asked her to elaborate to which she told me I could go and collect a print out. I have just collected the print out which states I am 39 mmol and says non diabetic range.
I asked if I could book and appointment with diabetic nurse to be told that she is inundated at the moment and working through all the reviews.
I gradually stopped taking my metformin back at the end of May due to the sickness etc that it was causing and didn’t feel I could call my gp surgery as they haven’t been the best. I haven’t taken any metformin since the first week of June.
Anyhow, after that long story, I was someone would be able to give some advice on whether I would now be considered as non diabetic as that is what it says on the print out ?
Thanks
Becky

Hi Becky

I've only just joined the forum. I don't think we should underestimate the positive impact of regular activity/exercise on T2D, as well as a low carb healthy diet.

I've been T2D for 8 years with a daily 4 x Metformin tablets, which were helping until a year ago, when the GP added one daily 25mg Sitagliptin tablet to stabilise my T2D.

I was made redundant in January & unfortunately due to Covid19 haven't been able to find another job, so I've been stuck at home for the past 9 months - eating, snacking & not much walking or exercise. This resulted in my last HbA1c test in March being 98 & a repeat a month later showing 113.

Prior to the recent upsurge in my T2D levels I had managed to keep my HbA1c between 55 and 70 with the 4 Metformins & regular walking.

The recent very high readings resulted in my GP referring me to a Diabetic Clinician & a Dietitian to try to help me to better control my T2D. The Clinician has increased my 25mg Sitaglipin to a daily 100mg instead and he's sent me a blood test kit to record my blood sugar level BEFORE breakfast & evening meals, i.e. two readings. The Clinician will be calling me on 16th Sept to get the readings and will then decide whether I should go on Insulin or not, which I'm desperate to avoid.

So, I decided to get myself sorted out & started going to the gym (when they re-opened), regular brisk walking & watching what I eat (especially fruit, which I can't get enough of normally!). I can already see a slight reduction in the daily readings, so I'm hoping to avoid being put on insulin by continuing with the new exercise regime & reduced fruit intake.

Any other hints & tips would be much appreciated.

Rgds.
radmm0

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hi Becky, thanks for the reply and well done to you. Yes it’s a shame to think so cute but. An control diet alone. I really didn’t want to be taking meds for the rest of my life so a hard look at my lifestyle and this is what had to change. Shame it took me to 40 years old to realise how important your health it. Well done Becky, hopefully we can remain in low Hb1ac’s for the foreseeable future x
Hi Becky
The low carb diet is both easy and hard, I'm not craving foods but just miss the idea of them and the social aspect. I have been mourning what I can no longer eat and drink (if I'm going to stay off meds).
I am on meds for life for thyroid disease. I have had large parts of my life on meds for severe migraine with aura. I use HRT. When I was diagnosed T2DM I also got a diagnosis of high cholesterol and was ofered statins. I declined. If I can keep off meds for diabetes it will be a bonus.
I still feel stunned that cornflakes have a higher glycemic index than coco pops!
My love affair with sauvignon blanc may be over but rum and coke zero is my new poison. Only 1 or 2 though.
It just seems so bizarre that I didn't realise carbs such as bread, rice, pasta are quickly converted to glucose once digested.
It's such a learning curve and so much trial and error in finding what foods keep your blood sugar stable.
Good luck, you're not alone.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It just seems so bizarre that I didn't realise carbs such as bread, rice, pasta are quickly converted to glucose once digested.
Why would you realise this, when the majority of health professionals haven't yet grasped it? My (very kind) GP when recently prescribing a med. for me replied to my objection that it might raise my bg by proudly quoting its label - "sugar free". I had to point out that it did contain maltodextrin, and also sorbitol, which is said to raise bg about half as much as sugar. It is exhausting to have (tactfully) to counter ignorance in our doctors and lies from manufacturers, but such is our fate! Or perhaps more positively, our challenge.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morally, or legally entitled?

Morally, like I say, this government takes every penny it feels it's entitled to from me. I have no qualms in taking back what I'm allowed. The fact that only people in England pay prescription fees (and people in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales do not) is also a hideously unfair system. Morally, speaking.

So that just leaves legally...

Sadly, I didn't keep the covering letter, but someone has kindly scanned it and posted it here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ming-off-meds-for-diabetes-temporarily.76453/

It expressly states that the certificate is valid for 5 years, even if the holder's medical condition changes. My NHS treatment plan for my condition is Metformin. The fact that I've chosen not to take the medication doesn't negate the fact that it was prescribed. I did not even request the certificate. The application form was given to me by the nurse, as part of a whole bundle of diabetes related documentation, and I was advised that free prescriptions were one of the (few) perks of being diabetic.

So I do not believe I am committing any kind of fraud by using this certificate to obtain free prescriptions, up to its expiry date. It was not obtained under false pretences (I was intending to use the Metformin at the time I completed the form) and it seems there is no mechanism for it to be revoked before its expiry. If, in 5 years time, I'm still controlling my diabetes by diet alone, there's a good chance my GP will not be prescribing me diabetes meds and I will have to start paying again.

Of course I could fill my Metformin prescription and lie to my GP that I'm using it. But I think I would feel guilty about that.
@Nicole T taking meds for diabetes, regardless of Type, is not the only reason for being given a prescription exemption card. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2018 and would have been automatically entitled to free prescriptions for 5 years even though at the time I only needed an operation. I didn’t need an exemption card it because I‘ve already had one for Thyroid meds since 2013 and now get them free automatically because I am over 60. At the time you were on medication for your diabetes and, as you correctly say, you don’t know whether you’ll need them again. In addition diabetes can cause other health issues which you may well need a prescription for.