K-eto Life Bread

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see you had to make an executive decision as well for what to put on it - I must be a greedy pig I had 2 wooo hooo :hungry:
You managed to eat two??????? Omg I was stuffed after one lol ....fill your boots girl :)

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking forward to your report. I was surprised about the kneading. Normal bread requires kneading to extract the gluten from the flour but it is already extracted. The rolls I make are vital wheat gluten based and I don't really knead them at all.

It doesn't extract it as such, just develops it so its molecules get 'stringy' and can better hold the gas bubbles the yeast creates.

I found no difference leaving out the xanthan gum.

Today's experiment was trying to make a banana bread I can eat. Used erythritol instead of sugar, equal parts of flax seed and coconut flour instead of white flour, and coconut oil instead of butter. (though that makes no carb difference, I just had some to use up and no butter).

I added 10g of psyllium husk too as fibre is always good and a tsp of xanthan gum as there's no gluten. It's very crumbly but pretty delicious

Normal version 46g carbs / 100g
This one 9.3g / 100g

Looks like it worked as the (small) spike to 6.5 after my cauliflower lunch carried on falling to 5.7 and hasn't been affected by then eating 50g of the cake when checked at 1 and 2 hour points.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_164150_475.jpg
    IMG_20200905_164150_475.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 277

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You goooo girl hahahaha
Yes, well ... I have found alternatives for most things now especially now I can add rolls and bread/toast back on the DO list. I do luv my food :hungry::happy: so, eh may be I won't lose the weight then and may be why I can't get rid of the wee pot belly! May I ask have you still lost the 10lbs?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well ... I have found alternatives for most things now especially now I can add rolls and bread/toast back on the DO list. I do luv my food :hungry::happy: so, eh may be I won't lose the weight then and may be why I can't get rid of the wee pot belly! May I ask have you still lost the 10lbs?
I am struggling to put weight on and keep it on....went down to 8st 12....way too low for me...since eating the bread I don't snack anymore so its hard to keep weight on....I just keep losing it! All my clothes are hanging off me round my waist....down to 28 inch now...haven't been that since I was at school a longgg time ago lol My donut tummy has all but gone since eating the bread...that's where I carry my weight if theres any excess....its disappearing by the day...flat as a pancake now :)

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling to put weight on and keep it on....went down to 8st 12....way too low for me...since eating the bread I don't snack anymore so its hard to keep weight on....I just keep losing it! All my clothes are hanging off me round my waist....down to 28 inch now...haven't been that since I was at school a longgg time ago lol My donut tummy has all but gone since eating the bread...that's where I carry my weight if theres any excess....its disappearing by the day...flat as a pancake now :)
That's my aim 8st 13 would be fab - just over half a stone for me to lose - last year I was 9st 2 and had a flat tummy - I found when I upped my fats (cream in particular) the weight started creeping up so the last couple of weeks I have cut back and have lost 2/3 lbs. A big well done to you on losing the weight - your weight is what I am aiming for as I do feel overweight at the moment although I know I am not just could be doing with losing about 7lbs to feel a bit better and gosh I was 5 stones heavier at one point. Well done you!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's my aim 8st 13 would be fab - just over half a stone for me to lose - last year I was 9st 2 and had a flat tummy - I found when I upped my fats (cream in particular) the weight started creeping up so the last couple of weeks I have cut back and have lost 2/3 lbs. A big well done to you on losing the weight - your weight is what I am aiming for as I do feel overweight at the moment although I know I am not just could be doing with losing about 7lbs to feel a bit better and gosh I was 5 stones heavier at one point. Well done you!
I don't worry too much about my weight unless it goes down too much. I used to eat the higher fat and lost over 2 stone and got yelled at by the practice nurse for being too skinny and for eating too much fat as my cholesterol is too high. For that reason I just eat higher protein and very low carb which held my weight steady but since eating this bread I find I snack so much less so I think that is why I have lost weight. You are hardly overweight so don't be stressing about a few pounds. Enjoying your food has to be important too. I haven't had my bloods checked in over a year cos of Covid so will be interesting to see how they come up when I do get them done. Flu jab on Tuesday comes first....then waiting on them to say when I can have blood checks done. Until then ....its toast....and avocado...and bacon...and buns ....and and and lol

