Something to jazz up cold meat

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Facing a plateful of cold roast chicken can be a bit meh....

Mix together 5g of 'Blue Dragon Original Sweet Chilli Sauce', 5g of soy sauce (I used Kikkoman), 5g Sesame seed oil, or olive oil. Mix all together and toss over the chicken to give the meat loads of flavour (all under 3 g of carbs)

The 'inspiration' came to me on Saturday when I used the concoction to fry slices of pre-cooked belly pork. It gave a lovely dark glace to the pork.

Doesn't matter how much chicken you put on your plate, the dish will still be under 3g of carb.

Reactions: Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue dragon also do a light sweet chilli for 33g/100g carbs rather than the 49g in the regular. Oddly their reduced sugar version is higher than the light at 38g.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue dragon also do a light sweet chilli for 33g/100g carbs rather than the 49g in the regular. Oddly their reduced sugar version is higher than the light at 38g.

Thank you, didn't think of looking for a 'light' one. Always thought reduced sugar was a light version. Well I live and learn :)

Light version now entered on my shopping list! Thans HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, didn't think of looking for a 'light' one. Always thought reduced sugar was a light version. Well I live and learn :)

Light version now entered on my shopping list! Thans HSSS
You’re welcome. Til I checked tonight I always assumed the reduced sugar was best.

Newlysweet

I saw a recipe for ‘chow chow’ (a pickle made from assorted above-ground vegetables ) in a weekend paper, then google found a low sugar version using erythritol instead of sugar but with a completely different method. So I hybridised the two, and I love it - tangy, crunchy, I have a spoonful with all sorts of savoury things. It’s a little bit of work to make, and needs a number of spices etc, but I made 3 large jars & it will keep for a while. I’ll type out the method if anyone’s interested!!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and HSSS

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a recipe for ‘chow chow’ (a pickle made from assorted above-ground vegetables ) in a weekend paper, then google found a low sugar version using erythritol instead of sugar but with a completely different method. So I hybridised the two, and I love it - tangy, crunchy, I have a spoonful with all sorts of savoury things. It’s a little bit of work to make, and needs a number of spices etc, but I made 3 large jars & it will keep for a while. I’ll type out the method if anyone’s interested!!

Oh yes please..... thank you!

Newlysweet

Oh yes please..... thank you!

Here it is!

Make a brine with 150g rock salt and 1.5L water, dissolve salt well
Finely chop (think piccalilli size veg) 1.5kg of veg - 2-300g each green tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, red/green peppers, mooli (daikon), onion.
Immerse the veg in the brine overnight - use a plate to press down, give them a bit of a squeeze.

When ready to start, drain and rinse the salted veg well.

Get jars ready - old large pickle jars are good - wash, rinse, dry in warm oven, leave to cool

Make pickling liquid - 250g erythritol, 375 ml white vinegar (some recipes say apple/wine vinegar, I used pickling vinegar which worked fine), 200ml water, 1 tsp each coriander seed, whole allspice, black peppercorns, whole cloves, cumin or caraway seeds, 2 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp turmeric. Stir it all together on a low heat in a big pan, add the rinsed & drained veg, simmer uncovered for 20-30 mins - till veg a bit soft and liquid almost gone. Leave to cool to slightly warm, decant into jars.

It’s supposed to keep but I don’t think mine will last that long... I do pick out the cloves/allspice when I eat it, but the other spices don’t bother me!

I got erythritol (powdered, not granular form) online - it makes a yummy keto chocolate brownie....

Good luck!

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! That recipe sounds great. At times I've eaten more veg (and carbs) than I should because it was near to going off (hate wasting food), which is daft really. Recipe looks to be a money saver using up excess veg, and relatively easy to do and adjust.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that pickled veg should be a staple food in out diets. They're good for us.

Newlysweet

My next challenge is to make some kimchi - that’s a fermented pickle, like sauerkraut but with a Korean spice in it, and (optionally) fish sauce, which I love!

Reactions: JenniferM55