At last I am the Metabolism Boss...

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I have had diabetes for five years. I knew that I had diabetes when a urine test came back positive for glucose, but what I wasn't prepared for was an HbA1c of 108. I was overweight at 10st 4lb and 5ft 2 ins tall, but not obese. That was when my diabetes journey started, first with the NHS guidelines for eating, which I rejected almost immediately. Then Atkins, which helped me lose weight whilst getting between me and the terrible hunger that I had all the time. Then came Dr Bernstein and then Diabetes Co.UK. I learned what a TOFI was and lost six inches off of my waist.

So now I am on a high fat low carb diet, modified with lots of leafy greens (I am older and need to keeep the calories down). I do lots of exercise and fast for 36 hours twice a week. My Hb A1c is now 40. I know that this is only just in the normal range, but I feel that it is a real achievement that I have really had to struggle for.

I know that I have only fought the diabetes to a standstill, and that if I don't keep doing what I'm doing it will pounce on me like a tiger. However, the great thing is I have got used to this lifestyle and the diabetes is fading into the background. My message is don't give up, it is worth trying different things until you hit on a personal control regime that gives you optimum results, however long it takes.

Reactions: Rachel_H and MrsA2

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Metabolism_Boss , Well done! I especially like the fact that you kept on trying until you found the correct reigime for your own personal circumstances. What works for others won’t always be the way for oneself. It is easy to get disheartened, but perseverence pays off in the end.

Reactions: Metabolism_Boss

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good on you, always a very satisfying experience when you get great results and know the way forward. Just gotta stay on the path of success. Congrats!

Reactions: Metabolism_Boss

Jeannie111

I have had diabetes for five years. I knew that I had diabetes when a urine test came back positive for glucose, but what I wasn't prepared for was an HbA1c of 108. I was overweight at 10st 4lb and 5ft 2 ins tall, but not obese. That was when my diabetes journey started, first with the NHS guidelines for eating, which I rejected almost immediately. Then Atkins, which helped me lose weight whilst getting between me and the terrible hunger that I had all the time. Then came Dr Bernstein and then Diabetes Co.UK. I learned what a TOFI was and lost six inches off of my waist.

So now I am on a high fat low carb diet, modified with lots of leafy greens (I am older and need to keeep the calories down). I do lots of exercise and fast for 36 hours twice a week. My Hb A1c is now 40. I know that this is only just in the normal range, but I feel that it is a real achievement that I have really had to struggle for.

I know that I have only fought the diabetes to a standstill, and that if I don't keep doing what I'm doing it will pounce on me like a tiger. However, the great thing is I have got used to this lifestyle and the diabetes is fading into the background. My message is don't give up, it is worth trying different things until you hit on a personal control regime that gives you optimum results, however long it takes.
That is fantastic!!
Please help, I exercise a lot too but cannot shift this belly!
Thinking of trying the keto diet, what did you eat daily to lose so many inches?
Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is fantastic!!
Thinking of trying the keto diet, what did you eat daily to lose so many inches?
Thank you.
Keto should certainly help with shedding the pounds and is usually far more effective than exercise.
The "you can't outrun a bad diet" maxim is pretty true.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is fantastic!!
Thank you.
This site has lots of keto ideas. Because of my age, I tend to eat "keto light" which means I fill up on cabbage, kale, broccoli etc. I eat fish, especially oily fish such as mackerel and have kippers or smoked haddock for breakfast. I make breads based on almond flour, coconut flour and golden flax seed and chia. I tend to avoid desserts but I do make ice cream from single and double cream and egg yolks - but I freeze it into individual portions to avoid over eating. Nuts are good fillers, such as walnuts, almonds and hazlenuts, but be careful with these if you want to lose weight. I would suggest looking at an App. to help you control what you are eating, I use MyNetDiary as I can add my blood glucose readings as well. Exercise, especially strength training helps to build muscle that is able to take up glucose. I found this book helpful:
The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training: Your Optimal Exercise Guide to Diabetes Prediabetes Metabolic Syndrome Cholesterol ... Disease, Science based Approach
Shang M.D., William

Good luck, people with middle fat often have a difficult time with reducing blood sugars, but please don't lose heart.

Reactions: KK123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Virtual Winner! I have already ordered the book as like you were, I have a pot belly and would like to lose it - although I had kind of gave up on it happening - again like yourself I am not overweight just have pot belly so I guess it is some kind of specific exercise I need to lose it so welcome any help in trying to achieve a flat tummy.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfortunately middle fat is usually around the organs, especially around the liver and pancreas. It can be more difficult to shift than subcutaneous fat and in my experience there is a "tipping point", where very little happens to your blood sugar readings even when you are sucessfully losing weight, until you reach a certain weight and then there are dramatic improvements. I find that I have to keep within 2-3 pounds of my optimum weight or my blood sugar rises again. I would really recommend trying a keto based diet for weight loss. You may find that your blood sugar will rise if you undertake vigorous exercise, but again, that seems to suddenly improve. The book has a very good explanation of what happens as you build muscle. The bonus of course is that you can impress people in Homebase car park when you load bags of compost into the back of your car one after the other with no effort at all!

Reactions: Ceppo