What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got car back from garage and dug up a bush that grown too big

Brunch: final portion of cauliflower cheese savoury thingy
D: 2 sausages done in airfryer, broccoli and small carrot. Later some ff greek with blueberies and seeds

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook welcome to your own bed!!!
@Annb congrats on your significant lower BG! Must be a relief. Also, looks like I have to take back what I said about Mars Bars! We have nothing like your ubiquitous chippys. Burger joints, real and franchise, abound, so maybe they have been hiding in plain sight all around me!
@maglil55 the chromosomes made me laugh. Tom Jones to the rescue! But you will have to explain Geordie to me; I don't speak Scots dialects
@Brunneria my "like" is for the food and the frolicking puppy image. Do not like Covid symptoms one bit. Could you hire a dog walker once a day? Would they even come?
@ziggy_w our particular state fair has food booths from the ag departments of two state universities. One specializes in amaaaazing barbecued chicken, and the other in fried catfish and hush puppies. I'd forgotten those! Fair cancelled this year of course.
@ANTJE so glad the dentist went well!! Your dinner plate is so elegant and delicious looking! Maybe if you take the pressure off by saying you don't have to cook, your creativity bubbles up and cooking isn't a chore!
@maglil55 again oh my stars that is hilarious with Alexa! I wonder if Amazon has a free pickup service for such scenarios... you could not pay me to get one.
@Rachox great day you had!
You can buy ANYTHING by accident with Alexa. I read a story where a woman said to her daughter, Alexis, could you bring your laundry down? And Alexa said, ordering laundry detergent......
Had one of my days where due to this and that I am so tired I can barely walk. Spent all day on the couch, reading and napping. And eating. Feeling some better now, and I hope tomorrow will be normal.
Bfast avocado, boiled egg
Next meal 2 boiled eggs, double serving pecans, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Supper tin of sardines, spinach/hm salad dressing, cherry tomatoes all colors!, maybe some swiss, and flax crisps/dilute soy. The salad dressing I made this evening, and it's never good the first several days. Takes a while to "mature".
Good night all, and good morning when you're up!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@zauberflote - I hope you're feeling better today and I'm hoping your hush puppies aren't the same the same ours. Hush Puppies over here are (really comfortable) shoes https://www.hushpuppies.co.uk.

I've never had a problem with Alexa - apart from her very occasional night time chats with herself - I use them mainly to play music and as an alarm clock, kitchen timer and medication reminder system - pretty much the same things as I use my phone for although its fairly rubbish to make phone calls on - but I think that's more because I live in a rural area. I've got a mobile battery pack thing which allows me to take one of the dots out in the garden so I can play music while I'm out there. I wouldn't be without them, especially the one in the kitchen.

@DJC3 - I did dry January this year (after a bit of a boozy Christmas) and, looking back at my BG diary, it didn't do much to reduce BGs but I did feel healthier in other ways.

@Mrs T 123 - I didn't know battered and deep fried pizza had a proper name! Knowing it was called pizza crunch would have made writing it on our menu blackboard so much easier!

So, today....

Breakfast: M&S Arbroath kippers

Dinner: Linda McCartney burgers with avocado, a large mixed salad and garlic mayo

Black decaff coffee until lunch time then water for the rest of the day.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
NOOOO!
Don't do it. Pork scratchings keep dentists in work (or on the golf course)
Went well! So pork scratchings are back on the menu :)
@ANTJE so glad the dentist went well!! Your dinner plate is so elegant and delicious looking! Maybe if you take the pressure off by saying you don't have to cook, your creativity bubbles up and cooking isn't a chore!
I think this is exactly what happens :)
The best part of this is that I have surprise dinners pretty regularly, even though I live alone and have to cook myself :happy:

I always have a giggle when thinking of this other @ANTJE . She has never posted anything and has been a member for some 5 years. If ever she logs back on she'll find soooo many posts in which she has been tagged :hilarious:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 12.5! Expected, I suppose - it was 18.9 last night. I took extra insulin but it has stayed pretty high.

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with butter and milk. Higher insulin dose first.

Later I could have the rest of my ham and veg soup. Don't really fancy the idea, but I'd better. Stomach seems to have recovered from having it the day before yesterday.

