Hair Loss - did you have it?

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, in a previous post I mentioned that I’ve been experiencing some hair loss as I’ve got into my keto diet.

I’ve lost a fair bit of weight and I put it down to that but I had bloods done to check for deficiencies. Most of the numbers came up pretty normal - except for Vitamin D and Zinc. (I will of course pick up supplements for that, but do either of those cause hair loss?)

Sidebar: Doc was pretty unhelpful to be honest. He was trying to squeeze me into a PCOH diagnosis.
Him: “I see you have had acne problems?”
Me: “No, not at all... ”
Him: “It’s on your file - 2004?”
I mean that’s 16 years ago! I was 19! How is that in any way relevant now?

However, reading around a bit I can see that it’s reasonably common for people to lose hair after weight loss or after going on keto.

Just wondering if anyone on here can attest to that? And maybe share if/when the hair ever became normal again?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, in a previous post I mentioned that I’ve been experiencing some hair loss as I’ve got into my keto diet.

I’ve lost a fair bit of weight and I put it down to that but I had bloods done to check for deficiencies. Most of the numbers came up pretty normal - except for Vitamin D and Zinc. (I will of course pick up supplements for that, but do either of those cause hair loss?)

Sidebar: Doc was pretty unhelpful to be honest. He was trying to squeeze me into a PCOH diagnosis.
Him: “I see you have had acne problems?”
Me: “No, not at all... ”
Him: “It’s on your file - 2004?”
I mean that’s 16 years ago! I was 19! How is that in any way relevant now?

However, reading around a bit I can see that it’s reasonably common for people to lose hair after weight loss or after going on keto.

Just wondering if anyone on here can attest to that? And maybe share if/when the hair ever became normal again?

When you say the rest f the number came up "pretty much normal", have you reviewed those results yourself? Were any, or many of them borderline?

Personally, the only thing affecting my hair was my thyroid condition, which, for a time did lead to shedding.

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t actually review them myself. To be honest it didn’t even occur to me!

I did ask if anything - including Thyroid - was “close to the edge” and the doc said no. So still pretty confused *sigh*

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I didn't lose my hair, I'm not that careless. It deserted me.