Home HBa1c test kits - any good?

Sal260

I was diagnosed back in early March with type 2 Diabetes. Fasting BG 19.7. HBa1C. 109 prescribed 500 SR metformin once a day.

Following lowish carb 90g have lost 4.5 stones and at my follow up blood test at the end of June had reduced my HBA1c down to 50. My DN very happy and said to arrange for my next test just before Christmas.

The thing is it seems such a long tine to wait and I feel in limbo and really want to know if my numbers had continued to fall and what tweeks to make

Has anyone used the home kits at all? Happy to take the £39 hit if they are accurate and can find out at the end of this month where I am

Reactions: ianpspurs

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I was diagnosed back in early March with type 2 Diabetes. Fasting BG 19.7. HBa1C. 109 prescribed 500 SR metformin once a day.

Following lowish carb 90g have lost 4.5 stones and at my follow up blood test at the end of June had reduced my HBA1c down to 50. My DN very happy and said to arrange for my next test just before Christmas.

The thing is it seems such a long tine to wait and I feel in limbo and really want to know if my numbers had continued to fall and what tweeks to make

Has anyone used the home kits at all? Happy to take the £39 hit if they are accurate and can find out at the end of this month where I am
Congratulations on this good fall in your HbA1C level. I cannot comment on the efficacy of the home testing kits, but remember that the interval of blood cell replacement is approximately every three months and testing more frequently would result in a mixture of previously glycated cells plus the (hopefully) less glycated more recent cells. I don't think that this would tell you much. Also I should think that the home test kit would use a pinprick blood test and not a blood draw. This lack of blood volume will also reduce the accuracy of the test.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read mixed reports. I read of one person who used them both the same day, with wildly different results.

You could try one of the companies that offer this service you would have to get someone to draw blood.

Reactions: Sal260

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always hit the same issue with any kind of home blood testing: I'm expected to fill a vial with blood, when I'm doing well to get a bead on my finger big enough to get onto a test strip for my meter. Warm my hands. Massage them. Lie down. Use all of the supplied lancets (they usually give you 3) and none of it works. I end up making a bloody mess of the top of the sample container, but not actually getting a single drop of liquid into the bottom of it. Short of deliberately slicing myself with a kitchen knife, I don't think I ever will.

So before even contemplating ordering such a kit, I'd do a dummy run and make sure I can actually fill a small pot with 10ml of blood or so, if I were you. If you can't, and (like me) need someone to actually stick a needle into a vein to get a sample, then you're probably wasting your money.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sal260 Are you monitoring your daily bg using finger prick tests? That can be a good way of having an idea how you are going while waiting for the nhs.
(I was told to wait a year! but my own testing tells me I'm within range over 90%of the time)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always hit the same issue with any kind of home blood testing: I'm expected to fill a vial with blood, when I'm doing well to get a bead on my finger big enough to get onto a test strip for my meter. Warm my hands. Massage them. Lie down. Use all of the supplied lancets (they usually give you 3) and none of it works. I end up making a bloody mess of the top of the sample container, but not actually getting a single drop of liquid into the bottom of it. Short of deliberately slicing myself with a kitchen knife, I don't think I ever will.

So before even contemplating ordering such a kit, I'd do a dummy run and make sure I can actually fill a small pot with 10ml of blood or so, if I were you. If you can't, and (like me) need someone to actually stick a needle into a vein to get a sample, then you're probably wasting your money.

Gosh, Nicole - I have used home testing for HbA1c, and also used a self-collection service for lab based blood tests, and have never needed to provide anything close to 10ml. I usually bleed quite well, although like you, my kitchen looks like there's been at least one axe murder.

@Sal260 - I have used the A1c Now, several times and found the results to be +/-0.1% the same. I have been delighted with that. There are several selling the kits online, but prices vary - sometimes dramatically, so it's worthwhile have a good look. The A1cNow test is done in your own home, using a very clever sort of meter, which they provide.