Just had a phone call from the local hospital telling me to go in for both endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. 7.30 am Thursday 17th. That's pretty quick. They didn't know I am diabetic (so appointment immediately changed to early Thursday instead of later on the Tuesday). The nurse who called hadn't been told anything about taking Metformin (or not) although previously I have been told to stop taking it for 3 days beforehand. Also, this time there will be no nasty medicine to clear the bowel for taking on the day before. Odd. Maybe I should just go heavy on the veg the day or 2 before Thursday.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[ USER=52911]@maglil55[/USER] the chromosomes made me laugh. Tom Jones to the rescue! But you will have to explain Geordie to me; I don't speak Scots dialects

Nothing to do with us! Geordie are the inhabitants of Newcastle upon Tyne/Tyne-Teeside area. Here's a Newcastle University Guide to basic Geordie. YI "Wy Aye" is No. 2 on the list meaning "Yes".
We were all in Newcastle last year for our annual outing. I bought the boys a couple of T Shirts with Geordie on them
A'Rite - Alright? Surprised that wasn't in the Top 10.

https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/10-geordie-phrases-hear-study-ncl/

Reactions: zauberflote

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Nothing to do with us! Geordie are the inhabitants of Newcastle upon Tyne/Tyne-Teeside area. Here's a Newcastle University Guide to basic Geordie. YI "Wy Aye" is No. 2 on the list meaning "Yes".
We were all in Newcastle last year for our annual outing. I bought the boys a couple of T Shirts with Geordie on them
A'Rite - Alright? Surprised that wasn't in the Top 10.

https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncoursetoncl/10-geordie-phrases-hear-study-ncl/

I've had that Tom Jones 'Delilah' as an ear worm since your previous post!! I even Youtubed it:

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annb are you having the sigmoidoscop to see if you have diverticulitis I also had the colonoscopy which included the sigmoidoscop part and the outcome was i have diverticulitis was really pleased when it was over Hope all goes well for you
FBG today 10.2
breakfast 2x bacon with egg and mushrooms
Lunch a very thin slice of my home made bread toasted with Pilchards
Dinner not sure what to have yet
Hope you all have a good day

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Annb are you having the sigmoidoscop to see if you have diverticulitis I also had the colonoscopy which included the sigmoidoscop part and the outcome was i have diverticulitis was really pleased when it was over Hope all goes well for you
FBG today 10.2
breakfast 2x bacon with egg and mushrooms
Lunch a very thin slice of my home made bread toasted with Pilchards
Dinner not sure what to have yet
Hope you all have a good day

The sigmoidoscopy is checking to see if the bowel cancer I had a few years back has returned. The appointment was due in April (every 2 years to check) but didn't happen because of the covid thingy, and I have been having problems recently so asked for an appointment. A feacal test showed that there is something worth investigating, so the appointment was made urgently. Turns out that another department had asked for my stomach to be investigated, hence the endoscopy. They didn't tell me anything about that so I don't know why. Just as well - my stomach has been causing problems recently as well.

I was actually expecting it to be a colonoscopy, as last time, but maybe this will be adequate. It's not the most pleasant of procedures, but better to find out what's what.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee this morning and a low carb lunch of 2 air fried chicken wings, about an ounce of chorizo and some of the crackling from Sunday’s roast, crisped up in the airfryer - it was much better this time round. DGF cake afterwards.
Had to go to Truro this aft so took the opportunity to go to Waitrose and stock up. Dinner was therefore slow cooked harissa lamb shanks - delicious and packed a decent spicy punch. Only 0.7g carbs per shank. Wilted spinach with it but put a few spuds in with the lamb to soak up the lovely juices for Mr C.
2 glasses red wine.
IMG_3743.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 I spend Teams meetings/phone calls with my boss trying to set off her Alexa - she has a few dotted around her house which seem to have minds of their own. Haven’t managed to cause any mayhem yet though.

Two meals again today.

Lunch was the last of the leftover lamb from the weekend with a couple of pickled onions and a small piece of cheese. Have discovered that the pickled onions sold by the butcher are sugar free and pack a bit more of a punch than the 30p a jar Asda ones.

Dinner was minced beef fried with some onions, 2 eggs and a bit of grated cheese.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb - are you going to have a chat with them just to check the requirements before next Thursday? I do hope everything goes well. @Brunneria - for Mr B's test. @Antje77 - glad the molar repair went well. I'm on the list now to check what has gone wrong with my bridge that I can't fit it but I have to give way to emergency cases (which is understandable) as they are limited in the numbers they can see daily now. I'm praying it can be adjusted. @Chook - Amazon (very helpfully!! not) have this system called Alexa Voice Shopping which friend's parent had set up. All you have to do is tell it Alexa I want to buy <>, it then tells you I've found (whatever) do you want to buy it? Answer Yes and it does. It's that easy.
Bed 6.9 FBG 5.7
B. TAG and a very quick slice of LC toast with pate. (Boys are going to school earlier to play)
L. 1 Lotus biscuit
D. 2 Sea Bass with lemon & lemon oil plus wilted spinach. @DJC3 - I suspect you'd like this. It's a new item in Morrisons if you have one nearby. Very tasty.
2 squares of Lidl 95%.

