Hba1c back within normal range

SQ71

HBA1C 1st Jun = 51
HBA1C 1st Sep = 40

9kg weight-loss and low carb diet. I haven't discussed the results with doc yet, as I ordered and paid for the test myself as doc wanted to wait 7 months (probably a funding issue).

However, fasting BS are still not great. Range from 7.4 to 8.8 and I'm still having spikes (with symptoms) when I overdo carbs/sugar.

Obviously I need to do another 3 months of low carb/ reduced kj to get my hba1c back to my usual number of 33. But, I'm wondering what this all means?

Will I always have to eat low carb for the rest of my life? Will that fasting BS ever go down? Will I continue to have spikes? If it was to be fully reversed, how long roughly would that take to achieve?

Is the hba1c the most reliable tool for diagnosis? Can someone have a normal hba1c, a high fasting BS and still have diabetes?

Thanks in advance

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But, I'm wondering what this all means?

I would argue that your body has a genetic susceptibility to not be able to process carbs in the quantities in the typical high carb modern diet. (probably along with 50% of the human race). Your insulin response isn't quite coping with your glycemic load, and though low carb is bringing your levels back to normal, you haven't quite got there yet.

Many of the T2s on here report that their fasting hba1c is the last to normalise.

As regards spikes, I believe that non diabetics can get them, but "symptoms" don't sound good and you should get your levels back to normal within 2 hours of a meal.

As regards future eating habits, if you go back to the previous diet which induced your diabetes then you'll probably get the diabetes (and its associated weight gain) back, but it's possible that you'll be able to eat moderate carbs without issue, your meter will let you know what you can cope with.

Everyone's a bit different, so most of your questions are on the lines of how long is a piece of string.

But 51 to 40 is an awesome result. Well done.

Reactions: KK123

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... HBA1C 1st Jun = 51
HBA1C 1st Sep = 40 ... Is the hba1c the most reliable tool for diagnosis? Can someone have a normal hba1c, a high fasting BS and still have diabetes? ...
HBA1c being below the level at which diabetes is diagnosed does not make it 'normal'. People who have not started down the diabetes track have HBa1c of 25-29. That your HBa1c is 40 reflects higher blood glucose on waking and probably in the early morning hours too. Well done, but the battle isn't over.

SQ71

I would argue that your body has a genetic susceptibility to not be able to process carbs in the quantities in the typical high carb modern diet. (probably along with 50% of the human race). Your insulin response isn't quite coping with your glycemic load, and though low carb is bringing your levels back to normal, you haven't quite got there yet.

Many of the T2s on here report that their fasting hba1c is the last to normalise.

As regards spikes, I believe that non diabetics can get them, but "symptoms" don't sound good and you should get your levels back to normal within 2 hours of a meal.

As regards future eating habits, if you go back to the previous diet which induced your diabetes then you'll probably get the diabetes (and its associated weight gain) back, but it's possible that you'll be able to eat moderate carbs without issue, your meter will let you know what you can cope with.

Everyone's a bit different, so most of your questions are on the lines of how long is a piece of string.

But 51 to 40 is an awesome result. Well done.
Ok. Thanks. From that I hear that the fasting BS might take a bit longer to come down. I understand that to go back to eating loads of carbs is going to send me back down the path towards diabetes, but I was hoping that I could go back to eating carbs such as potato, rice, pasta, bread as part of a balanced meal.

When I mentioned symptoms of high bs my gp dismissed that and said it happens to everybody (herself included) when they go from low carb, clean eating, to a carb heavy meal. She also was not concerned about the high fasting levels.

SQ71

HBA1c being below the level at which diabetes is diagnosed does not make it 'normal'. People who have not started down the diabetes track have HBa1c of 25-29. That your HBa1c is 40 reflects higher blood glucose on waking and probably in the early morning hours too. Well done, but the battle isn't over.
Thanks. Yeah will keep going.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results. Keeping testing will show you what your body can tolerate. For example I can manage 2 tablespoons of cooked rice without a spike, or 1 very small potato but i don't think i will ever get back to having 'normal restaurant portions' of any carbs. Aiming for managed remission. Reversal isnt possible, I don't think

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the olden days....they used to diagnose conditions such as impaired fasting glucose (Fasting numbers) and impaired glucose tolerance (Rise after glucose) as type of prediabetes. Either or both indicate poor glycemic function. So whilst you’ve done great the battle isn’t over.

Fasting is usually slower to respond than Hb1ac or post meal in low carb eating.

To some degree you are likely to always need to manage your levels by some method but you may regain some insulin sensitivity, the trick is not to lose it again as what broke initially is still at best patched up and likely to break again without care.

As far as what your dr mention it’s physiological insulin resistance caused by low carbing. A few days of normal carbs resolves this, but not the diabetic pathological insulin resistance.

Reactions: SQ71

Mozzermead

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HBA1C 1st Jun = 51
HBA1C 1st Sep = 40

9kg weight-loss and low carb diet. I haven't discussed the results with doc yet, as I ordered and paid for the test myself as doc wanted to wait 7 months (probably a funding issue).

However, fasting BS are still not great. Range from 7.4 to 8.8 and I'm still having spikes (with symptoms) when I overdo carbs/sugar.

Obviously I need to do another 3 months of low carb/ reduced kj to get my hba1c back to my usual number of 33. But, I'm wondering what this all means?

Will I always have to eat low carb for the rest of my life? Will that fasting BS ever go down? Will I continue to have spikes? If it was to be fully reversed, how long roughly would that take to achieve?

Is the hba1c the most reliable tool for diagnosis? Can someone have a normal hba1c, a high fasting BS and still have diabetes?

Thanks in advance
Hi
I got my blood test result yesterday and was told that it was HBA1. 39 and no action to be taken !
Admittedly in 2019 it was in the low 40’s but surely 39 is pre diabetes still ? So why was I told no action was needed ?

Reactions: SQ71

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I got my blood test result yesterday and was told that it was HBA1. 39 and no action to be taken !
Admittedly in 2019 it was in the low 40’s but surely 39 is pre diabetes still ? So why was I told no action was needed ?

42-47 mmol/m is considered "pre diabetes' in the UK
39 is considered normal so you are doing great.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The one I think you mean I have deleted and put on the right thread.. do we have a technical glitch as I'm sure I originally posted it where I wanted to...?

Yes, I was referring to the post you have deleted that was giving the latest stats on covid deaths.
Was going to offer to move it for you, if you wanted.
But you have now deleted it from this thread and reposted it elsewhere.
:)
As for there being a glitch, will keep an eye out, but haven't seen any reports of it happening to others.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I was referring to the post you have deleted that was giving the latest stats on covid deaths.
Was going to offer to move it for you, if you wanted.
But you have now deleted it from this thread and reposted it elsewhere.
:)
As for there being a glitch, will keep an eye out, but haven't seen any reports of it happening to others.
OK will monitor too. Ta x
Could just be old age I guess..

SQ71

Hi
In NZ, Below 40 = normal.
41-49 is pre-diabetes.
50+ is diabetes

I'd personally still continue to try and get it lower, even though they've told you "no action to be taken".