Type 2 & IBS

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
Does any one juggle Type 2 and IBS?
I'm struggling with extreme bowel issues and trying to follow a low carb diet for my Type 2.
Hba1c was up after lockdown and the death of my mother, so horrible Diabetes Nurse wanted me on Metformin and Gliclazide, though didn't explain properly. (Gastro consultant had swapped me to Gliclazide to see if Metformin was making my problems worse)
I'm doing low carb , but actually frightened to eat as I'm so bloated and in pain. Last Wednesday I had chronic diarrhoea, but not passed anything since, despite taking Laxido. Was sent to hospital on Thursday by my GP, but bloods didn't show anything (they suspected a flare up of Diverticular)
How do I juggle a diet that is right for both IBS, Diverticular and Type 2?
I am keeping a Food Diary, but can't identify any triggers
I have an appointment to see a Dietician on 25th, (postponed because of Covid) but what do I eat in the meantime?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got IBS - D and find that the low carb healthy fat has actually improved my symptoms, to have that and diverticulitis must be horrendous, what works for one, make the other worse. My main trigger these days are girly hormones. Sending you a virtual hug

Reactions: learning2me

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got IBS - D and find that the low carb healthy fat has actually improved my symptoms, to have that and diverticulitis must be horrendous, what works for one, make the other worse. My main trigger these days are girly hormones. Sending you a virtual hug

Thank you for your reply. It is horrendous. I look and feel nine months pregnant, and despite eating very little, and no carbs, I'm actually gaining weight. Can't bear any clothes on, so housebound until something 'moves'

BTW, can I ask how you get your IBS diagnosis? I'm being told it must be that as we've ruled out other things. Not very satisfactory.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
learning2me Hi I have Diverticulitis was diagnosed last December I have a stomach as though i'm 9 mths pregnant (at 72) they call it bloating because of the condition and it never goes down When i first had it i could go to the loo up to 8 times a day sometime my bum was so sore but used sudocream The consultants cant help just tell you to go home and eat more veg but for me i always eat a lot of veg it's because there are no too people the same so i joined the site fo DD / IBS and did a lot of reading and for me as a lot on the site (very helpful people know just what your going through) have the same bloated belly and lots of pain for me if i get a lot of pain especially on the lower left side i just go onto a low fiber diet for about 3-4 dayd but drink up to 3 Ltrs of water a day as this helps a lot then slowly add more items to eat and that way i have found out i cant eat nuts / Bananas/ lettuce / and a few more but i keep a food diary of what i can and can't eat and as i said everyone is different there is a list online of what people with this condition should not eat as it can cause an infection or a flare up Hope you can find out what causes your pain if i can help give me a shout

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
learning2me Hi I have Diverticulitis was diagnosed last December I have a stomach as though i'm 9 mths pregnant (at 72) they call it bloating because of the condition and it never goes down When i first had it i could go to the loo up to 8 times a day sometime my bum was so sore but used sudocream The consultants cant help just tell you to go home and eat more veg but for me i always eat a lot of veg it's because there are no too people the same so i joined the site fo DD / IBS and did a lot of reading and for me as a lot on the site (very helpful people know just what your going through) have the same bloated belly and lots of pain for me if i get a lot of pain especially on the lower left side i just go onto a low fiber diet for about 3-4 dayd but drink up to 3 Ltrs of water a day as this helps a lot then slowly add more items to eat and that way i have found out i cant eat nuts / Bananas/ lettuce / and a few more but i keep a food diary of what i can and can't eat and as i said everyone is different there is a list online of what people with this condition should not eat as it can cause an infection or a flare up Hope you can find out what causes your pain if i can help give me a shout

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply. It is horrendous. I look and feel nine months pregnant, and despite eating very little, and no carbs, I'm actually gaining weight. Can't bear any clothes on, so housebound until something 'moves'

BTW, can I ask how you get your IBS diagnosis? I'm being told it must be that as we've ruled out other things. Not very satisfactory.
That's usually for IBS they test for everything else, if they can't find anything then it's IBS. It's a female thing in my family both my mum and younger sister have it, but the "C" variety and their main trigger is animal fat

