COVID the real numbers? Not all doom and gloom.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Smear tests start when you're in your 20s.
When should a woman have her first smear test?
When you'll be invited for cervical screening
Age When you're invited
under 25 up to 6 months before you turn 25
25 to 49 every 3 years
50 to 64 every 5 years
65 or older only if 1 of your last 3 tests was abnormal

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bowel cancer test. I will be receiving a test kit in the post very soon. Yes it is age related and I am grateful that we can be tested for potential serious medical conditions.
Ah yes the routine, no symptoms, bowel cancer test, how can I have forgotten that!
For anyone who hasn't done one, they sound a bit disgusting but are actually trivial to do, especially with the latest generation of kit.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I just wish the lot who are running responses to Covid in this country were more reliable: I would value a more accurate figure that told me how many cases there were; I’d be able to judge whether it was ok to do various things like shop in person, see family who work in education, meet with friends.
Of course there’d always be the chance that those of us who are at a higher risk of a severe reaction to Covid would be exposed to people who’d not been tested at the optimum time, so a decent test and trace system would also help.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wish the lot who are running responses to Covid in this country were more reliable: I would value a more accurate figure that told me how many cases there were; I’d be able to judge whether it was ok to do various things like shop in person, see family who work in education, meet with friends.
Of course there’d always be the chance that those of us who are at a higher risk of a severe reaction to Covid would be exposed to people who’d not been tested at the optimum time, so a decent test and trace system would also help.

Have you tried this website? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274.
It shows the results for each local authority

upload_2020-9-7_13-26-24.png

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I look at that website. My problem is that wherever the figures come from they’re dependent upon the available results of tests, so they won’t reflect the real numbers, be they low or high. Asymptomstic, mild, carry on working cos the money’s needed: there are bound to be a fair number with it who won’t have been tested.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I look at that website. My problem is that wherever the figures come from they’re dependent upon the available results of tests, so they won’t reflect the real numbers, be they low or high. Asymptomstic, mild, carry on working cos the money’s needed: there are bound to be a fair number with it who won’t have been tested.

I agree, there will be many thousands with it who haven't been tested, but there is no way anyone in the world can count these people - and as they don't show up anywhere they cannot be included. The ones that test positive will all be counted and included in the figures. It is all we have to go on.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Well said FG x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My area ;

Posted at8:14
Coronavirus: Cases confirmed in Hampshire and Isle of Wight
The latest number of cases of Covid-19 has been confirmed as 7,047 in Hampshire and 433 on the Isle of Wight.

A rise of 24 cases in Hampshire since Saturday. The figure remains the same for the Isle of Wight.

The breakdown of the figures by local authority area is:

Hampshire - 5,456

Southampton - 1,027

Portsmouth - 564

Isle of Wight - 433

The BBC also provides this tool with a breakdown of the latest national coronavirus figures.

The coronavirus, which causes the respiratory disease, known as Covid-19, was first confirmed in the UK at the end of January.

Data as of Sunday 6 September.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My area ;

Posted at8:14
Coronavirus: Cases confirmed in Hampshire and Isle of Wight
The latest number of cases of Covid-19 has been confirmed as 7,047 in Hampshire and 433 on the Isle of Wight.

A rise of 24 cases in Hampshire since Saturday. The figure remains the same for the Isle of Wight.

Hampshire - 5,456

Southampton - 1,027

Portsmouth - 564

Isle of Wight - 433

The BBC also provides this tool with a breakdown of the latest national coronavirus figures.

The coronavirus, which causes the respiratory disease, known as Covid-19, was first confirmed in the UK at the end of January.

Data as of Sunday 6 September.

Are those figures the total infections recorded on that day/week, or are they the number of infections per 100,000 population?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Are those figures the total infections recorded on that day/week, or are they the number of infections per 100,000 population?

