Hb1ca reading

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I want to know is hb1ca 74 or 77 too high? What does it mean? As in on average how high my sugar level is? And where it should be? I’m a type 1

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

Yes it's high but then everyone has their own individual targets that your DSN would discuss with you

74 gives an average BG of 11.6 and 77 and average of 12 which is far too high and could lead to long term problems

Ideally to reduce the risk of complications your hba1c should be 48 or below

How long have you been diagnosed? Are you carb counting? What insulins are you using?
xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 I have been a diabetic for 10 years now, I don’t think my levels have ever been lower than this but we are trying. The doctors want to put me on a pump but I find it so uncomfortable. I’m trying to reduce it but let’s see

Reactions: anniehi41

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use novorapid and lantus with metformin , are you also a type 1? xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes as my profile and signature give away lol

I was diagnosed in 2016 and use Novorapid and Tresiba, have they allowed you the chance to try different insulins first to see if that would make a difference?
xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I once tried a blue/green one lol, I think it’s called humalog maybe but that made my sugars go high so I went back to my usual. It sounds like a good shout. What are your levels? And did you ever change insulin and it helped?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My most recent hba1c in january was 41 and the previous 40 but I've been as low as 30 which I don't recommend lol

No I've been on the same insulins for the almost 4 years I've been diagnosed as they work for me
xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow you are so lucky, my hb1ca was 120 6 years ago lol.. but I don’t know why I can’t get it to go down.. I really don’t want to go on pump xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I say Novorapid and Tresiba are the only insulins I've ever used

I'm not lucky, I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 101 in November 2016 and 4 months later it had plummeted to 33, in the December of 2016 I was diagnosed with my first eye related complication, diabetic macular oedema in both eyes which required numerous eylea eye injections, less than 2 years into my diagnosis I developed proliferative retinopathy in both eyes which I had lasering for, all that despite good control isn't lucky at all

I understand, I don't want a pump either even though my consultant approached the subject by asking if I wanted one, he got a straight out no response lol
xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I’m sorry to hear! I personally thought good control means everything is going good. Did they tell you why you had these complications? If you not mind me asking how old are you? xx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of the sudden drop in hba1c, they don't tell you that it can do just as much damage as running high a lot can so when I see others posting asking how to get their hba1c's down quickly it can be upsetting and I always advise against it

I'll be 29 in November
xx

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s crazy how it can harm instead of doing good, hopefully they have a better way to control it soon or cure .. you are few years younger than me. I’m always on the high side and I want to get Botox but I’m so confused.. I pray you feel better and don’t have to see any more complications xx