I have used the provider in this link: https://home.bhr.co.uk/a1cnowr-self-check-4-test-pack-cardiochek and also Miller Medical. Both were very competitive, depending on how many tests you want to buy.

Alternatively, there are providers where you send your sample off, thy test it in their lab and email you the results. To be fair, I haven't used any of them for an HbA1c test, but I have used a couple for thyroid testing.

MonitorMyhealth, whom I have used several times, are very easy and pleasant to deal with, and they use the NHS Exeter labs, in the quiet times, so you can be reassured of their systems and processes.

https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I used the a1cNow once, and it seemed optimistic compared to my surgery HbA1c test.
I think that I followed the instructions correctly but there was some lingering doubt.
First time use is always a bit tricky.
So can't confirm that it is accurate, nor fully deny.

Edit:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-secondary-medication.164563/#post-2057600
Went back and found one of my posts.
Includes the words:
"I had a scary HbA1c of 7.2% at my last test which is roughly equivalent to an average BG reading of 8.9 mmol/L.
This was compounded by my having done an A1CNow test on the same day as the blood test with a result of 6.1%. So I was shocked."
Best way to validate such a test is to do what I did - test on the same day you have a blood draw for the surgery test.
In my case my one and only home test wasn't accurate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used the a1cNow once, and it seemed optimistic compared to my surgery HbA1c test.
I think that I followed the instructions correctly but there was some lingering doubt.

Edit:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...and-secondary-medication.164563/#post-2057600
Includes the words:
"I had a scary HbA1c of 7.2% at my last test which is roughly equivalent to an average BG reading of 8.9 mmol/L.
This was compounded by my having done an A1CNow test on the same day as the blood test with a result of 6.1%. So I was shocked."
Best way to validate such a test is to do what I did - test on the same day you have a blood draw for the surgery test.

Because, for a period I was buying tests in batches of 10, I always shadowed my lab tests. My +/-0.1% still applied.

My finger prick and Libre readings never, ever come close to my lab tests, but the A1cNow test was ultra close for me.

Just goes to show, yet again that one size will rarely fit all.

Sal260

@Sal260 Are you monitoring your daily bg using finger prick tests? That can be a good way of having an idea how you are going while waiting for the nhs.
(I was told to wait a year! but my own testing tells me I'm within range over 90%of the time)

Hi!

I tested very regularly initially, I was lucky in that my DN gave me a monitor at my first visit to test before and 2 hours after on 2 meals a day. I was able to find out what spikes me and what doesn’t. After my second test she said not to do it any more but I still do if I have a new meal or regularly for the first week of every month

Sal260

Congratulations on this good fall in your HbA1C level. I cannot comment on the efficacy of the home testing kits, but remember that the interval of blood cell replacement is approximately every three months and testing more frequently would result in a mixture of previously glycated cells plus the (hopefully) less glycated more recent cells. I don't think that this would tell you much. Also I should think that the home test kit would use a pinprick blood test and not a blood draw. This lack of blood volume will also reduce the accuracy of the test.

I was wondering about the volume of blood thing. I’m hoping it will be an improving situation as would love to get down to the normal range.
Was thinking about maybe doing at the end of September which would be 3 months since the June one. Leaving it til Christmas would be 6 months.

Sal260

I have rubbish veins too and don’t give blood up easily The ones I’ve looked at only seen to need a finger prick tho so there may be hope for me yet

Sal260

Gosh, Nicole - I have used home testing for HbA1c, and also used a self-collection service for lab based blood tests, and have never needed to provide anything close to 10ml. I usually bleed quite well, although like you, my kitchen looks like there's been at least one axe murder.

@Sal260 - I have used the A1c Now, several times and found the results to be +/-0.1% the same. I have been delighted with that. There are several selling the kits online, but prices vary - sometimes dramatically, so it's worthwhile have a good look. The A1cNow test is done in your own home, using a very clever sort of meter, which they provide.