Reactions: Mrs T 123

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m late to the party here I know but just to add my twopen’orth I tried this bread and had a bacon sandwich on Saturday. It was heavenly!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m late to the party here I know but just to add my twopen’orth I tried this bread and had a bacon sandwich on Saturday. It was heavenly!
Welcome to the party.....now get some of the rolls and then you will know what a party REALLY is!!! :D

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the party.....now get some of the rolls and then you will know what a party REALLY is!!! :D

It was a toss up between the two this time- as soon as I have freezer space I’ll get the rolls though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Gezzabelle

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always made my own bread (until diagnosis in March) and find the "dough" fairly easy to use to make any shape needed. The main difference is that you don't get a taut skin, but it holds itself together well during proving so that's not much of an issue.

25g Psyllium Husk
70g Flaxseed Meal
190g Vital Wheat Gluten
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum

Mix those dried ingredients.

Dissolve:
8g Instant Yeast
1 tsp Honey

in 250ml tepid water

Add to mix along with
2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
30g softened Butter

Knead for a good 10 mins.

Shape, or put in a greased tin.
Let rise in a warm damp place for up to 2 hours until doubled.

Bake c. 40 mins.

I tried this recipe with some small changes and it worked very well.
I didn't use Xanthan Gum as @mymuk agreed it wasn't necessary.
I used 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil instead of the Butter.
I kneaded for just long enough to bring the dough into shape (1 min ?)
I divided the dough into 6 rolls.
Proved for 60 mins
Baked at 200C for 25 mins.

Rolls.jpg
Roll Cut.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm disappointed - I ordered three loaves of the bread and a pack of rolls at the beginning of this week and received an email telling me they would be despatched on Wednesday or Thursday - then didn't hear anything further. I emailed to ask when they would be sent and got a reply saying they hope it will be the beginning of next week.

i don't know about the product but the customer service isn't particularly impressive.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I tried this recipe with some small changes and it worked very well.
I didn't use Xanthan Gum as @mymuk agreed it wasn't necessary.
I used 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil instead of the Butter.
I kneaded for just long enough to bring the dough into shape (1 min ?)
I divided the dough into 6 rolls.
Proved for 60 mins
Baked at 200C for 25 mins.

View attachment 43899 View attachment 43900

Wow! They look amazing! Do they taste as nice as they look?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! They look amazing! Do they taste as nice as they look?
@mymuk described his loaf version as like wholemeal brioche which seems a good description to me. I will certainly make some more as soon as I have finished this batch.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm disappointed - I ordered three loaves of the bread and a pack of rolls at the beginning of this week and received an email telling me they would be despatched on Wednesday or Thursday - then didn't hear anything further. I emailed to ask when they would be sent and got a reply saying they hope it will be the beginning of next week.

i don't know about the product but the customer service isn't particularly impressive.
Strange....I order the bread from Amazon and it always arrives within a couple of days. I have seen others complaining though. They don't do the rolls on Amazon yet but I have ordered those from the link given previously and they also arrived quickly.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Strange....I order the bread from Amazon and it always arrives within a couple of days. I have seen others complaining though. They don't do the rolls on Amazon yet but I have ordered those from the link given previously and they also arrived quickly.

Maybe thats because Amazon buyers can give feedback which is visible to anyone.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe thats because Amazon buyers can give feedback which is visible to anyone.
Possibly...I don't leave any on Amazon but I was only too happy to post on the Facebook page that my bread arrives squashed beyond recognition!!! and advised them how to pack it lol

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I was the same @Chook they said it would be despatched Wed/Thurs so I waited for it from Thursday, when it never arrived Friday I e-mailed them and they said it had been despatched and if I never received on Mon to get back in touch with them luckily it arrived on the Saturday morning and I was glad. So mine took about a week from ordering to delivery. Waiting on some more looks like it is probably going to be around a week again but it is worth the wait - Enjoy - when it arrives!

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I really am not at all impressed with these people. My order still hasn't arrived and I emailed asking for an estimated delivery date - and got an email back saying my order has been cancelled! What rubbish customer service.