Confused

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Hi I have reluctantly decided to try gliclazide as well as metformin due to my bs not coming down in mornings.
Even with low carbs ect
Nurse saying at 80 it puts me at risk.
My confusion is they say gliclazide can make you have hypos and to have carbs.
But surely low carb is better for us.
I need to loose weight.
Can I still stay low carb.
It's soo confusing

mouseee

Because it lowers your blood sugar you do need to be careful to balance out your eating a little differently.
I've never been on it but that's always the advice on here. Im sure someone will be along soon with more specific advice.
So yes, low carb good but be mindful of your blood sugar and use the blood glucose monitor that I think they have to give you when you are on it.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you it's soo confusing I really need to be loosing weight

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yea the main difference is that gliclazide stimulates your pancreas to produce more insulin. So on the one hand the extra insulin helps reduce your blood sugars. The down side is that becuase the drug is forcing to produce more insulin, it doesn't stop if you don't eat carbs. So normally if you have lowish blood sugar, your body stops producing insulin so you level out at maybe 4 or ,5. With the new drug your body is forced to keep producing insulin so it keeps rescing your blood sugars to dangerously low levels. You can end up with a hypo which is very low blood sugar which you have to treat with glucose.

The only way to avoid that is to eat enough carbs to balance out the amount of Extra insulin you are producing to keep your levels low. You can end up on in the same balancing act as before but with higher risk, take in enough carbs to keep your self from getting a hypo but not too much to end up with high sugars.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It sounds so difficult. So can I stick to low carb at all..
Wishing I hadn't agreed to the meds.
Thank you for replys

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Nurse saying at 80 it puts me at risk.

Is this a blood sugar of 80mg/dl? This corresponds to a level of 4.4 mmol/L and is a perfect morning level. What are your actual readings with and without gliclazide.

If you're already on low carb and your levels are too high then the gliclazide should hopefully just reduce them a bit, no need to stop the low carb. But you do need to be aware that the gliclazide could potentially cause hypos and take sugar if it makes you go low. If you find that the gliclazide makes you go hypo you can tell the nurse and they will reduce your dose.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi my sugers are high and have been since Feb march
The 80 refers to the test I have every six months to check my levels
My own at home have been between 8 and 11 when I use test strips.
It's first this in morning when highest at 11
On testing
Have tried everything to lower them.
Have been doing low carb. Changed to almond milk even.
So I can continue on low carb making sure I don't fast like I have done before.
Carry a suger drink sweet and hope

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my sugers are high and have been since Feb march
The 80 refers to the test I have every six months to check my levels
My own at home have been between 8 and 11 when I use test strips.
It's first this in morning when highest at 11
On testing
Have tried everything to lower them.
Have been doing low carb. Changed to almond milk even.
So I can continue on low carb making sure I don't fast like I have done before.
Carry a suger drink sweet and hope
Can you list everything you eat or drink in a day? I know it's a little tedious, but maybe, just maybe, you're eating more carbs than you think. If you're extremely low carb and your HbA1c is still 80, further testing (GAD and C-peptide tests) may be needed. So best to go to over everything with a fine tooth comb with you.

I did low carb with gliclazide, and I hypo'd regularly. So keep jellybabies or dextro energy tabs handy, as well as your meter. And if the glic scares you, you might want to explore the low carbing a bit further first. But let's not put the cart before the horse, let us know exactly what you're eating/drinking, including brand names if possible, so we might see how we can help.

All is not lost just yet, and it does get less confusing.

Hugs,
Jo

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello thank you for reply.
Yesterday I ate.

Full greek yogurt from asda with crushed almonds for breakfast

Lunch was celery with farm cottage cheese
Salad cucumber Tom spring onions and boiled egg. After work.

Tea.
Buternut squash jkt sml. Butter on. lurpac
Cottage cheese 3 table spoons farm make 3.2 carbs per 100g and salad with two slices beetroot.

Today is..
Bacon and poached egg
Lettuce and tinned Salmon cups with
Salad.
Tonight is family night so
Steak onions and salad with mushrooms spread with 1tsp Tom purea asda own.
Cheese on and grilled as pizza..

I drink lots coffee with almond milk suger free.
Alpro one.
And soda water with slices lime lemon or just water..

Tomorrow is.
Omelette made with cheese Tom.

Lunch is roast dinner with roast pork.
I have mashed swede instead potatoes
We are haveing cabbage and broccoli.
My cheat some gravy.
Bisto made with meat veg juice.

I work in school kitchen so very much love to cook.
I just want to loose weight and get under control.
Thank you any one reading.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can you list everything you eat or drink in a day? I know it's a little tedious, but maybe, just maybe, you're eating more carbs than you think. If you're extremely low carb and your HbA1c is still 80, further testing (GAD and C-peptide tests) may be needed. So best to go to over everything with a fine tooth comb with you.

I did low carb with gliclazide, and I hypo'd regularly. So keep jellybabies or dextro energy tabs handy, as well as your meter. And if the glic scares you, you might want to explore the low carbing a bit further first. But let's not put the cart before the horse, let us know exactly what you're eating/drinking, including brand names if possible, so we might see how we can help.

All is not lost just yet, and it does get less confusing.