I have used the provider in this link: https://home.bhr.co.uk/a1cnowr-self-check-4-test-pack-cardiochek and also Miller Medical. Both were very competitive, depending on how many tests you want to buy.

Alternatively, there are providers where you send your sample off, thy test it in their lab and email you the results. To be fair, I haven't used any of them for an HbA1c test, but I have used a couple for thyroid testing.

MonitorMyhealth, whom I have used several times, are very easy and pleasant to deal with, and they use the NHS Exeter labs, in the quiet times, so you can be reassured of their systems and processes.

Thanks will look into the A1cNow. It sounds like what am looking for.

Sal260

Edit:
Includes the words:

Thanks will bear that in mind. I’m would be using it to get a ball park interim figure at first so I can get an HbA1c value every 3 months in my first year. Hoping it will be lower again but need to know either way. Feel like I know more what am doing diet wise and BS readings vary between 5.8 and 7 these days. Can see me validating the test going forward though when I can with my NHS one

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks will look into the A1cNow. It sounds like what am looking for.

When I was going through a period of experimentation, I would do one test a month, so buying the 10-pack (I don't think BHR sell that variant to the public any more, but I think Miller do), isn't as bonkers as it sounds.

Enjoy!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was going through a period of experimentation, I would do one test a month, so buying the 10-pack (I don't think BHR sell that variant to the public any more, but I think Miller do), isn't as bonkers as it sounds.

Enjoy!

How reliable did you find them? Not in terms of accuracy vs lab HbA1c but as in getting a result at all? Have heard about some failures but not sure whether that is with the linked brand.

I did see the 10 pack (and a 20) on the Miller website.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My experience is with postal HIV screening. Maybe they need a larger sample for that. I'm also going from memory (it's been at least 3 months since I did one of these - they're back to doing in clinic testing now) so I may have misremembered the sample size.

The issue remains that I can't get any liquid whatsoever down to the bottom of the collection tube. I only seem able to make a bloody mess around the neck of the tube.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How reliable did you find them? Not in terms of accuracy vs lab HbA1c but as in getting a result at all? Have heard about some failures but not sure whether that is with the linked brand.

I did see the 10 pack (and a 20) on the Miller website.

I have only ever had one not return a result, and whilst I can't recall what I did, it was entirely my own fault. I wasn't chuffed at the time, as I had already done loads.

I haven't used them for a while (although looking them up again yesterday, did reawaken my curiosity).

If you (or anyone else) does order, they arrive, well packed, with ice blocks in the packaging, to keep them cool, which helps with longevity, so best to be in. The tracking info has always been good from either of those suppliers I have used.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is with postal HIV screening. Maybe they need a larger sample for that. I'm also going from memory (it's been at least 3 months since I did one of these - they're back to doing in clinic testing now) so I may have misremembered the sample size.

The issue remains that I can't get any liquid whatsoever down to the bottom of the collection tube. I only seem able to make a bloody mess around the neck of the tube.

I must say, my last self-bleed was my easiest ever, by a long way, but I do empathise with the challenge.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever had one not return a result, and whilst I can't recall what I did, it was entirely my own fault. I wasn't chuffed at the time, as I had already done loads.

I haven't used them for a while (although looking them up again yesterday, did reawaken my curiosity).

If you (or anyone else) does order, they arrive, well packed, with ice blocks in the packaging, to keep them cool, which helps with longevity, so best to be in. The tracking info has always been good from either of those suppliers I have used.

Thanks for that. Considering a 4 pack - 10 is tempting as cheaper per test, but not sure I’ll be wanting to test over a long period.

Shalroth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Useless people, intolerance, Anxiety

I was looking at the A1CNow kit, which is currently GBP55, but it only comes with 4 test cartridges, which are married to the test hardware, and if you want to do more testing you have to buy a new kit and throw the hardware away?! This seems really wasteful and bad or the environment, so I shan't be partaking, I'll just keep going to GP every few months.

(First post BTW)