Freestyle Libre Bolus Calculator Options

Matthew007

So my 7 year niece diagnosed with Type 1 6 months ago currently using long acting insulin at night and fast acting insulin before each meal during the day based on the carbs in the meal, blood glucose reading and a correction factor. This is all worked out with an inbuilt calculator in the Accu Chek Aviva Expert via the finger prick test.

The Libre will do the same if you use its finger prick test but not on the basis and of the sensor reading.

If the sensor reading is very close to the blood reading I would like the option of using the sensor reading and thus avoiding finger prick test sometimes. What would be the best way of doing this? Is there a app on a phone that could act as the calculator where you could manually input the glucose reading?

Interested in what others have done here!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to use mySugr which has a bolus calculator bit you do have to enter ALL carb, insulin, and BGs so it can calculate accurately. A bit of an overkill if you are already entering it into the Libre app. I stopped using mySugr recently as I figured my estimates for the carbs and IOB were good enough.

Only thing I miss in the app is a search. Eg how much did I take for those two pints last week? . That's a real oversight IMHO.

Matthew007

Thanks for your reply. That app looks very interesting will try it out.

Interested if anyone uses anything else or why what they use is better than mySugr. Also does the NHS has a preference for dove tailing into their systems?

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi, I’ve used RapidCalc (phone ap) for about 10 years and it does everything you need. It’s not a glucometer though so you need to enter the BG reading, which is the upside of the Libre. Couple of the libre deficiencies for me is that you cannot just calculate a dose (using the calculator) without eating and you should be able to enter ratio’s to 0.1, Libre only accepts 0.5.
David
MDI T1 28 years