The cases are from August 18 to Sunday 6th, so I am fine with those details. Looks like an increase of 250 cases.
Its from bbc.co.uk local news, Hampshire.
8:3719 Aug
Coronavirus: Confirmed cases in Hampshire and Isle of Wight
The latest number of cases of Covid-19 has been confirmed as 6,720 in Hampshire and 428 on the Isle of Wight.

That is an increase of 16 in Hampshire since Monday - the figure remains the same on the Isle of Wight.

Hampshire - 5,206

Southampton - 988

Portsmouth - 526

Isle of Wight - 428

The coronavirus, which causes the respiratory disease known as Covid-19, was first confirmed in the UK at the end of January.

Data as of Tuesday 18 Augus

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news of a new trial on the benefit of VitD (in the form of calcifediol) on ppl admitted to hospital with Covid.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764

small trial, but truly impressive results. Hopefully someone will now fund a proper large scale trial.
Although nothing is stopping any of us supplementing in the meantime.

if you want John Campbell’s discussion on it (and another study) then here is the vid.

I have already encouraged all my family and friends to take plenty of VitD3 since it first hit the headlines in relation to Covid. I will circulate this video too, just in case they have trailed off in taking them. :D

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Max68

Excellent news of a new trial on the benefit of VitD (in the form of calcifediol) on ppl admitted to hospital with Covid.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764

small trial, but truly impressive results. Hopefully someone will now fund a proper large scale trial.
Although nothing is stopping any of us supplementing in the meantime.

if you want John Campbell’s discussion on it (and another study) then here is the vid.

I have already encouraged all my family and friends to take plenty of VitD3 since it first hit the headlines in relation to Covid. I will circulate this video too, just in case they have trailed off in taking them. :D

Dr John has been championing Vitamin D from the outset! Be a better PM than Boris!!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The BMJ article reflects, in my opinion, the fact that our understanding is still in the very early stages. Yes, our knowledge of this new virus and the human immune system’s reaction to it will, I hope, develop more as time goes on. Researchers have my admiration.
In the meantime, there has been a statistical increase in excess deaths, and while the charts show these as patterns and numbers, which we can analyse and question, each of these deaths is a person, an individual.
I’m reminded of Sissy in Dickens’ Hard Times’ whose response to Gradgrind’s extolling of utilitarianism was to remind him that each ‘fact’ was a human being.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some more interesting numbers from the ONS today
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 10.38.07.png
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 10.38.13.png

Higher deaths not driven by COVID (more likely post lockdown effects) and a significant decrease in COVID deaths from last week even using the dodgy Govt criteria.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it define “underlying condition”. I couldn’t see it. This saying much the same as most other reports in that most of the dead were not perfect specimens of health and were mostly old.

“Underlying conditions“ can be a very long way from almost dead or serious long term additional complications.

You, and I, have an underlying condition so we would be written off as “Well they weren’t healthy anyway so they don’t count” despite not being in our 80’s. Personally I would hope for a few more decades yet of relatively good health if I can avoid a bad dose of covid in the meantime.

Reactions: KK123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it define “underlying condition”. I couldn’t see it. This saying much the same as most other reports in that most of the dead were not perfect specimens of health and were mostly old.

“Underlying conditions“ can be a very long way from almost dead or serious long term additional complications.

You, and I, have an underlying condition so we would be written off as “Well they weren’t healthy anyway so they don’t count” despite not being in our 80’s. Personally I would hope for a few more decades yet of relatively good health if I can avoid a bad dose of covid in the meantime.

But my average age isn't 84 though...and my personal "underlying condition" isn't really one any more so....

I'm going for a couple more decades too but don't expect anyone to look out for me.

Plus I'll have to really go some to find anyone to infect me where I live..

Tannith

BANNED
But my average age isn't 84 though...and my personal "underlying condition" isn't really one any more so....

I'm going for a couple more decades too but don't expect anyone to look out for me.

Plus I'll have to really go some to find anyone to infect me where I live..
I do hope you are back at work since you are so lucky as not to be vulnerable to the virus. The country needs people like you who either won't catch it or would not suffer much if they did, to do their duty and return to work.