Hugs,
Jo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds so difficult. So can I stick to low carb at all..
Wishing I hadn't agreed to the meds.
Thank you for replys
Some of us need meds. It’s not anything to feel bad about. Whilst low carb works for many, and is improving mine, long term high blood levels are very dangerous to your body and sometimes we need help before we get back on track. I’m still on all mine and it’s okay

sometimes we need drugs or insulin no matter how well we do. it’s good you are finding out what will help you. But 80 readings at hba1c are not good and hopefully the lowering of carbs will help

good luck!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello thank you for reply.
Yesterday I ate.

Full greek yogurt from asda with crushed almonds for breakfast

Lunch was celery with farm cottage cheese
Salad cucumber Tom spring onions and boiled egg. After work.

Tea.
Buternut squash jkt sml. Butter on. lurpac
Cottage cheese 3 table spoons farm make 3.2 carbs per 100g and salad with two slices beetroot.

Today is..
Bacon and poached egg
Lettuce and tinned Salmon cups with
Salad.
Tonight is family night so
Steak onions and salad with mushrooms spread with 1tsp Tom purea asda own.
Cheese on and grilled as pizza..

I drink lots coffee with almond milk suger free.
Alpro one.
And soda water with slices lime lemon or just water..

Tomorrow is.
Omelette made with cheese Tom.

Lunch is roast dinner with roast pork.
I have mashed swede instead potatoes
We are haveing cabbage and broccoli.
My cheat some gravy.
Bisto made with meat veg juice.

I work in school kitchen so very much love to cook.
I just want to loose weight and get under control.
Thank you any one reading.
At first glance I don't really see anything glaringly problematic in there. I think it may be time to get back to your doc and ask for those tests I mentioned (C-peptide and GAD), see what's up with those readings. Andy's right, there's no shame in needing medication, but.... You want to be absolutely sure you got the right diagnosis first. If they're treating you for Type 2 and you might be LADA, well... You need to know.

Gliclazide wrings extra insulin out of the pancreas, but it won't do much of anything if your pancreas isn't putting out much to begin with. So you want to know how it's faring. I know it's hard to get tests done thanks to Covid-19, but... I really think you should pursue this. Not just because your weight troubles you, but a misdiagnosis can be very, very dangerous. Just keep an eye on your levels, and get in touch with the practice on Monday.

Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: mrs gimli

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for reply I have been type 2 for over 6 years so I'm assuming they got it right :-0
But I shall ring Monday and speak to them appreciate all the help I really do..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for reply I have been type 2 for over 6 years so I'm assuming they got it right :-0
But I shall ring Monday and speak to them appreciate all the help I really do..
You'd be surprised how many people on here walked around being misdiagnosed and mis-treated for years. Six, and even longer. So it really is best to make sure. Practices tend to blame high blood sugars on patients because they "have to" be sneaking high carb foods and binging, lying about it out of shame or denial or whatever. But you know what you're eating, and that doesn't correspond with a HbA1c of 80. So something is off somewhere, and you need to know what it might be. Be a dog with a bone on this.

I hope it'll all become a little clearer soon!
Hugs,
Jo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be surprised how many people on here walked around being misdiagnosed and mis-treated for years. Six, and even longer. So it really is best to make sure. Practices tend to blame high blood sugars on patients because they "have to" be sneaking high carb foods and binging, lying about it out of shame or denial or whatever. But you know what you're eating, and that doesn't correspond with a HbA1c of 80. So something is off somewhere, and you need to know what it might be. Be a dog with a bone on this.

I hope it'll all become a little clearer soon!
Hugs,
Jo
For info, my bloods were 78 and they added daploflaglozin. I then went onto low carb and in 3 months my hba1c was 46. The foods mentioned are looking low carb and it didn’t take too long for the improvements but it will take time.

get a blood meter, measure and hopefully you will see the results. But getting the tests are important too in case of misdiagnosis

do you know what your levels were historically? Maybe you can see the results on online nhs? It might be that the pills worked and like me it’s progressively got worse but I am proof that it can be improved. But we are all different

what was your food eating like prior to this low carb journey and how long have you been eating food like you mention?

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My sugers were 60 in January and increases from 49.
I made changes then covid and no going to work began I know I was not as strict as I should of been and accept this as my own failing.
In June I went back into low carb then I was tested at beginning August and the were 80.
Ive took meds cut down and outed carbs.
I shall continue.
Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. From what you say, your highest priority is to reduce your excess weight and not match the carbs to your meds as that's never a good idea in principle. This means reducing the carbs in your diet. You can get 40mg Gliclazide tablets if you find 80mg is too high and causing hypos. If Gliclazide does cause hypos it implies you are T2 with working beta cells. I was on 320mg Gliclazide for a year or two with no effect or hypos before insulin which was a pointer to me being T1. Note that many NHS nurses are not fully aware of the latest diet advice so take account of that in your discussions. I'm lucky as my DN is excellent.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you it is 40mg they have put me on.
I shall stay low carb and reduce amount on portion size ect while ensuring I eat regularly.
Will make an appointment once its possible to get face to face

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you it is 40mg they have put me on.
I shall stay low carb and reduce amount on portion size ect while ensuring I eat regularly.
Will make an appointment once its possible to get face to face
They hopefully can do bloods and remote appointments. It’s what I had in the last month. It sounds like you are making changes now. Hopefully they will help and your bloods will head back to where they are better

knowing you need to make changes and implementing them is sometimes the hard part so good luck on your journey. Being on here and getting the support and advice has helped me a lot so can do for you too