New type 1 worried

Kerryann2020

Hi I was firstly diagnosed with type two the end of July but then my bloods came back that I’m type 1 . I’m on insulin but I’m so worried it could be something else .
pancreatic cancer
Liver cancer . Im worried sick .
I keep getting a pain on my right by my ribs .
Am I just worrying or is this common to get diagnosed but it be something worse . I’m 31 years old .

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Do you know what tests you had to confirm type 1 diagnosis? If you had antibodies test positive, that pretty much confirms you are diabetic because you have type 1.

Kerryann2020

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Do you know what tests you had to confirm type 1 diagnosis? If you had antibodies test positive, that pretty much confirms you are diabetic because you have type 1.
Yeah had the antibodies test Gad .my gad reading was 1300But what I’m worried it could be something else and the diabetes is just there because of the other thing .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah had the antibodies test Gad .my gad reading was 1300But what I’m worried it could be something else and the diabetes is just there because of the other thing .
As far as I know there are no other things that can cause you to have antibodies for diabetes.
Can you tell us why you're so frightened of those other things?
Type 1 diabetes with antibodies is a pretty straightforward diagnosis, no room for error really.

Kerryann2020

As far as I know there are no other things that can cause you to have antibodies for diabetes.
Can you tell us why you're so frightened of those other things?
Type 1 diabetes with antibodies is a pretty straightforward diagnosis, no room for error really.
I’m not really sure I worry about everything and think the worst about everything . I’m worried it could be pancreatic cancer or liver failure / cancer .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not really sure I worry about everything and think the worst about everything . I’m worried it could be pancreatic cancer or liver failure / cancer .
Cancer or liver failure don't cause those GAD antibodies. Testing positive for those means your immune system is attacking your insulin producing cells, hence T1 for sure.

Anyone can get cancer of course, with or without diabetes, but the chance of coincidentally developing T1 diabetes and cancer at the same time is ridiculously small. The one thing has nothing to do with the other.

But if you're this worried, please contact your doctor and tell them about your worries. They might well be able to explain why they know you do not have cancer, easing your fears.

In the mean time, you'll have your hands full with learning to manage your diabetes, wish you all the best with this as well, and please ask away on the forum!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Go back to your doctor and explain you're worried. The pain you mention could be a UTI (caused by excess sugar in your urine, a common diabetes side effect), and in any case should be checked.

But yes, if you have diabetes antibodies (GAD positive), then you have diabetes.

Kerryann2020

Cancer or liver failure don't cause those GAD antibodies. Testing positive for those means your immune system is attacking your insulin producing cells, hence T1 for sure.

Anyone can get cancer of course, with or without diabetes, but the chance of coincidentally developing T1 diabetes and cancer at the same time is ridiculously small. The one thing has nothing to do with the other.

But if you're this worried, please contact your doctor and tell them about your worries. They might well be able to explain why they know you do not have cancer, easing your fears.

In the mean time, you'll have your hands full with learning to manage your diabetes, wish you all the best with this as well, and please ask away on the forum!
Thank you for reassuring me . X

Reactions: Torres71