@zauberflote - are you talking Geordie yet?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

Delighted to declare that Mr B has risen from his deathbed.
The gruesome vomiting has passed. Also the sneezing, hacking and snotting. Still has a bunged up nose, hoarse voice, and just sipping water, but v relieved to be beyond the V stage.
We will be surprised if his Covid test is positive (no endless coughing, no fever and no anosmia), but his employer has said ‘do not turn up to work without a negative covid test’, so postal test due to arrive imminently.

i started the day with Bovril and collagen, had goatmilk yog at lunchtime, and jamalaya just now.

also cooked a pork shoulder today, ready for pulling and crackling. :couchpotato:

@maglil55
I would actually LIKE this illness to be covid. Want to get it, get it confirmed, get over it, and trust in a bit of immunity for a while. With Mr B’s job it was always just a matter of time, and we certainly had no expectation of avoiding it indefinitely.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - are you going to have a chat with them just to check the requirements before next Thursday? I do hope everything goes well.

I'll be calling diabetes clinic tomorrow for advice on Metformin. Expecting a letter with instructions by Saturday and will phone to get answers to anything not clear.

Just noticed the bathroom scales this afternoon - in the bathroom Neil usually uses - and decided to weigh myself. I've actually lost about 7lb over the last couple of months.

Em came in for a visit and so she made her smoked salmon sandwiches - white pan loaf, thinly buttered, Philadelphia cheese, Norwegian smoked salmon, thinly sliced cucumber. Cut into neat triangles. She did pretty well. The only problem was the bread. It was cut too thick to make neat sandwiches. She enjoyed eating them though. Then went home to have scampi for her supper.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Restarted attending my Health Walks today, it was good to see my friends albeit in limited numbers. My feet stood up well to 45 minutes walking giving me a step count today of nearly 8000 :wideyed: A lot more than I’ve managed recently :)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee at the end of the walk.
Never got around to lunch today!
Dinner: cheddar and mushroom omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with blueberries and seeds

Then unplanned lunch of Five guys beefburgers because of @Goonergal !!!
We are country bumpkins where uber and just eat and various other modern words are an unknown language but we had gone to a large shopping centre as I've lost so much weight I really needed clothes and there was a Five guys. Never seen one before but couldn't resist, and yes very good burger. As soon as I said No Bun, she immediately offered either lettuce wrap or a bowl, very impressed. Was too stunned to work out the extra toppings options so just had plain but very tasty it was. Hubby had fries so I had 5.

Felt very urban, and hip and on trend :smug:

D: just picked at slice of ham with artichoke hearts and olives. 2 glasses white wine with an online zoom get together with girl friends.

All in all a good day. Jeans size 12 , down from 16 :couchpotato: (I have no idea what these emojis mean!!)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook we have those shoes too, but the food may pre-date them. They're little bite-size cornmeal fritters. It is said they got their name by the Western cowboys cooking meals over the campfire, and tossing these bits to the dogs, saying, Hush, puppies!! A good hush puppy is culinary heaven. Also I wish you Had Not posted the Youtube! I was able to get it out of my head fairly quickly but the temptation to click is like chocolate ice cream!!!!!!!! Bad Chook!!
@Antje77 Oops I'm sorry! I'm on my phone, and it doesn't autocomplete the tags so if I type it wrong it stays wrong!
@Annb this insulin isn't working out very well is it. I'm sorry! Glad you have your tests scheduled, glad no prep but I wonder why. Have just now read your reason-- prayers for something simple and not cancer.
@maglil55 why thank you! We have a Southern contraction for "alright" in the affirmative. It's a drawn-out single syllable diphthong (that's vowels, right?) that goes "ah-ite". Had to separate it for the correct "ah" sound. So:
"Ha y' doo-in?" (all one word, no glottal stops)
Ah-ite (all one syllable)
I love languages!!!!
Yay @Rachox walking!
@MrsA2 congrats on clearly major weight loss!!
Still tired but just took a barre class so I'm temporarily happy tired anyway!
Bfast avocado, boiled egg, pecans, one tiny chip off a Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soy
Lunch boiled egg, swiss cheese, I feel like there was something else but cannot remember! Oh-- olives.
Pre-barre snack skyr yogurt/olive oil
Supper coming up, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps, and something I'll know when I see it.
@maglil55 also prayers for your bridge, and nope, don't plan to embarrass myself talking Geordie lol