WHO data - Average FBG for every country in the world 2010

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream...d=9DA0220AC4CD425F74CD792C69810802?sequence=1

I found this document fascinating.
Scroll down to page 15 to get the country by country data.
I've screencapped the UK & US below.

UK.PNG

us.PNG

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With regard to the data, I find it interesting that BP & Cholesterol have gone down while BMI & FBG have both gone up over time.
I wonder if that is down to increased prescrition of BP medication & statins.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With regard to the data, I find it interesting that BP & Cholesterol have gone down while BMI & FBG have both gone up over time.
I wonder if that is down to increased prescrition of BP medication & statins.
Fascinating to see the downward trend of the cholesterol/bp versus the upward trend of obesity and diabetes but not surprising since current data that led to the conclusion that only 12% of the current US population is metabolically healthy!
What would be more interesting would be to see the fasting insulin rate and the trig/hdl ratos and yes the meds treat the symptoms only so we just keep getting fatter and sicker.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating to see the downward trend of the cholesterol/bp versus the upward trend of obesity and diabetes but not surprising since current data that led to the conclusion that only 12% of the current US population is metabolically healthy!

The average FBG of the US above 5.9 (106) certainly ties in with the belief that one third are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. I suppose the average is skewed higher as many could be well over 7 but nobody will be less than 3.5.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The average FBG of the US above 5.9 (106) certainly ties in with the belief that one third are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. I suppose the average is skewed higher as many could be well over 7 but nobody will be less than 3.5.
Indeed! I think the scary thing is all of those very large people who are insulin resistant with all the issues that causes but are not being picked up other than being told to lose weight (which they can't ) because their blood sugars are still okay.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Problem being the report is pretty sketchy on where the actual data comes from. Lots of mentions of estimates etc does make you wonder how accurate some of the "estimates" are especially in countries where medical testing is I'm pretty sure less frequent than Europe and the USA (there are also lots of blanks in the data of course).

I do wonder even in the UK what % of the population have ever had their FBG tested?

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point, I don't remember ever having a finger prick test until I had an over sixties health check.
And even then it would be pretty unlikely to have been fasting as we almost all would have had a cup of something before heading out to the docs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point, I don't remember ever having a finger prick test until I had an over sixties health check.
A few of my older (prediabetic but ignored!) ones were taken from venous draws where multiple tests were done rather than fingerpricks

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
A few of my older (prediabetic but ignored!) ones were taken from venous draws where multiple tests were done rather than fingerpricks
...I recall having a blood a1c test done at one stage. I was told it was all normal. Which upon refection is sub optimal information. Looking back its symptomatic of the "doctor knows best" attitude which disempowers patients .