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have read everything I can find and tried every suggestion. Lived on nothing but water for 24 hours. Cut everything out and introduced one at a time, but can't find my triggers. I usually eat lots of veg and have cut out some fibres, like wholemeal bread in order to go low carb. I eat porridge or Weetabix, but they put my BS up. Eat a small amount of fruit. The hard part is juggling what is good for both IBS / Diverticulitis / Type 2
Hospital told me to go home and eat normally!
Which site did you join? Please can you give me a link? I'm wary of sites because some people can be quite nasty, telling you that you are doing everything wrong.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's usually for IBS they test for everything else, if they can't find anything then it's IBS. It's a female thing in my family both my mum and younger sister have it, but the "C" variety and their main trigger is animal fat
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between C and D?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between C and D?
Trying to be "polite" my main symptom is diarrhea, very very rarely get bloated and constipated, although I get terrible spasms when I feels like I'm going to pass my own intestines. My Mum and sister it's the other way around

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
Does any one juggle Type 2 and IBS?
I'm struggling with extreme bowel issues and trying to follow a low carb diet for my Type 2.
Hba1c was up after lockdown and the death of my mother, so horrible Diabetes Nurse wanted me on Metformin and Gliclazide, though didn't explain properly. (Gastro consultant had swapped me to Gliclazide to see if Metformin was making my problems worse)
I'm doing low carb , but actually frightened to eat as I'm so bloated and in pain. Last Wednesday I had chronic diarrhoea, but not passed anything since, despite taking Laxido. Was sent to hospital on Thursday by my GP, but bloods didn't show anything (they suspected a flare up of Diverticular)
How do I juggle a diet that is right for both IBS, Diverticular and Type 2?
I am keeping a Food Diary, but can't identify any triggers
I have an appointment to see a Dietician on 25th, (postponed because of Covid) but what do I eat in the meantime?
Triggers for me would be seeds (psyllium, quinoa, flax seed etc), onion, anything cow-milk based... With those cut, my gut's usually fine. Dunno if it helps.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Triggers for me would be seeds (psyllium, quinoa, flax seed etc), onion, anything cow-milk based... With those cut, my gut's usually fine. Dunno if it helps.
Thanks for that. As I'm staying off carbs, I have substituted quinoa, so maybe.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had both IBS and diverticulitis. The former was mostly triggered by stress. Both were helped/resolved by taking milled flaxseed, 1-3 tablespoons a day in yoghurt. It did take a good few days to have an effect but I found them miraculous in simultaneously firming up the loose, and loosening up the firm. Once things are on a more even keel then the amount can be reduced. Its worth trying different amounts and seeing what works for you. Make sure you take extra fluid, for example a glass of water or cup of tea at the same time.
My surgeon told me to use flaxseeds as they are soluble fibre. A lot of wholemeal stuff and added fibre is insoluble fibre which passes straight through or blocks up

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had both IBS and diverticulitis. The former was mostly triggered by stress. Both were helped/resolved by taking milled flaxseed, 1-3 tablespoons a day in yoghurt. It did take a good few days to have an effect but I found them miraculous in simultaneously firming up the loose, and loosening up the firm. Once things are on a more even keel then the amount can be reduced. Its worth trying different amounts and seeing what works for you. Make sure you take extra fluid, for example a glass of water or cup of tea at the same time.
My surgeon told me to use flaxseeds as they are soluble fibre. A lot of wholemeal stuff and added fibre is insoluble fibre which passes straight through or blocks up

That's interesting as lots of sites suggest avoiding seeds, even fruit with seeds. I guess all I can do is try them and see. Hospital suggested Fybagel, but one dose was disastrous. Thanks for passing that on.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting as lots of sites suggest avoiding seeds, even fruit with seeds. I guess all I can do is try them and see. Hospital suggested Fybagel, but one dose was disastrous. Thanks for passing that on.
With IBS it's basically the same as with diabetes; what works for one, is hell for another. Any time my doc gave me supplements to keep my intestines "active", all they got was inflamed. Works miracles for my constipated mum in law though. *shrug*. Experiment and find out where you stand. Right now I'm on a diet with no fibre whatsoever, (all meat and eggs, all the time) and my gut seems grateful.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
have had IBS since I had an Hysterectomy when I was 40 years old...I take movicol or similar sachets to keep the bowels moving

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have spoken to a Senior Partner at my practice this morning and he has asked me to try Fybagel again. The last trial had disastrous and embarrassing consequences. So I will take it twice daily until Thursday and see what happens. Friday I have to travel down the country for a family wedding on Saturday. I know I can take Loperamide, but that blows me up like a balloon and the wind is also embarrassing. Vicious circle as the stress of worrying is making things worse.