Hypo symptoms becoming less noticeable

SPC123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am 52 and have had Type 1 for over 20 years

when I started going low was accompanied by sweating, shaking, headaches etc. Now however I find that I can be at less than 3mmol and have no obvious signs

I don’t find this a major problem as I use the freestyle LibreLink and as a teacher test and adjust almost hourly.

just wondering if these changes were common

Thanks

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have very tight control? Spend a lot of time in the 4's? These can be factors in losing hypo awareness and yes it is a major issue seen as the Libre doesn't have alarms to alert of lows so during the night can be a big issue, I've lost hypo awareness on a few occasions but you can usually regain awareness by running levels a bit higher for a while
xx

SPC123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have very tight control? Spend a lot of time in the 4's? These can be factors in losing hypo awareness and yes it is a major issue seen as the Libre doesn't have alarms to alert of lows so during the night can be a big issue, I've lost hypo awareness on a few occasions but you can usually regain awareness by running levels a bit higher for a while
xx
Thanks for coming back. Sugars have been pretty steady and lower than usual during lockdown due to time for extra exercise. When teaching I usually let them drift up a bit to rule out having issues in front of the kids. Will see if that changes things. Cheers

Reactions: porl69

SPC123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SPC123 are you judging your hypo entirely on your Libre oppression are you checking those lows with a finger prick. Libre can should false lows if you are dehydrated or if you apply pressure to the sensor or just because it is not accurate.
If you want to include the alarms with Libre, there are options to “pimp your sensor” with Miaomiao or Bubble. These convert the NFC to Bluetooth which sends updates to your phone which can buzz if you go high or low.
Thanks for replying. Must admit have been a bit suspicious of Libre readings but when finger pricked it wasn’t miles out. Will check out the pimping options as a lack of alarm signal is my only complaint about LibreLink. Cheers

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't use a Libre but have suffered being less hypo aware like you over the last year. I now experience little until going below 4.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been hypo unaware for a few years now. Not good at all. Tghanks to Libre and Miaomiao I can set alarms to sound when going low. My DSN has asked me to be running my sugars at around 8mmol/L which I have been doing for the past 10-12 months. Still do not feel a hypo until the high 2s low 3s most of the time.
My only advice I can suggest is to run your sugars a tad higher for a bit and fingers crossed your symptoms will come back

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypo awareness also fades with age. At 63, my stress response to low blood glucose is very weak. I don't feel anything until blood glucose goes below 3. Keeping blood glucose higher doesn't help.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was given the same advice as @porl69 when my hypo symptoms grew weaker, and changed. In the earlier years I, too, got the sweaty shaking, the refusal of limbs to support, or move where directed, changes in eyesight, but now I’ve learned to recognise more subtle symptoms such as slower thought patterns, lack of concentration, occasional muscle tightening. A system that gives alarms helps a lot and I, too, use one.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'when I started going low was accompanied by sweating, shaking, headaches etc. Now however I find that I can be at less than 3mmol and have no obvious signs'

Exactly the same for me SPC123, from this old-timer, now 55 years on insulin. The most noticeable change in warning signs for me was years ago when they moved most of us on to human and off animal insulin. The only symptom I get now when the sugar level drops very low is sleepiness and I need to be very careful with that as I don't want to snooze into a hypo that I might have a problem wakening up from! Bill