Different Manufacturers

Cosy

Has anyone found that if their Metformin is from a different pharmasist and made by a different manufacturers it can affect side effects different from previous medication. I ask this because I have started taking a different manufacturers Metformin yesterday and the having to go urgently to the loo has started again, this had become manageable recently, the only thing that is different is the medication I have not eaten anything different etc. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this happening to them. :oops:

ChocFish

Hi Cosy - you have a point there, I have noticed this happening with some medication in the past, I once took some tablets back to the pharmacy but was told at the time that it was only in my imagination or that the side effects are from something else, that was some years ago though and later I insisted on being given one brand only and was ok after that.

I think that all generic drugs have to have the same active ingredients, eg 500g metformin is the same but whatever else is added to the metformin may differ between all those manufacturers and this can cause different side effects? Ask your pharmacist/doctor about this.

All the best

Karen

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i have that with a few of my meds as im allergic to loads,its the fillers they put in,i once had an allergy to some new allergy tabs and dr said i was mas they were exactly the same,but on checking everything the new ones also had talc in so id to stick to the more expensive ones which incidentally i have to buy myself now grrr,
so its definately not just you
amanda :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I always read the paper inside the medication box. It does warn about fillers. I personally get Metformin and my other meds in different packaging and from different manufacturers each time, but have never had trouble, except in picking the wrong one up. I'm surw I have sometimes taken the wrong stuff, because the packaging fooled me. so far it hasn't hurt me.

Jacqhar

My last lot of metformin has tasted terrible, they have a different coating and I had problems the first few days - needed to keep the loo paper in the fridge :oops: I thought it was just a bug but thinking about it could have been metformin from a different manufacturer.

Jacqueline

Cosy

Thank you for all your comments, I think it probably is down to different coating or something hopefully as the days go on it will 'calm' down as it has before.