Type 2 Gliclazide

James127

I’m type 2 diagnosed 4 years ago

I take gliclazide 80mgx2 metformin 500mgx2.

Latest hba1c was 61 with gamma gt at 73 and nurse isn’t too happy.

I cycle 16k a day and walk 5k
Typical diet is bran with skimmed milk, low fat sandwich, chicken and salad. Snacks are berries or small handful of nuts.

I’m really struggling to lose weight and she has suggested I drop the gliclazide. She thinks this will aid weight loss.

I’m concerned my hba1c will be even higher without it.

Anyone with similar experience?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, people often think that Gliclazide causes weight gain - it doesn't itself. What Gliclazide does is stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin and if you have too many carbs the body will metabolise and store the glucose as body fat. You need to keep the carbs down to perhaps less than 150gm/day to start with and see how you go. You don't need to have low fat as fat doesn't make you fat; contrary to NHS/PHE advice. If you are able to reduce your weight you may then be able to reduce/stop the Gliclazide as any insulin resistance will fade and your insulin should work better. Whatever, you must avoid the HBA1c going too high.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to lose weight eating low fat high carb for half a century, off and on. Once the doctor lost interest I went back to low carb and lost most of the weight, but the low fat diets slowed my metabolism down, and down again - I am told that no one could eat as little as I do and survive - well that would be all the supplies of fat I built up over the decades.
I can only advise, ditch the cereal, the skimmed milk, the low fat anything, and the bread.

M

Member529656

I’m type 2 diagnosed 4 years ago

I take gliclazide 80mgx2 metformin 500mgx2.

Latest hba1c was 61 with gamma gt at 73 and nurse isn’t too happy.

I cycle 16k a day and walk 5k
Typical diet is bran with skimmed milk, low fat sandwich, chicken and salad. Snacks are berries or small handful of nuts.

I’m really struggling to lose weight and she has suggested I drop the gliclazide. She thinks this will aid weight loss.

I’m concerned my hba1c will be even higher without it.

Anyone with similar experience?
I recently decided to lose weight june) I aimed at 1200 calories a day and increased protien intake while lessening ca(rbohydrate intake. Since then I have lost 12 kilos.
I have also reduced insulin use from about30/40 units per day to just 4. Try dumping the carbohydrates from your diet. It worked for me!